1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ALFA adventures

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Gothmog, Jun 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Congratulations!!! 6th level!!! You've made quite a character! No easy feat in ALFA. WhooHoo! I've been mia lately...A lot of work, and my spare time has been used up playing TOEE!

2. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] Just be living Cromasis :D

I'll be having my first custom-made stuff in the game soon. Boiled leather, and a nice large shield. My char is getting more and more complete each day i wait, for this week to end (school is madness :mad: ) and in the weekend New guy :)
    The only problem i'm facing now is his name. I've gotten some, that i like but some dont sound too halflinglike. I think. :heh:
    I've also tried some name generators but they're just repeating prety much the same names over and over again. :(

Where do you folks get your char names?

3. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

*snivels*

Wish I could get back online. Blaster worm on Home PC, so here I am at school :(

Kaali still lives. Do you think that a ranger cleric of corellon Larethian could get in on the circle?

Kaali is doing really well! I might actually hit level 3!

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Well I might actully hit... Level two! :eek:
    I kept my character alive for one whole day today!
    Royln Bladebite!
    I met some druid and we went and hunted goblins and ants and birds and black villains, and we where going to head off to some other city, where he is from, but he had to leave :(
    Oh well, maybe later.
    Well, I'm half way to getting my character up to level two!

5. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I finally picked up SoU. After about a 2 month reprieve it's back to the Swamp for me :)

Need to make a new character though. I retired my 4th level female rogue before ALFA updated to SoU. I'm thinking of a gnome cleric of Baravar Cloakshadow this time.

Rotku: If keeping characters alive is proving difficult, I would suggest not focusing so much on 'leveling'. While it's always exciting to see that your PC earned 100 xp, I've found that it drives more 'risky' behaviour ("Only 250 xp to next level! Gotta finish one more quest before loggin"). Seriously. Ignore your xp gains and focus on just developing your character and keeping them alive (i.e., learning when to run from a fight, and when to turn down quests). Taking it a bit slower, developing your character, and building ties to other PCs really does increase survivability.

[ October 11, 2003, 06:18: Message edited by: Gnolyn Lochbreaker ]

6. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I don't focus on getting up levels. I try and have fun!
    But I just have a bad habbit of making my character's stupidly brave.
    But this one's going to be different.
    [Edit]
    A typical example just happened. I was going hunting those birds when I had just stopped to record something in my journal. The next moment a dire wolf had attacked me, and already taken me to half health. Of course, I tried to run, but for some reason I had been slowed. Death came quickly... :(
    [/Edit]

[ October 13, 2003, 00:09: Message edited by: Rotku ]

7. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Great advice. This has got me killed countless times on alfa, back when I was a player... heh, it still gets me killed on those odd nights when I run around on some non-alfa server as a player. Patience really is a virtue.

8. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

Well, I didn't mean to imply that you weren't RPing or that you were powergaming. But there are a lot of gaming habits that are simply lethal on ALFA, one of which is going for that last little bit. Regardless of how brave your character is, eventually they need to stop and get some rest, or grab a pint at the tavern ;) It's also a good idea to take a break after a couple quests or adventures, mainly for you as a player. I always find that after a while (about and hour or so) my concentration starts to waiver and I start to make mistakes. When you're just RPing this isn't a problem, but it can be the end of the road in combat. It also gives you a chance to make journal entries, catch-up on 'local' in-game gossip, make a safety log, and so on. It's often hard to do, but it does pay off.

There was a post from a while back that had some very good tips on survival in ALFA. It seems to have fallen by the wayside, but you would do well to search for it: the poster's name was K_E_N_S_A_I, and it was titled something like 'General Surivial Tips'. I think it was in the General Discussion Forum, but it might have been in the TVS forums.

