1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo sorcerer - seriously...

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Stripes55, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Stripes55 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

OK, I've seen a lot of people mention the concept of playing a solo sorceror, but has anyone done it successfully? If so, what starting stats did you go with? What skills/feats/spells were crucial to your success? And did you complete HoF as well?

2. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Even in HOF mode the only way to solo a sorcerer is with summoned monsters. Max out CHA so go Asimar perhaps or Drow...

Cast summon watch it murder your enemies, rest and repeat. That's the whole game. Don't forget to go invisible somehow so you don't get slaughtered.

Enjoy

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

[​IMG] Yep, summon a lot of tough monsters, cast a Malison, then go berserk with Wail of the Banshee.

Be sure to get as many Greater Spell Focuses as possible:

Necromancy (finger of death, horrid wilting, WoB)

Enhantment (Mass dominate:a key for survival in solo)

Transmutation (disintegrate/flesh to tsone:one hit lucky kills)

Evocation:(nearly all get more powerful, and get the according elemental feat:spirit of flame, aegis of rime etc)

Best summoning spells are:Animate Dead, and those high level shadowy spells as they are casted real fast and summon decent creatures. A powerful demon summoning is not a bad idea if you are protected from evil.

Get feats which increase saving throws, (especially great fortitude) or add a few monk levels (one order allows MC to a sorcerer) for GOOD save bonus, and a very valuable feat:evasion.

Get MAX CHA possible, go drow or aasimar.
    Get HIGHEST con allowed, it helps a lot.

Hope this helps.

4. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    That's 12-14 feats, Silverstar... you only get 11 by level 30.

I would skip transmutation; if you want a lucky one hit kill you already have charm person, dominate, finger of death, etc. You also miss out on Slow, but whatever.

The lightning feat isn't worthwhile because chain lightning is so much worse than acid storm. I'd consider skipping the cold and acid feats too; you still have skull trap, horrid wilting, and DBF as mass damage spells, and they don't have low damage caps like acid storm and cone of cold do.

Unless you really love reloading you should be a drow and take one paladin level.

I have no idea how a solo sorc could beat I+M in HOF.

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Use anti-magic on twins, summon Gelugons to deal with the twins, WoB everybody, if desperate Haste, Tenser's Trans and whack with the Halberd of the North! And hope for the best! :shake:

6. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Interesting. What about making the solo sorcerer a Wild Elf and taking 2 levels of Fighter and 2 levels of Wizard along the way for bonus feats?

7. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

As far as feats go, taking SF: & GSF: Transmutation is probably not worth it. Taking the other three schools feats, plus 4 elemental feats means 10 feat.

The saving feats are probably useless since a solo sorcerer wouldn't want to be found fighting hand to hand. If you really want them, take Paladin[2]/Monk[1] for bettering your saves.

Wizard gets 1 free feat at L1 and the next free feat at L5. Wiz[2] won't do any good that way.

8. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Thanks for that correction, Shrikant! For some reason I though a Wiz 2 got a bonus feat as well.

May I also suggest (since you're soloing here) either Rogue 2 or Monk 1 (Evasion rocks), the Paladin 2 Shrikant mentions (getting scared will really hurt), and/or a level of Ranger for melee bonuses?

9. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Well, full spell focus in all classes:8 feats

Spell penetration:2 feats (or just use lower resistance)

Spirit of Flame:1 feat

Great Fortitude:1 feat

Umm 12 feats so far. Wİth one mage level it can be done I guess. Though I doubt if spell penetration is really worthy. You can use Lower resistance and save two feats for your own tastes.

This makes a pretty powerful caster I guess. Spells will be extra-hard to resist! And it is a good thing in HoF, mind you!

10. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Is great fortitude really useful ?

A solo sorcerer will have better saves because of his faster levelling anyway, high con and the paladin level will vastly improve them.

There are many arcane spells which improve saving throws even more ...

This should be enough to pass nearly every fortitude save with a rolled 2 or better.
    When a natural 1 is rolled even +100 save bonus won't help.

