1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Heart of Fury

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Khelben, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Damn,it's so hard,the goblins are ignoring defenses of my AC 30+ monk,is this a bug???,goblins are much harder than Isair and Madae in normal mode!!!

2. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, it's wicked kind of tough. I was cheating and using the Armageddon, and it was still tough.

I was glad I'd put all my resistances up to like, 95% or so.

3. The Abyss Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The secret to HoF is to use animate dead (and spam horrid wilting). They tear through the goblins like butter (since the summons are boosted on HoF mode to their HoF mode stats, and greater boneguards are much stronger than goblins. In fact, I let my undead do most of the work in targos).

And you will rely on your mages (sorcerer/wizard) a lot. A LOT.

[ January 28, 2003, 15:34: Message edited by: The Abyss ]

4. Gaius Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

From what I hear, mages own HOF.

5. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Ej how do you get your resistances up to 95%? That much good items later on?

6. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You know, the more I hear about HofF, the less I want to play it. I'm not a woos about challenges or anything, but ...

Summon undead for each and every battle?! That's gonna get really boring, and really quick. No disrespect to ejsmith, but if he had to use Dale Keeper 2 to bring up his physical resistances so that he could live to see the next day, what can I say for myself and what I hope to get out of HofF?

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Yeah, unless you are a hardcore kombat fan (which is kinda what IwD is all about), then HoF just won't do anything for you.

8. thirdeye Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Errr... I started a HOF game and tried to import my characters from when I finished the game in normal mode... but the thing is my characters are level 1! How the heck do I import my level 16 etc. guys?

Help please.

9. Laocorn Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Load up your end game people, goto their info screen (hit 'R') and there's an option to export the character. You've got to export them at that level. Characters are automatically exported upon creation, which is why you've got the level 1 versions of them.

10. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

At the defeat of the twins, the game insta-exports your party as IWD***** etc. Check out them for importing.

11. The Abyss Gems: 2/31

I kind of agree with Beren . HoF is a little boring, in that you basically summon, summon, summon, horrild wilting, horrid wilting, horrid wilting...... although I occasionally use delayed blast fireball trapping, the game becaomes a contest of your mages VS the enemies. Your fighters are just standing around, watching (and guarding your mages).

12. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Bah,IMO Icewind Dale 2 is like Diablo not an epic story like Baldur's Gate...I wish it was not only killing.(It writes more than just hack&slash in manual ... :D )

13. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Your warriors are still useful in HoF if you develop them carefully.
    My Paladin of Helm 24/Fighter 4 deals average 150 damage in one round which is equal to full damage of a Meteor Swarm or Delayed Blast Fireball. :eek: (Thank god for that Tymora's Loop ;) ) Deals 90 points damage on smite evil criticals.
    My Barbarian 25/Fighter 4 has around 550 HP, STR 26(Chmp STR) using +5 greataxe deals around 120 points of damage on criticals. Average 100 damage in one round. Thanks to tireless rage.
    My Monk of the Old Order 21/Druid 8 has 42 AC and 30 WIS. Hits hard with stunning attack and quivering palm.
    Only problem is they take lots of damage even with stoneskin, it takes 3/4 rounds for them to cry out for medic. :wail: Thanks to my Stormlord of Talos 28 who has 6 heals, 5 resurrection and 4 mass heal. :shake:
    My Rogue 11/Wizard 17 can handle himself long enough in close combat with mirror image and acts like a disabler and buffer. Deals around 50 points of damage on sneak attacks with arterial strike(which is not a big deal) and crippling strike(which is the big deal :cool: )
    Then the star comes in; Drow Diviner 27 and wipes clean everything in sight with Wail of the Banshee, Delayed Blast Fireball, Skull Trap, Horrid Wilting, Meteor Swarm etc. Her best shot was 19 goblins with one Wail of the Banshee.
    I love my party. :D

14. The Abyss Gems: 2/31

The problem with fighters in HoF is not how much damage they do, it's how fast they die. Frankly, I hardly ever get injured if I use animate dead and spam horrid wilting, no one gets hurt, I stay far away, safe and cosy. I don't even need to heal.

15. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I know I sound like a pansy by so far refusing to touch HofF, but let me put it this way.

Perish the thought, let's imagine that Tolkien wrote a "Heart of Fury" version of Lord of the Rings.

Every single battle, Aragorn, despite his awesome Anduril sword, has to hide underneath Gandalf's robes. As does Boromir and Gimli. This is because even the most pathetic, smallest, lowliest Goblin can mangle all three of their hides by himself. Yeah, way to go.

And of course, Gandalf would just plain get mauled by the Balrog of Moria without even plunging into the Abyss. He then simply wastes the rest of the party by flicking his pinky finger, takes the Ring of Power, and becomes the Demon God of Middle Earth. End of Story.

Even supposing that is avoided by the truly miraculous, what then happens with Shelob or Frodo being able to throw Gollum off his shoulders?

At the end of it, when the Ring is destroyed, Aragorn comes out from underneath Gandalf's robes to become the 'proud' king of both Gondor and Arnor after 1400 or so pages of doing next to nothing.

Can you see where I'm coming from? Not only does HofF sound just plain boring, it also sounds moronic on a certain level. Just my perspective.

16. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

You're right Beren.. it sounds sick..

haven't tried HOF either, but with all these facts laid in the table I can't say that im not supporting you on this subject/matter..

17. Krysalyn Gems: 2/31

I look at HoF mode as an added challenge for many players...

many games have different difficulty levels.

HoF isnt for everyone, of course, and not just because they cant handle, but for reasons outlined above...

normal mode is just fine for many players, and I think has infinite replayability itself, in trying new party combos, solo, etc, etc.

but as much as roleplayers may disagree (and, imho, each side has their own views on the game, roleplayers like to place certain restrictions on themselves, which, as long as they enjoy it, is fine with me) IwDII is primarily hack and slash, and because of the way the stats are allocated, lends itself to powergaming.

I could easily see myself trying many different combos in normal mode, usually roleplaying to a certain degree, because that is what I personally like to do... but I can just as easily see myself trying to find the best combo to try my hand at HoF, because it is supposedly the most challenging way to play...

I think it is a good thing to include, and especially since it is optional.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.