A final suggestion: You may want to try a server like TVS for a while. This isn't a knock against DD, but surviving on TVS is much more difficult - at least until you learn some basic skills. Just by watching some of the other players (especially the old-timers like VB, Thamier, Rifter, Fru and others) you'll learn a lot. And playing with other TVS regulars will help you pick up a lot of good habits. It's also a great server :)

9. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, gnomish followers of baravar cloakshadow are fun. But a rogue would be a lot more interesting than another mangy cleric. Though it is funny watching these parties of clerics and fighters stumble into all sorts of traps and being foiled by all sorts of locks.

10. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

Hehe. How about a cleric/rogue then? Since I hadn't played in a while, I didn't realize the plethora of cleric-types out there right now. So I created my little cleric, only to find myself in a party with another cleric, a fighter, and a druid. Healing certainly wasn't a problem, although our scouting left much to be desired ;)

11. Gothmog

Well, now Himo is my third real character. First Jacha... then Roshnak and now Himo :)

And purely RPing... quite the contrary to Roshnak(hunting :o )
    Played for few days now and have 29xp. Incredible no? :p

Danubus... How's IWD for lvl1?
    I meant to go to BG, but i've heard its a slaughterhouse there :eek: Bandits and thugs roaming the place... not a place for lvl1 anyway. When i'm stronger though :evil:

So... How is it? :confused:

Haha!
    The Unwanted adventorous group is born!
    The first members were... Himo, Cob, Moriart, Silverbeard (i call him Silverbeer :) ). Corrinna Fee and Riely Surelade.
    Out of these though Riely and Corrinna are very likely not to join us.

But its all still in bandages, so its not all certain yet... But i sure will try to make it!

Mighty Fine :D

[ October 23, 2003, 18:22: Message edited by: Gothmog4230 ]

12. Danubus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Lvl 1's can survive if they play smart. I would suggest you group though if you leave the cities or venture into the Keep.

Monsters will own you if you act foolish.

13. Gothmog

[​IMG] Last week was a bit of a ALFA break for me. Etherlords II, IWD II, and a tiny little bit of ToEE.

But today that i logged on, after some time, was awsome!. Without any DM's online

I got sat by the fire outside River gate.(heh.. always same ;) ).
    Corrinna Fee came by. We were adventuring together before... The Unwanted adventuring group (long story) :D .
    Anyway, she asked for a private word, outside the earshot of the mass of profesional guards and militia. So we went to the bridge by the Tensherford inn. The sound of water hushed all other noises so noone could hear us. We also spoke in hushed tone. What followed is a secret though :p
    Suffice to say, we struck a deal. A profitable one at that. And one people wouldnt consider a very druidic one. But i dont want my Himo to be a standard druid.

After that we went back to the fires. A while later two folks came by from south. Kree, a huge half-orc barbarian, and another one(i forgot the name).
    They were both lightly injured. When asked they replied they were in the hills, killing some spiders. And they intended to go back, once they got the neccessary supplies. Himo got nothing else to do, so he agreed to come along. Also another fellow went alone... he claimed he can heal us, if we were injured.
    Unfortunately, once we set out, beyong the warm light of the fires, night came upon us all. We dismissed it, as a mere inconveniance for a true adventurers, such as we were.*grins*
    But only a minute or so after we entered the hills there was a nasty suprise waiting for us... Two dire wolves, waiting in ambush.
    Fortunately for me i was hidden, and wolves did not notice me. They lurched after the other three fellows.
    I did the only sensible thing... Run as fast as i could. I stayed hidden a second more for the fighters to overtake me, foolishly charging the beasts. After that i just ran back the way we came.
    Unfortunately, others were either not as smart, or overconfident in their ability. They all charged in frontal assault.
    I looked over my shoulder after a few second of running... and i saw dwo bodies lying on the ground. Third just fell as well. I ran some more, as i never knew if the wolves were satisfied with the meal they got or not.
    Finally, when i arrived back on the road, i stopped and thought a bit more rationaly.
    I decided i cannot leave them behind, without checking if they were still alive.
    So i headed back... i stuck wisely to the shadows, corners and high grass where i could find it. I finally arrived at the place of the slaughter. And indeed a slaughter it was. Entrails of one of my fellows were all over the place, whole pools of blood, and other horrible sights.
    I found the man who claimed can heal. Or better who had claimed he could heal. His throat was all ripped out and by the look of it, it was his bowels that were streched far off. What i did not like though, was the sound of gnawing at the other side of them. Two dire wolves, feasted on them. They either did not notice me (not very likely) or were busy enough with their tasty meal, not to care for a skinny hin and decided i was not worth attacking.
    Slowly i came to the other corpse... he seemed still alive. He also had a holy symbol hung around his neck, so it was a good chance he could have some divine favour shine on us. I healed him, with what limited magical powers i posessed. Fortunately it was enough.
    But the Direwolves did not like the sight of one of their prey escaping. They charged again. I ran... again... the same way. But the man was a bit dizzy, and ran the wrong way. He got stuck atop a hill, while the wolf casualy walked up to him and toppled him back down. It was too much for him. He fainted. Wolf was obviously satisfied and went back to feeing off the entrails of the poor priest.
    Again, i came to the road. And went back.
    Fortunately the man fell on the right side of the hill, so the wolves did not hear me healing him. After that i went and healed the barbarian as well. Dire wolves stirred, and charged again. We ran. Wolves ran. I guess i was faster becouse i was not injured, while my companions were on the brink of conciousness, held up only by adrenalin.