[ January 03, 2006, 17:39: Message edited by: kmonster ]

11. JT Gems: 12/31

Media:
    Gelugons don't damage I+M in HoF with their melee attacks. They can hurt them with cone of cold, but they won't cast cone of cold at I+M, only at each other.

12. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

[​IMG] But I remember fondly that their melee attacks also did cold damage to I&M. Don't their claws deal out additional (however small) cold damage? :confused:

13. JT Gems: 12/31

Media:
    They do, but those aren't going to add up to much before the 33 rounds of Gate run out.

14. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

How does one "Anti-Magic" the twins?

15. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Khazraj: throutgh the game there are two "antimagic" scrolls (the kind that is green). if you collect them, and save them until the final fight. you can cast them on the twins, they cant resist it. and it prevents them from casting spells, and beeing cast spells at. Everybody loves a Sorcerer in melee!

16. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Cast a green Protection from Magic scroll on them. Nothing goes in, nothing comes out.

17. nunsbane

nunsbane

Ive recently beaten IWD2 with a solo aasimar sorcerer/paladin and then took him through a HoF solo campaign (with no hacks or cheats not even max hit points per level and no improved invisibility as I consider it to be an unfair spell to use). max out Cha and Dex minimize Int and do what you can with Con and Wis. choose feats and skills that enhance your spell casting ablility. as for spells; mirror image will be the most important spell you use as it allows for breathing room to get your spells off. also use shield, haste, charm, skulltrap, sunfire, fireball and invisiblity. during the HoF campaign use mirror image, shield, delayed blast fireball, skull trap, mass dominate, chain lightning, haste, improved haste (for your summoned allies), horrid wilting, wail of the banshee, symbol of hopelessness, and monster summoning IX. throw in a level or two of paladin with your sorcerer to gain his charisma based benefits and use of cera sumat and dont neglect to used a ranged weapon (I used a crossbow) in certain situations. keep and sell other enchanted ammo (arrows and bullets), they are worth much gold.

[ January 16, 2006, 13:06: Message edited by: nunsbane ]

18. JT Gems: 12/31

Media:
    How'd you kill the twins in HoF?

19. nunsbane

nunsbane

before going down the stairs and being whisked away to the twins i make sure that i have all the protection spells in place.....mirror image, haste, invisibility etc. as the battle begins no one attacks me because of invisibility and i run from the melee to the western edge of the final battle room. there i summon a monster just to take some of the focus of the enemies. by this time the battle is in full swing and there is a crush of enemies fighting the monks (be sure to complete the ormis dohor sub quest to garner his help in the final battle). then you can stand there and cast mass dominate, if your lucky you will dominate many of them. then, cast wail of banshee to eliminate however many red circles you can. continue this method more or less (keeping your mirror image up the whole time as needed) until isair and madae are all who are left. pick up ormis dohor's boots of speed, identify, and put them on. then focus your ranged attacks on isair as he is vulnerable to physical damage. i used a heavy crossbow +4 and a massive number of +5 bolts which can be purchased from riki. what i had to do is run and gun.......mostly run. the key is to remember that you only have to partially defeat one of the two twins to win the battle as orrick intervenes. the +5 bolts will only do 2 to 6 points of damage as isair resists 15 points of damage on every attack. you have to beat him down to "badly wounded" then hit him with one or two more bolts and he will petition his sister to drop back to the room with the pool. then it's more of the same, evade the slayer nights, isair, and madae not letting them close enough for a melee attack and plunk isair with +5 bolts until he reaches a hit or two after "almost dead" and viola. keep in mind, this process took me 2 hours, make sure you have plenty of corona on ice to keep you refreshed during this epic battle.

20. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

thread resurection !!

how would a solo sorceror survive the Targos battle since you aren't allowed to rest til you defeat Cabalus ? you're supposed to rest to get your spells back am i wrong?

which are the best spells to begin with ? protection from petrification would be useless if you use summons i believe

sorry about the stupid questions but i'm not at all familiar with spellcasters

EDIT: and how do you open locked doors without the knock spell ?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.