1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ALFA adventures

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Gothmog, Jun 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Aramis is dead... Long live Aramis! :)

Man,I was just getting a good nest egg going to buy some more fancy equipment too! 550gp all gone! :)

And it was a poor investment too, you with a bounty on your head! I hope Aramis doesn't turn up his nose at hunting ants in the future... things that shoot back are much more dangerous.

Oh, and the Druid was Alendir.

2. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Ants it is ... ants or rats.

No sewers, no lizards .. orcs and goblins only with friends. I promise! (crossing fingers behind his back)

3. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Healers need to learn to stablize, not restore, during combat. Merry saw you go down, thats why he was standing over you firing as fast as he could at the lizardman so that you could be healed safely. Lizardmen have a odd set of priorities too, when Merry started to fire at the lizardman it shot back at him even though it in melee with Rutgar at the time.

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

That is a great point! If he could have just kept me from dying, I would have been safer than having 1 hp in a huge battle.

I'll keep that in mind for next time ;)

5. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I was just at the ALFA forums looking for a right patch to install. AFAIK the newest one (1.30) doesnt wark with ALFA.

I reinstalled my game becouse i upgraded to 1.30 and didnt know it wont work that way. And now i've got 1.11 and i cant login into Daggerdale.

And it would take lots of time to find out which patch is correct on the forums.

So i'm asking...With which patch should i upgrage my NwN with?

6. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

7. Gothmog

[​IMG] Hmm.... I cant seem to find 1.29 on Bioware's site.
    All i found were update from any version to 1.30.

I'm censidering updating to 1.30 and then get revert patch to 1.29.

Has anyone done this? Does it work for ALFA?

EDIT: It does work! :D

Yay, i'm happy :grin: I can play on ALFA again.

[ July 03, 2003, 18:02: Message edited by: Gothmog4230 ]

8. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

W00t! It was a great a couple of days ago, I was on for the whole day none stop :D

From the Diary of Taemarya Vion, Druid of the circle and Protecter of Arien.

Yesterday was terrible...
    It all started out side Daggerfalls. I was bored, sitting and snoozing by an abandoned fire in River Gate. The constent pacing of the guards around me. Hmm...
    I watched a small adventuring group venture in, and sit by the fire next to me. Staying where I was, I listened in on their conversation.
    "Well. That was nasty, eh Monrath?"
    "Aye...those undead... atleast they've been put to rest now."
    "Mirt, why don't you go off and report our progress to Lord Morn?"
    "Aye" A tall human wondered away from the firelight and towards the city, disappearing behind the gates. Two others rested there, an elf, and a small gnome.
    I wondered up to them, greeting them, and they greeted me back.
    They told me that they had been venturing down to the crypys north of Dagger Falls. The undead had been powerful, and I managed to heal the gnome of a few of his wounds.
    Monrath, the elf asked me if he would join them heading back down into the crypts to clear the restless. I agreed, saying it would be an interesting respite.
    Mirt and Holger returned to the fire, and we were joined by another two, a monk called Qian and an archer, Gravis if I remember correctly.
    We were about to set off, when a paniced villager ran up to us.
    The undead were riasing in there masses in the crypts and graveyards. Pulling out our weapons, the six of us ran full pelt to the graveyard. We were met by the first wave of undead. Zombies and skeletons, both casters and fighters. They were soon put to rest, but no sooner had they been killed then another wave set down on us.
    Monrath told me to run back to the temple to try and get the aid of any clerics that Lathander could spare. The undead were overwhelming us. At the temple I found a cleric, Erthen, I told him to run ahead to the crypts, I searched a little longer for any others. Nobody who could aid us. Suddenly, I was suffused with a white light, weightlessness, and when my sight returned I was outside the crypts, the bodies of the undead littering the ground.

((damn, bell for next lessons gone, I'll update this post at home. ))

9. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Since Mathetais now has a panther companion I guess I had best explain why Merry's so afraid of cats.

[cutting huge pieces of his bio]

Merry was captured by a nomadic tribe in the Desertmouth Mts. This tribe had become companions with the large cats that also lived in these mountains and the cats would breed in the camps. One of their favorate night time entertainments was to place captives in a large pit and allow the kittens to "play" with them. Merry's ransom was not paid and he became a favorite plaything of the kittens due to his size. A shaman kept Merry from ever being killed, but cuts and bruises were not healed.

[cutting more portions of bio]

When Merry first came to Daggerdale he came across a group of people sitting by a campfire near the gates to town one night. He went over and introduced himself and was invited to sit down and warm himself. Several Rangers and druids came by and some of them had cat companions, this made him nervous, but he reassured himself that nobody would allow him to be a play toy here. Soon a large cat came over and sat next to the fire and Merry edged around so that the fire was between them. This cat seemed more intelligent then most and noticed Merry's attempts to keep away and began to chase him. Knowing that a straight chase would give him no chance, Merry ran around the fire, thinking that someone would call the cat off or otherwise help him. Sadly this never happened, it wasn't until the third turn around the fire that someone even noticed that he was being chased, and by this time the cat had caught up with Merry. The cat then knocked Merry to the ground and sat on him. Nobody around the fire seemed to see anything wrong with this and Merry's slight fear of cats has now developed into a full blown paranoia

10. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Sorry Capt! I should have picked a bear! ;)

Sabor was raised by a nomadic group of lion lovers and wemics ... was that you we were torturing???? ;) j/k

11. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Last night was fun. I had my first 'real' adventure. All the quests I did before were static quest, or helping other people with their static quests. I was never online at the right time, because that is often late in the evening here in Europe. Yesterday however, I just was in the right place, at the right time.