They once again fell to the bites of the dreaded beasts. Fortunately they are not the smartest animals, for they went back to the their meal.
    I was exausted, spent of what meager magical powers i possesed, so i laid down and meditated a while.
    Then i went back and safely refreshed fellows back to conciousness. Indeed one of them showered himeself and his companion with the glory of his god. We decided to wait and rest till morning to go back and snatch the corpse from the nasty wolves. We made a fire, and waited, healed some more with some herbs i found in the nearby forest.
    In the morning we got up... again i went up ahead, staying hidden. Very luckily for me the wolves must've hidden before the sun, to their lairs to lick their wounds. I went back, got Kree (barbarian) to help carry the corpse. Naturaly on the way to the city i made him carry it all by himself :)

So endeth the big adventure. Now i surely know why Halflings have "lucky" property. +1 to all saving throws. But it seems that mainly affects general luck.
    Just think... one of us got killed, other got below 0 three times, and the other twice below 0 as well. Every time one of them got it i was there along him. :grin: :grin:
    And i was wastly weaker than any of them :p
    All had about 25hp while i had 8hp. :cool:

So awsome!

14. Frostbite Gems: 16/31

*snivels*

I'm ready to go back... but I can't find my keycode! damnit! I can't reinstall NWN till I find it :(

Ah...

Kaali's still alive, I have all the needed .HAK files stored on a CD (or two) Damn...Must, find, Keycode.

15. Gothmog

Dont you have it on the back of your game manual?

I do... and to all those who do have it there as well, a warning... It gets erased pretty soon.
    I nearly lost a letter before i noticed. :heh:
    Luckily i noticed and made a backup on the back page :)

16. Frostbite Gems: 16/31

I found the manual after digging around ^_^

Small problems with actually running NWN now, It goes slow as ... a snail of dope. Really slow.

17. Gothmog

[​IMG] Again... Awsome!

Last night i mean.

Little ooc: I didnt really know what god should Himo worship. So standard - Silvanus. But then Thingray comes by and says "no-no hin's dont worship Silvanus". And the day way on :grin:

Ashton Crow dissapeared when the devil Nazh was banished from Daggerdale. He helped escape the party, while he stayed behind. And now he's been appearing around. Thing is, he seems to be living in another version of DD. Basicaly the same land, but many things are different (walls are higher, Springs are a ruin,...). Even more there seem to be different versions of him as well. Last time he came and claimed he worships Torm. And most of people knew he is a Banist. The other times, he is still a priest of Bane.
    In any case, he's changed.

