1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Daggerdale: Villainy inside the River Gate

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Sir Belisarius, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] This adventure sprung from a group of players sitting by the campfire when a notorious Banite entered the city of Dagger Falls. Enjoy it:

The River Gate guard made his rounds as he always did, making a slow circuit between the tight alleyways that led from the entrance to the city to the darker and seedier Warehouse District. As he turned the corner, he saw a man (Abbadon), dressed in dark armor with a flowing red cloak and a huge morningstar in his gaunleted fist. As he walked past the guard, a woman yelled after him. “Hey! I’m talkin ta ya! She bellowed in an accent that could almost be called dwarvish (Tace). The man stopped, and turned to face the woman and her friends.

“What is it you want?” he asked, sounding rather full of himself. The woman bounded toward the armored figure, double bladed axe at the ready. “Murderer.” Was all she said. Taken aback, the man asked what she was talking about. The guard stood his ground and listened impassively. He continued to take in the scene as the woman and 4 elves (Syndle, Alendir, Adurn, and one other – Sorry, I forgot who it was!!) dressed in woodland garb began throwing accusations at the fellow about strangling some girl (Alyssa) the man apparently knew. “Alyssa the Banite?” He replied tauntingly. The woman’s tirade of accusation continued…“Yer a fookin Banite too, what more excuse do I need?” she questioned as she strode closer to the man. As she said this, other Dalesfolk began to stop in the darkened street, watching the spectacle. The man nodded, saying he had never made his faith a secret, but asked why his faith should leave him open to accusations of murder in the open streets, sneering all the while.

Sensing the growing tension, as an elf nearest to him placed an arrow in her bow (Syndle). The guard decided that the group should be broken up. “Hold you!” He shouted as he leveled his heavy blade towards the elf. The elf smiled meekly and loosened the taut bowstring. “There’ll be no violence this night, I want this crowd DIS-PERSED!!” he bellowed in his most commanding tone. As he said this, he moved between the woman and the man, extending his arms so that his sword and shield barred the space between the two foes.

The woman complained about the guard protecting a Banite, and continued to hurl insults and accusations at the man, he laughed wickedly, and turned away toward the Warehouse District. The golden armored woman and her cadre followed quickly at his heels as the guard shouted for them to hold. Sword at the ready, the guard matched pace and followed the mob deeper into Dagger Falls. The woman continued to call out to the Banite, ordering him to stop. Just as they neared the Market Square entrance, the woman took a swing at the man with her broad dwarven axe. Just as she did so, the man disappeared into the darkness. The party of elves and the human woman darted after him, as the heavily armored guard labored to keep up.

As they neared the Citadel of the Freedom Fighters, the elves called out. They had found a body tossed in a heap in a shadowy corner of the market. Seemingly confirming the woman’s accusations, she shouted “Murderer” once again, and continued to chase the man she accosted at the River Gate. “There!” One of the elves cried out, and the hunt through the city continued – all the while the guard yelled for the elves and human woman to halt their pursuit. They heeded him not.

As the group chased the man toward the Temple District, he began to hear the sounds of battle coming from where he’d last seen the man with the heavy looking morningstar. Motioning to another guard, he commanded him to find the Serjeant of the guard. The second Freedom Fighter bolted off toward the Garrison as the guard continued his chase. As he turned the alley corner, he stumbled into the midst of battle!

The elves were firing their bows wildly as the woman was swingly wildly into the night air, as a newcomer – A dwarven female (Bital) joined the group. The guard felt a cold brush of wind fly past his visor, as if something ran by him. The woman and her followers changed direction as she continued to swing her axe wildly into the air, until finally, the guard heard her axe strike home. As he heard the man groan, he understood – the red cloaked Banite had turned invisible! Trickles of blood began to appear on the cobblestone streets, moving in the direction of the Freedom Fighters Headquarters. The guard again called for the band to hold their assault, but they followed the injured man, ignoring his repeated orders.

As he rushed to catch up to the injured man, he could hear the Banite call out for the night watch. The guard caught a glimpsed of the man as he entered the Freedom Fighter’s stronghold, the with elves, dwarf, and human woman all hastening after him. As the guard began to enter, the watch serjeant finally found him. “Report.” He said, in a commanding tone. The guard gave his superior a full account and informed him that the entire group had entered the Freedom Fighter’s Headquarters chasing after the Banite.

*** Inside the Freedom Fighter’s Headquarters ***

Lent jumped to his feet as he noticed the ghostly outline of an armored figure draped in a red cloak approach his throne. Barrick reached for his sword as Lent shouted; “What is this?!?” He bellowed as he drew his own sword. The Banite strode up to Lent bloodied, yet confident. “I wish to file charges!” He exclaimed as the woman and her elven and dwarven friends entered the Hall.

Looking back and Tace and company, Abbadon relayed the story of the confrontation inside the River Gate to Lent just as the Freedom Fighter sergeant appeared to give Lent his report. As Lent conferred with the Freedom Fighter, Tace repeatedly badgered the Banite, telling him to “git outa tha Dale!” and that “tha fookin Banite should die!” Abbadon just smiled smugly and repeated his request that charges be brought against Tace and her elvish accomplices.

Lent moved to the top of the marble platform and stood over the assembled group, his loyal sergeant and Barrick Arna lingered just behind him. “Now…” He said sternly to Tace, “Tell me why you attacked this man in public, without provocation.” Tace’s face flushed red as she shouted at Lent, “He’s a fookin Banite!! What other reason do I need?!?!” she exclaimed. “He is a murderer!” The elven comrades chimed in.

