1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to defeat the dragon?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Ark, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Ark Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

somebody tell me how to defeat the dragon in chult.My characters don't satnd a chance.We ain't got a shot!

[ September 15, 2002, 19:53: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. neemo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] the best and fastest way to kill the dragon
    first lower the difeculty in option
    then cast on your mage Haste,Bull's Strength,Phantom Blade,Tensor's Transformation
    after that your mage will kill the dragon in sec..

3. Ark Gems: 4/31

without lowering the difficulty please.....

4. neemo Gems: 1/31

same thing just poot iron skin on your fighter so they block the dragon way from the mage
    and it will take you a few min but the mage will still kick the dragon ass

5. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I put all my melee characters (fighter, barb, rogue, cleric) on the platform with stoneskin, improved haste, and whatever other buffs I could think of. When the dragon appeared, I had them attack like crazy. My sorceress dumped Magic Missile after Magic Missile into the dragon, while the wizard hacked with Mordenkainen's sword. Don't bother with anything fancy, it generally won't work.

The barbarian and the cleric died, but so did the dragon.

Btw, fighting the dragon is optional. If you kill all the yuan-ti on the map and in the temple, you can skip fighting the dragon if you want.

6. HeartOfDarkness Gems: 4/31

I was approximately 14th level wen I beat the dragon. What I did was cast one or two summon monsters beforehand,I cast stoneskin haste and protection from acid on my 2 fighters and placed them right next to the entrance to the place, I had my rogue next to the switch and a bard behind singing that fear immunity thingy. I raged with one of the fighters and rogue and started wacking like crazy. When I saw one of them was getting low on health I kept moving him until the dragon picked some other target and started attacking again. When all three attackers got low on health I cast a shades spell with my sorcerer (who was utterly and totally useless in that battle) took eeeeeeveryone away from the dragon and blocked the path towards me with the shade summon (sometimes you get something big which helps but if you get something small just put it in the middle of the path) then I run toward the upper right corner healed my fighters to the max with potions, cast an improved haste once and went back (with a summon in front so the dragon would attack it first) and attacked the dragon. The second time I killed him. Oh and by the way be ready to cast improved haste and run afterwards. The first time I killed the dragon I hadn't used haste spells and afterwards I could never make it to the exit on time so I had to kill him a second time. It is a very hard battle by the way

7. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

I've never understood why everyone says you need to be hasted to reach the gate. I just walked my guys over there since I had already dealt with the entire map. I had no problems reaching it. Of course, since my cleric was dead, I didn't spend a lot of time ressurrecting people and stuff like that.

8. HeartOfDarkness Gems: 4/31

I didn't have dead people and I quicksaved the moment I finished resting which is done automatically so then I clicked on the gate but I couldn't ever make it on time, maybe they should fix this cause having to kill the dragon a second time is annoying as hell

9. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

The game autosaves the moment the dragon is dead for that very reason. Its a completely separate autosave from any of the other ones, labeled 'autosave, dragon dead, gate closing' or something like that. You can't miss it. So you can always start over from the instant of the dragon's death.

DON'T(!!) click on the gate directly from where you finish off the dragon. The IE engine has awful pathfinding for such distances. Just walk your party normally over their by the shortest distance you see (around the top, IMHO). Once everyone is over there, then click on the Gate. Should work fine.

Btw, *resting* is not done automatically after the dragon is dead and is a sure fire way to ensure you miss the gate.

[ September 20, 2002, 00:44: Message edited by: Vormaerin ]