So had the day started. Ashton appeared outside the River gates, and wished to see lord Randall Morn (of which he had an illusion is a wizard). We told him he is not, but that there is his subordinate, who has considerable skill in arcane. So we went with him to see the mage. Unfortunately, the strange portal appeared again and sucked him in again.
    A while later he appeared again. Badly beaten. Luckily Arien was with us, so we healed him as best as we could. (there were three of us... Himo, Arakiel and Arien). This time we decided to bring the mage to him.
    So Arakiel and Himo went to ask him for help. Surely enough we found him, and he agreed to come along. But by the time we arrived outside the Daggerfalls, Crow was gone again.
    ((Boombrakh had to go :( - Ashton was his guy, so the thing stopped)).

But even stranger things started to happen then. Suddenly the ground below my feet were specked with daisies. I carefuly moved off it. Another one appeared under me. Then bubbles started coming out of my head. And soon there was a birilliant flash, and a beautiful, golden, spear-like sickle appeared on the ground. I had no idea what was going on. Arakiel and Arien though, knew that the daisy is the sign of Sheela. The goddess of love and halflings.
    And so Himo now believes :)

Later Arien and Arakiel went to show me the way to Dagger Springs (for the unlightened: a village in the forest with druids and ranger type folks living there). On the way we talked about the Cricle of Seven Daggers (a druidic circle). About what it does,...
    An mountain ogre rudely interrupted us, so we shoo-ed him away (with various pieces of sharpened metal ;) ). We reached Dagger Springs where we went, exhausted to sleep. Free inn! :eek:

To be continued... (when i play more) :D

EDIT: Tomorrow (8.11.03) I'm going to Arabel, searching for Cob. Besides, Himo is curious and intends to travel a lot. :)

[ November 07, 2003, 20:06: Message edited by: Gothmog4230 ]

18. Rotku

I finally found time to play again and it was great!

My newest Cleric, Ereb, priest of Kelevemor, logged on at some strange time, and to my surprise there was one whole other PC there. She was bored and had been waiting for someone to come so they could go hunting together. So after going on a small shopping spree we decided to go hunting goblins.

After about five minutes of walking Vier'vyll tells Ereb that she's forgotten the way, and is lost. So we spend ages looking for the path back to the city. After a long while we end up finding our selves in White Chalk, so decide to go and hunt some ants.

Both Ereb and Vier'vyll found that fun, and with both of our healing powers we managed to survive. She turned out to be a priestess of Loviatar, which is a most unlikely person for a one in the service of Kelevemor to go around with, but after a bit of arguing we became friends...sort of.

After finishing killing the ants we went for a walk around dagger falls, where we meet on of Veir'vyll's friends, called Alyssa. Together we all headed back to the main city where we decided to go and see what had happened under the temple. This all been new to Ereb, he quickly learnt that some drows had come out from under the temple and had killed all the cities high priests, or something like that.

Under the temple we found a few undead, quickly putting them to rest, Ereb and his companions continued down, were they found another door leading to a cave. Exploring the vast caves they were attacked a few times by some rats and other flying things, before they found 'them'. Walking around a corner Alyssa spoted some big creature up ahead. In a quick whispered conversation we decided to do the sensible thing and run!

For the second time in one day Ereb had to run. It wasn't running from the creatures he didn't like, it was running at all. Emerging from the temple, they were very greatful for Alssya's fine sight, and that the monsters didn't pick up their sent, and decided to head off the the Broken Dagger for a drink.

Staying there for a fair while Ereb, Vier'vyll and Alyssa decided to go and hunt for goblins, and this time with Alyssa as a guide we hoped that we wouldn't get lost, and of course, we didn't. The goblin caves lacked many goblins so we emerged from that ralitivly unharmed.

Alyssa then informed us that it was time for her to meditate, so we headed back off to the dagger falls, where we meet her. She took a while meditating. Ereb took the chance to wash himself while Vier'vyll sat nearby.