“Murderer, you say?” Lent asked. As he did so, he looked at the Banite as if the full truth had finally come out. “And just WHO did this man murder?” This simple question caused the group to once again bring up Alyssa, and also the poor soul found in the Market District. Lent nodded, expecting as much from the Banite, and logically asked: “So, this Alyssa is dead then?” At this, the assembled companions seemed at a loss…Until Adurn shook his head. “No. She lives still. But he tried to strangle her! And we also found the body in the Market!!” At hearing such a flimsy accusation, Lent’s face began to darken.

Abbadon interrupted. “As you can see, Alyssa was not murdered. And this other poor fellow I found just outside the Eagle’s Eyrie. His injuries are consistent with a battering by the Beastmen that haunt the hills surrounding the Eyrie. I was attacked for no reason, and I wish to press full charges!” As Lent heard these words, his face turned a deep crimson, and looked like a waterskin ready to burst. He knew what he must do, and prepared his judgment. Before he could speak, Tace blurted out again: “He’s a Banite! Will the Dale protect such a foul creature?!?! I shoulda never came back ta this stinkin hole!”

Lent clearly had had enough. And his annoyance exploded like a fireball! Hovering over Tace on the dais, Lent stormed; “How dare you come to this Hall seeking justice, when you do so with unclean hands?!?!” His fists clenched as he continued. “This is Dagger Falls, not your dwarven Hall, or the expanse of the WILD. It is not YOUR place to mete out “justice” however you see fit! You are not the law, and you failed to desist when a Freedom Fighter commanded you to lower your weapons!!” The torrent continued; “You claim to seek retribution for a murder of someone who is not dead, then you just assume the corpse in the Market Square was a victim of this…PERSON!” As he pointed to Abbadon.

Tace, unfazed, folded her arms together and said she could not believe that Lent would take the side of a Banite over her. Abbadon laughed wickedly. “I may not be a nice guy, but I obey the Law.” He quipped as he tried to bait Tace yet again. Daring not to lose his fiery momentum, Lent shot back at Tace and her ranger band. “You and your band attack a single man in the streets of this city, in full view of the Freedom Fighters on a rumor…And you expected no consequences?!!?” Alendir began to speak, but Lent cut him off. “And you DARE to question MY authority in this Hall?!?” Alendir bowed his head and fell silent as Lent made his decision. “This is how it will be….”

Turning to Abbadon, Lent declared. “You are free to go. But the rest of you shall remain.” After Abbadon left the Hall. Lent’s fury returned in earnest. “How dare you all!?!” Presuming to take the Law into your own hands. You should all be ashamed of yourselves!” Turning to Tace, “I would have expected more from you! You have served the Dale well in the past, yet you almost kill a man on naught but a vague rumor of a POSSIBLE murder of someone you barely know?!? If this girl wishes to swear out a warrant against the Banite, bring her forth, and I will hear it! BUT YOU WILL NOT BE TAKING THE LAW INTO YOUR OWN HANDS!! I do not like having followers of Bane within the city, but unless they BREAK the law, there is naught I can do but make sure good folk steer clear of them. But for your actions this night, there will be consequences.”

Staring down to Adurn and Syndle, Lent chastised them for firing errantly into the Temple District. He made them pay a hefty fine to which Syndle objected. Lent, unmoved merely said; “Perhaps the lighter purse will give you Wisdom, young one.” The two woodsfolk laid sacks of gold at Lent’s feet. “But Tace is another matter entirely.” He looked troubled as he spoke these words. Turning to the Freedom Fighter next to him, he commanded: “Sergeant!! Take her away! To the Garrison jail with her!” Lent turned away as he finished.

Placing her writs together, Tace followed the sergeant out of the Freedom Fighter’s Hall and out to the Garrison jail. Once there, the sergeant unlocked the heavy bars to the cell. “In you go, lass. I trust I will not have to confiscate your equipment, and you’ll cooperate?” Tace nodded as she stepped into the cell. As the cell closed, the clank of metal on metal reverberated throughout the chamber. Locking the cell, the sergeant turned and left.

A herald dressed in the green garments of the Freedom Fighter's posts placards in all the prominent areas in Daggerdale. The placard reads as follows:

"Attention Good folk of Dagger Falls! Public trial to be held at the Constable's Tower, Dagger Falls. The accused, one Tace Goldenforge, is charged with Attempted Murder. The following citizens are required to attend to give testimony:

Bital
    Alendir
    Syndle
    Alyssa
    Adurn
    Araduin
    Glorfindel
    Abbadon

Any interested parties are also welcome to attend. But be forewarned...If found guilty, the accused may face the Death Penalty.

Signed,

High Councillor Rem Stoneybrook

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ooo! The death penalty for attempted murder?! Wow! Strict!

Honestly, it looks more like aggravated assault to me... But I'm not the lawyer.

3. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Frontier justice is harsh...But tune in next time...

4. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I saw her today. My character said "Hi" and she is like I am no supposed to be here, I am in Jail. I assume that something bugged and her character didn't spawn there so she was going back.

5. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] That's been taken care of...Thanks for the message...Can't have dirty "alleged" criminals walking the streets freely. ;)

6. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Seems Daggerdales taking on an LE apperance, least where the town's concerned.

7. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Nah...Lawful Neutral at worst. Upholding the laws against killing people in public is lawful and neutral. Just because the player that was targeted claims to be evil doesn't make protecting him an evil act...BIG PICTURE

8. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

AH Look! the moment Kaali and Himo leave then Chaos swallows the place. tsk. You need hard elven justice there.

Kaali and Himo are back on monday... perhaps we can throw in some words of wisdom.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.