10. YDC Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] It looks like you have a fairly balanced party. When I fight the dragon at the cult, my characters are level 13 due to the panelty. What I did was cast all kind of spells on my Paladin before engaging, and then distract the dragon with 6 summoned monsters while I slice it piece by piece with the short sword I got from battle game level 8, I think. My fighter is profession in Axe, so he tossed the enchanted electrical Axe from a few distance behind. (The Axe was a trophy from the battle game room level 4, maybe, 1d8+4, damage+4, attach+4, with 1d6 electric, 10% of casting extra 2d6 electric damage, if my memory is correct.) My druid and rouge shooting "Sure Striking Arrows" which deals at least 5 points of damage when succeed. My cleric casting cure wound(light, moderate, serious, critical, etc.) all the time on the Paladin even when his HP is nearly full. My wizard casting summoning spells whenever a summoned monster is killed. The magic which worked on the dragon after I tried more than 10 different spells, I discovered the red orb which Paladins and Cleric can cast on level one worked all the time. The Ferie Fire worked, too.(Cast by druid or drow)
    Before putting the last pole on the shrine, be sure to equipt the Paladin 2 "protect from acid" ring and "collar of fear"(Dog collar) to avoid acid and fear attack. By the way, before casting spells, my Paladin has AC 26. Your cleric may reserve one resurrection spell in case the Paladin was killed.(Not enough time to heal)
    Remember to drink portion, if needed, the Druid can also cast sure wound spells.
    I defeated the dragon 3 times to achieve the best result, and it took less than 5 minutes for each battle.
    After you killed it, as others said, just walk toward the portal without pointing the portal itself.
    The dragon only has Exp.1650 without dropping any items... sad...

11. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

The dragon's xp value is dependent on your party's level, like all non quest awards.

The dragon gives a much better reward than mere magic items: permanent +12 hp to all the characters reasonably near the dragon at his death.

12. HeartOfDarkness Gems: 4/31

From what I remember from the pen and paper dnd all paladins were immune to fear and gave everyone around them +4 to their checks against fear, doesn't this apply in IWD2 ?

13. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

Yes, it applies. But they are mean and actually enforce the radius of effect! How dare they! Your paladin shouldn't panic, nor should any character wearing the dogs collar from the prologue.

Remove Fear will work for bit, but seems to be less foolproof than in the past. Maybe it just gives a save modifier when cast in advance? Anyway, it works on recovering characters who have panicked. I always have several in memory on my clerics.

14. StrahdV Gems: 1/31

Here is how I killed the dragon; Since all my idiot party members panic as soon as they see the dragon and wonder away, the task of killing the gragon was left to my dwarf wearing the collar...He killed him alone with only two spells, improved invis. and haste, the stupid dragon can't see you so it just stands there and lets you hack at him, if he is still not dead by the time the improved invisibility expires go and get another one ;)

15. Blitz Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Killing dragons is easy if you designate one tank for the encounter. In my game, my paladin was my tank. He had I believe 38ac at that point in the game due to Expertise, Full Plate +1 (from Kulduhar), a ring of Protection +3, his shield, and the bracers from the Genie.

I didn't do anything special. I just threw stoneskin and haste on everyone and went at it. My bard took care of the fear with his song and my Fighter hacked him to pieces while my sorcerer hurled magic missiles (after a lower resistance of course).

Expertise is a truly excellent skill. If you are wondering how I managed to get a 13int paladin check my "perfect 6-player party" thread.

16. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

My Halfling Barbarian had an AC of 43 for that Dragon fight....

Improved Haste, Stoneskin, Mord's Force Missiles, Cones of Cold and some hacking did the trick.

17. Captain Carnage Gems: 1/31

How about Disintegrate? My wizard hit him with a disintegrate after 6 attempts with 3 reloads but the dragon will fail his saving throw eventually. It is really fun to watch him just fade away......

[ October 31, 2002, 00:57: Message edited by: Captain Carnage ]

18. Sixmoons Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] If you fight the Drgaon from on top of a platform, the Dragon cant touch you with melee.

First I assembled all my party (with AI switched off) onto the platform with the teleporter portal (its not activated until the Dragon is dead). While on top of this platform, the Dragon wont make melee attacks (it cant reach). Next, one of my characters summoned the Dragon and then ran off towards the rest of my party (with the Dragon following). Once all my party was on top of the platform I just pummeled it with ranged weapons and fire spells. Easy. I only lost my rogue in that battle due to panicing and running off the platform. The Dragon can only hurt you with acid damage so cast prot acid. The Dragon will take hits from +3 ranged weapons and also fire spells (My clerics had a few good ones too).

19. gem Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I killed the dragon without getting hit once, i cast haste on my rogue and got only her to go to the platform, got the dragon to appear, then legged it before the dragon could follow. Then i used hide and went looking for the dragon, when i found it i stood just out of sight and used the necklace of missiles to cast numerous fireballs at the dragon, it never moved once and i never got hit.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.