Finishing her meditation Alyssa suggested that we go back to the Broken Dagger for another drink. About half way there she remembered that she had to do something and had to run off. So Ereb and Vier'vyll continued on alone to the Broken Dagger where they talked about plans to head off the Waterdeep later on.

So that was my days adventure! A lot of fun and my PC didn't die :)

Ereb never did work out what Alssya did for a living. She seemed like a ranger of the woods at first. An Elf wielding a bow. But then under the temple she would be constantly disappearing, so Ereb assumed that she was some theif of somekind. But then later on to Ereb's amazment Alssya cast a healing spell on Ereb and Vier'vyll.

[Edit] So much for not dying. After I posted this Ereb wandered around a bit by himself. Killed a bear who was radding the berries in just one shot with his cross bow, which he was proud about. He was just heading up the paht that lead to the city of the undead when he was stopped by a band of adventures.

It had turned out that the seal on the city had broken and the undead were lose! Just then we were attacked by a swarm of undead, and Ereb, who was closest to them, turned undead - killing most of them and confusing the rest. They were quickly despatched off, and we headed off, to go inside the city its self to retreve a mace which could seal up the gates for ever.

On the way we faced a few more swarms of undead, including a group of wear rats and wolves. Then we came across Ereb's downfall. A large group of undead came to attack. Ereb, getting tired of staying back with his cross bow, races fowards to try turning undead.

Ereb was struck down by a group of undead, who quickly finished him off. In that same attack one of Ereb's companions, Dain Blackrock, a dwarf was also struck dead.

It was fun, but Ereb was really looking foward to visiting the grand city of Waterdeep with Vier'vyll.

Maybe after exams have finished I'll get another character going :)

[Edited yet again] We were revived :D
    Just as I was about to log off, Ereb knelt down to pray to Kelemvor once more, and suddenly he appeared back in the Church of the Lathander, with Dain beside him. So now Ereb still might get a chance to visit the great city of Waterdeep.
    *sighs*

[ November 19, 2003, 00:27: Message edited by: Rotku ]

19. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    It flapped it’s mighty wings again as it began to circle over the wooden
    grove. The sense of evil was so strong, it drew him like a beacon shooting
    into the sky from within the forest. As the great beast continued to circle
    as it cam lower to the ground, it began to scan the ground for prey…Or foes.
    With a great thud, the dragon’s claws dug into the earth near the pile of
    rubble. “I’ve not seen this before” It thought to itself as it warily
    stalked across the green grass of the forest floor, sniffing this way and
    that.

“An odd shrine for Evil…A pile of rubble?” The old dragon could sense
    something else about the pile of stones, but the evil aura pervading the
    heap overwhelmed anything else he could sense. “Perhaps this would be a
    nice new location for my lair…” He thought as he began to edge nearer to the
    grove. As he approached, he stopped short, catching a scent on the air.
    “Humans…and others…” He snarled.

The old dragon moved away from the shrine to view the entrance to the grove.
    Standing stoically, it’s green scales hiding him within the forest
    perfectly, it waited. And watched. Amused, the dragon watched as a group
    of adventurers stumbled into it’s path…One, a female, that smelled oddly of
    dwarf, stopped short as it finally spied the immense beast’s form. The
    Green chuckled to himself as the group ran off the way it came.

It occurred to the dragon that the party may be stronger than he, however improbable, and that
    their sudden start had given him a chance to withdraw…With a roar, it leaped
    into the air, spreading its mighty wings. As it skimmed through the forest
    toward the exit, it spied a beast that would make a fitting meal…It’s claws
    dug into the deer as it carried the woodland creature off to its lair. “I
    must remember this place, it has promise…” It said as it flew away south.

**The beginning to an adventure last night...If you were there, you know what happened next...** ;) :grin: :eek:

20. Rotku

Ereb and Vier'vyll went hunting again today, but unforinatly we both died :(

So now Rotku has ventured to the Waterdeep server for a bit of a change :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.