From the journal of Aendhiir, a young traveling bard.

Yesterday, I got some inspiration for a story, and decided to write it down, before I forgot it again. I sat on a stone, just outside the River Gate of Dagger Falls, when a group of adventurers came by me. Jacha was one of them, I met her before. She really has a problem with following the rules, and she has no respect for the Freedom Fighters, guarding the city, but I like her. A few of the adventurers went into the city, to see if Lent Dian had any work for them. I talked with Jacha for a while, at the camp fire, but when her friends returned, they told us that some bandits were spotted near by, and Lent Dian asked them to investigate. This seemed like a way, for me to earn some gold pieces, and I asked if I could go with them. Rugnar Ironstar, Voran Ma'ferm, Vii'th El'gas, Jacha Lomong, and I left for the waterfalls. At the last moment, we were also joined by another young bard called Hobbie Underdukes.

We travelled towards the waterfalls, and there were indeed a lot of bandits. They didn't seem willing to talk, so we killed them all in self defense. There were some excellent bow men in our party, and they were no watch for us. We followed the trail to Eagles Eyrie, where it seemed they had made a camp. Inside Eagles Eyrie were even more bandits, and some powerful spellcasters. Rugnar died in battle, but we had to find out why all the bandits were near the city. Voran lead the way, when we went into a room, which was filled with zombies and skeletons. After we dealed with them, I saw a note on one of the pile of bones. The note stated that a man named Colderan the mage-king wanted revenge for his dead wife Belesaria, and claims to slay everybody in Daggerdale in seven days. At least he gave us a notice a week in advance, so we could prepare our forces. We went back to the authorities to report this and they were very grateful. They wanted to reward us with money, which we spend on brining our fallen friend, Rugnar, back from the death. I still don't have a coin in my pockets, but I think we did the right thing.

I don't know what exactly will happen in seven days, but I'm sure a lot of blood will be spilled. I thought about running to another dale, or even Waterdeep, but I decided to stick around. My the gods have mercy on us all.

12. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Great story! I was wondering about that Colderan...A few of us met him ealry last week. He was acting quite odd. You may want to report this to Lord Morn the next time you're in the city...Or find his chief investigator, Rem Stoneybrook. He's very good...From what I hear. ;)

13. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Ah! It was you that we saw outside Dagger Falls Silverblade. :p

I was Tae, the half elf that led Rugnar and Voran to the Temple. Unfortunately I didn't ocme back. *cries* because my parents kicked me off while I was talking to the DM contolled priest.

14. Mesmero

I didn't even notice you were with them. I saw you before however. Last Saturday (I think) I was sitting around the campfire, with some other people, and I think you were there too. You had a discussion with somebody whether you should be called Tae or Taem.

So far, I met Frostbite and Sir Belisarius on ALFA. Two down, a few more to go.

15. Gothmog

[​IMG] Oh, you met me too fer sure :D

I'm that Jacha who spits on the guards ;)

But i didnt know that was you until yesterday when i read your previous post above.

My Jacha's pretty cool... and she lived quite long... made up three characters in my head while i played her :rolleyes: One very powerful and two others moderately strong. One even weak i suppose. Well i'll see when i try them. :)

16. Mesmero

You are Jacha? Well, that's unexpected. Jacha is actually fun to hang out with, never a dull moment.

You mean she is dead? That would be to bad. Probably killed by one of the guards who couldn't take her insults anymore. ;)

I see I'm not the only one planning new characters, while the current character is still alive. Aendhiir is fun to play, but I have at least two others I would like to try out.

That makes three down, Math, Tripps and BTA to go.

17. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Don't look for Math anytime soon. RL is a pain, had my last character in the ant colony and the baby wailing, my wife screaming, so I had my animal guard me, set parry mode, checked the baby, came back and was dead. So much for Sabor.

Working on a new idea now ... getting back to my roots!

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You're kidding Mat! Sheesh. I've never even encountered wandering ants in there, I'd have thought that if you found a place with no ants in sight, you'd have been fine...

And I can't believe that an ant or two could kill you and your panther... Weird... Did you check your log to see what happened?

So did Sabor make it to 2nd level at least?

Had some fun last night, but lost Higgy to the Water Elementals. Not sure exactly how because we finished off the attackers without him and I hauled his ass all the way back to Lathander's temple (that's the second time I've carried his dead weight :) ). Higgy thought a full Resurrection would negate the XP loss... Apparently it doesn't :)

One thing about death and resurrection in ALFA I don't like is that no matter where you are in your current level, you always end up at the midpoint of the level before, so the closer you are to the next level the more severe the penalty, and it's even worse than if you made it to the next level at some point. For example, if you are at the threshold of level 4 and die, you lose 3999XP, but if you got that one extra XP before dying, you'd only lose 1500XP. That's a huge difference for a 1XP disparity between the cases.

Maybe I'll post on ALFA about this one of these days; I have a couple ideas that I think are much more reasonable.

19. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Yeah, he had just now reached second level. I was really, really sad. I just hope someone worthy looted my corpse.

Right now I'm torn between staying with a savage, or going back to my paladin roots. I'm worried about suriving without an animal or stealth ... but that's not role-playing ;)

20. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Gotta be careful at the Water Tower...I got popped by the water elemental sorcerer that lives there...He hit me with a nasty acid arrow! The bugger was standing on the ledge outside the tower....And there's no way to get up there to get him!

Had to use missile weapons, but we finally took him down!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.