1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How many ALFANs now?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Sir Belisarius, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
  2. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, I haven't So good :D

3. fyernine Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] This goes back to Mesmero and his blue skin hang up. Do you play uptight cleric types a lot ?

You're playing a FANTASY game dude!!!!?????? FANTASY...which means that you can use your fantasy and fantasise about possibilities. Jeez Louise . . .did you really say, keep it realistic????????

So, someone named Gary Gygax wrote a couple of books which got syndicated into an encyclopedia - and maybe somewhere in the vast waste of paper that most of those tomes are there's a small line saying that orcs happen to have a certain skin colour - but . . . .who the **** cares?

Use your imagination, the books weren't written to become doctrinal religious documents, never to be questioned.

That is part of the fun of playing the game - well, to me at least. I shall continue to play pink, blue, green and spotted orcs whenever I get the chance and if you don't like it when you meet me in game, take out your sword and put to death this heretical aberration of Faerunian fauna!

4. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I haven't been on ALFA for over two weeks, I hope that Kaali's still alive...

Ah. I keep on the ALFA forums every now and then.
    Kaali better still be alive! If shes gone then I got plans for a female dwarf :)

5. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Why fight with 20 other players for DM time, come to BG if you start another char where its often 3:1 or some such Player - DM ratio :D

6. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Because then I'm probably even more likely to get killed than I am at the moment.
    I haven't had a character alive for very much more than a day at the moment.

7. Danubus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

well, if you want a place for some great rp and need a change of scenery from TVS or DD, IcewindDale is going Live next week. We are just putting last minute touches to the server.

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Shameless self-promotion Danubus ... but I like it!

IWD is a great server (I was there on open vault night).

Voramier ... how about an open vault night in the swamp. That would get the fear out of me (the rumors of the place keep me from setting foot in there!!!)

9. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

umm, we are a Live server. How would we run a an 'open vault' night? Just tell all the Live players "oh, sorry, no play tonight for you!"?

10. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

North Cormeir was able to do it during the last vault update.

Just a brainstorm ... if I was serious I'd have posted it on the ALFA forum ;) Here I can just be myself and make stupid suggestions.

One idea would be to have a monthly or quarterly open vault night. That way people could goof off, get revenge on those monsters that had been squishing them in "real ALFA". Just a stupid idea. *shrug*

11. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

What's an open vault night? :confused:

12. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Well, what we did on NC was that we opened up the servers while the character vault was down... you had to log on with a new char, we put a few XP levers in the starting area.. and let people go crazy. I logged on as a player for once, and spent all night receiving payback from my regular players... :(

But mind, the char vault going down for a long time like that is extremely rare. It has only happened that one time since I joined alfa (march or april, can't quite recall).

Either way, doing this had a downside.. Certain players received their free xp (I think it was up to level 9), and ran away to high level areas to kill everything.. thus spoiling a few surprises for their low-level live chars.

13. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

yup. there are plenty of areas on TVS that no one has been to yet. I don't need to see any throwaway high levelers smashing through the Dungeon of Weeping Sorrow or the Fire Ant nest. I'd rather the first person ot set foot in there be a real character who has actually earned it.

14. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The Dungeon of Weeping Sorrow...uhhh...that sounds disturbingly prophetic :eek:

Math, the Beta servers are essentially 'open vaults' all the time. For example, you can log onto Loudwater with a local vault character, pre-made to a suitably high level in order to test a large amount of content in a short period of time (I have a L10 rogue/wizard on Loudwater). Servers that are in Beta 2 and 3 don't allow you to bring in your own pre-leveled PCs, but there is often an auto leveler available to grant a few levels. And you can also just ask a DM if there's any higher level content that needs to be tested on their server. Just be careful what you ask for ;) I was doing some testing on Selgaunt the other night when the HDM logged on and asked for some help. I said "Sure, no problem." He says "Great! I need help testing resurrections at the temple." I can safely say that resurrection script was working properly :p

15. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Just a thought. Kinda irrelvant now. I'm taking a vaction from ALFA ... been trying to for a month now but the hook had been too firmly set in my jaw. Pulling it out was more painful than I anticipated.

More on this later though (like you care :p ) ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.