1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Character Indecision

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Mathetais, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Galen had a brush with death yesterday and I was 99% sure I was going to have to make a new character. By some miracle he is rezzed, but weak, poor and naked, so I'm thinking he may die soon again. (even had a great tombstone "Lathander's light consumed him ... or was it a fireball?")

That being said, I have three "next character" ideas I was hoping for some feedback on.

1) Dwarven Animal Master (see old Second ED kit for the character concept in the Book of Dwarves). He would be a druid with a bear companion. More of a loner, he would hunt in small groups of trusted clan-folk or local authorities and rangers.

2) Moon Elf Stalker (working towards the shadow dancer prestige class). This would be an RP stretch for me, but he would be a hunter who seeks out followers of evil gods and assassinates them.

3) Human Paladin of Lathander. This would pretty much be ... me.

Any feedback, ideas, etc?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 10 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Character Indecision (10 votes.)

Which Should be Mat's Next ALFA PC? (Choose 1)
    * Dwarven Animal Master - 20% (2)
    * Moon Elf Stalker - 20% (2)
    * Human Paladin of Lathander - 60% (6)
    * Other - 0% (0)

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'd say go for the Druid. Magic stuff in ALFA is so piss poor and/or expensive that the magic using classes have a huge advantage IMO.

Your best chance of survival is with a Cleric I'd say, but Druid is not much worse, especially with a huge bear as a friend.

3. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] I agreen that surviving with a druid is probably the easiest one. You got a very big meat bag if you have a bear companion, most importantly healing spells + other spells as well.
    And besides all that you get +2 to all attacks made in natural surroundings which is preety much everywhere in ALFA ;)

Too bad it still wasnt enough for me to survive :(

But against are weapon limitations which are quite some hinderance. The only ranged weapon you are able to use is a sling or a dart (both 1d4). The good thing about these is that you can still carry a shield with it.
    Of course this is all powerplaying perpective. Roleplaying one is quite a bit better couse i bet you dont see lits of dwarves running aroun carrying longbows ;)
    Plus lots of druids in ALFA are elves and carry lonbows :rolleyes:

Another thing is that there are many druids already in DD. That's why i havent made another one when my first died. Probably it has sometihng to do with amazing hp an animal companion has even at lvl1 ;)

I voted for Paladin becouse you really dont see any at all up there... at least i havent. Same with monks.

I am amazed however that there arent many half-orcs ( 20, 12, 16, 6, 8, 6 ) barbarians in the game. :hmm:

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Yeah, if I do the dwarf, I'll only use the bear when it looks desperate. The missle weapons are a bummer too.

Now BTA has that "be a cleric" thought Hallen around in my head.

Shoot, after all this work, Galen will probably live (naaaah)

5. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Go for the paladin :) There are already *way* too many druids out there, and an awful lot of elves. I've only come across a handful of paladins, and most of them aren't very convincing. I'd love to see someone do a really good (pun intended), righteous Paladin. Possibly bordering on zealous even! I'm not a big fan of Paladins really, but I've yet to see one done 'right'. The closest characters I've seen are basically warriors who happen to talk a bit more about their god.

6. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] The reason you don't see many paladins played right is Darwinism. "OK you lot, retreat if you like. I'll stand here and battle all these orcsssgggh...."
    Similarly, if your druid really is a loner
    a) He won't have as much fun.
    b) He won't last too long.
    :)

7. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I just think it's funny that in may pnp campaign, clerics were rare, because no one wanted to play them...Yet in ALFA, clerics may just be the most powerful players in the game!

Magic is scarce, unless you have a ton of gold, or the ability to cast...You is dead! See paladin, ranger.

8. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Hehe. Yep, that's one reason there aren't many Palies around ;) Of course, a Paladin that wants to survive should put a few more points to Wis, and maybe an extra point or two to Int.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.