1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How many ALFANs now?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Sir Belisarius, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, I'm on a small Island in the mid Pacific. Not sure when you actually play, but I seem to overlap fairly often with a goodly number of Aussies and Kiwis. I DM regularly from around 6pm to 10pm in the GMT-10 timezone. That's mid afternoon for folks on the other side of the date line. I am on later once or twice a week (usually my Tues/Wed).

Downside is that I DM on TVS, while most folks here play on DD. But if you don't play with them anyway, join the party on in the Swamp. Its fun, just ask Gnolyn. :cool:

2. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I think everyone should give the Swamp a try. It's definitely worth your while. And not nearly as lethal as many people think...at least, once you get used to it ;)

Seriously, if you're having trouble finding people to play with, including DMs, you should consider moving to another server. ALFA is no fun alone. Take a look at some of the other server threads (on the ALFA forums) to get an idea of when players and DMs are most likely going to be on. And then stick around for a while and see how it goes. A lot of ALFAns tend to create a character, logon, and if nothing happens after the first hour, log off and go back to their old server. I've yet to be disappointed on any server, although the Vast Swamp is more to my tastes.

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

At this very moment for example, there are only two servers with anyone on. These are Daggerdale (4 players) and a Vast swamp (3 players). But both which are so big areas it's usually very hard to find any one.
    So changing servers won't work.

4. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

That's rather misleading. TVS is a very large server, but it only has six 'urban' areas spread over 4 townships. Pretty much everyone operates out of Thunderstone, which is a two zone town with only 1 Inn. Sure, if folks are already out of town, you aren't going to meet up with them. But that's true of any server.

But on TVS, you know that eventually they are going to end up at the Dragon Arms Inn or the commons outside of it. If you had logged onto TVS, you would have started right next to those three people. If portaled over from DD with your existing character, you'd have a long walk along the road and then have ended up right next to where everyone gathers.

5. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Portaled? Yeah right!
    Considering I can't even keep a character alive for a day, how do you expect me to raise enough money to do that :rolleyes:

6. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Its hard but you'll get it sorted, I should reach lvl 2 tonight if im lucky (please dont get any ideas about lvl20 zhent mages or uber undead bel :p ) for the first time as well which would be nice.

Also a general question, I kow if druid wear metal armour they lose their powers for 24 hours (ie basically they cant but for some reason they can wear chain in NWN not allowed in ALFA of course) but what about the Ant Chainmail... It says in the description that its made purely from Ant exoskeletons (the fact that he doesnt charge you for it makes this look more likley...

7. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] hmm, yeah actualy druids are allowed to wear any armor (if they have proficency) as long as its made from natural materials.

It should be allowed.
    :)

8. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

Whether or not an exotic material armor meets the druidic requirements is up to the HDM whose server is responsible for the items. That would be Memneth in this case. The last word that I heard was the ant armor is not wearable by druids. However, that's second hand (a druid player saying that's what the DM told him). Your best bet would be to contact a DD DM directly and ask.

Oh, using most portals between servers does not cost anything unless they are ship travel. I know its free to leave TVS for Daggerdale. I haven't heard that it costs to come the other way.

9. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Mr. Writer...You're never going to let me live that encounter down, are you?

Those undead horsies were only CR2...You just need to get better at dodging arrows! ;) :p

10. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31

hehe 2 cr2 so against 2 lvl 1's and I think glorfindel was lvl 2 at the time... talk about owned :D

11. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Glorfindel was 4th level!!! Just sloppy tactics...Hell, you ran right into the spider and ettercap!

12. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31

ahem the less said about that the better :p

13. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

And I thought I was completely forgotten here. :)

Anyway, if you're european, make sure you visit Arabel.. I'm GMT+1, and I log a lot of hours per day, so does another of our DMs (Icarus/slice).

[/shameless plug]

14. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31

When I get a bit of "Wonderlust has..." I might take a little trip untill then im extatatic I have just dinged level 2!!!!!

15. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Vormaerin and Idoru, can I be honest with you here (away from the ALFA boards where I'd get flamed for this)?

I'm scared as heck to visit the Swamp or Arabel. I currently have a 5th level druid who is role playing a ton, hunting a bit, and hoping to get a job in the Ironstar hall as Animal Master.

I'm honestly a bit bored with the Daggerdale countryside, but don't know a thing about the Swamp or Arabel. When I was completely ignorant of DD, I died a TON!

I've tried to start PC's on other servers (Baldur's Gate, Anauroch & N. Cormyr) but never ran into other players and got lost (on N.C.) or killed (BG & the 'Roch) quicker than you could believe.

My playing schedule is kinda sporadic (RL is a mess) so I can't be confident that I wouldn't have to log off in the middle of the wilderness while walking to Thunderstone ... PLUS all the other dangers.

Any advice for a chicken like me? I know its about RP, not levels or survivial ... but I like life!

---
    On the Druid Armor thing, you *can* wear anything, but techinally you can't use your druid powers for 24 hours after wearing metal armor. So as Cromasis is getting more melee orientated, I'm planning on buying a set of breastplate or other stronger armor (than the studded leather currently used) and donning it when I know I'll be entering a situation that is combat intensive. (ie White Chalk is under seige, the orcs are at the gates and plenty of other healers are out and about) You have to RP this restriction, but we're all trust worth, ain't we? ;)

16. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Bel likes undead, didn't you know that!
    I like TVS, I didn't do well on it, but the scenery is awesome!

At the moment, I have important things going on in DD... Mr Writer and myself talk to each other all the time which is fun, talking about one anothers chars.

Today I found not one... but TWO DIRE BEARS! I need to keep an eye on that...

17. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

There is a lot of player traffic between Daggerdale and TVS, so it should be possible to find someone to travel with. The other way to go is see if we can arrange a time in common to play, in which case I can provide some NPC assistance (advice and information, etc).

18. Frostbite Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] I'm thinking about taking my level2 cleric/ranger around the servers. Perhaps I'll hang about in TVS for a while when I do :) .

I want to join Falling-Leafs rogue elven faction, sounds fun, What sort of Dm interaction do you give on TVS? I usually get off to early to get involved in any DD DM quests, unless Sir Bel decides to spawn undead on me.

I'm GMT+1 btw.

19. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

Well, I am GMT-10 and am usually on from 6pm to 10pm in that time slot, so that would be early morning for you.

We do have a Polish ADM, who likely would better match up with your gaming times. He has been kept off the server recently because 1.31 was never released for the polish edition of the game. However, he should be back around when the 1.32 patch goes in.

20. Frostbite Gems: 16/31

I believe that 1.32 is up now. Can we update? Or will we loose ALFA if we do?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.