1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Run vs Walk

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Subra, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

The game default is run mode. Regardless of how "bad form" this is thought to be, it requires a tiresome work around to move at any speed other than the game default. I shall be running when the game makes me run. I'm not going into carpal tunnel mode because of a fault in the game. There has to be concessions made to the game mechanics. I'd say this is a pretty small point to get hung up on. If a person can stay IC and roleplay everything the game permits, then the run vs walk question is a nit.

2. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Subra ... what server do you play on?

I agree, especially since I have an elf right now. The only way to walk is to be in stealth mode ... that seems worse than running in the city.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What's wrong with walking around in stealth mode? So you're a sneaky elf!

Since I play a half-elf Ranger, I don't have that problem, but is it so difficult to hold down the shift key as you click? (I'm asking since I've never had to do it).

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I prefer stealth while walking. It's fun to just appear in front of people...Or behind. ;)

Plus, hostiles have a much tougher time spotting you!

5. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

I'm gonna post the shift-click thing in the NWN forum ... I have lots of questions on shortcuts and such.

On the stealthy elf thing ... my character is a hot girl and like to show off ... why be stealthy in that red outfit? :lol:

6. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I don't think you're roleplaying, so much as living out a dark, secret, fantasy! ;) :lol:

7. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

You've got me there! I've always dreamed of having a hot, athletic woman in low cut leather armor responding to my every commmand. :love:

What movie has the line "If I was a girl, I'd stand naked in front of the mirror all day!"

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    As far as I know you can turn the "always run" on and off in the game's settings.

9. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

If I need to walk, then I'll either sneak everywhere, or turn the detect mode on, Which means that you'll always be walking.

Sometimes I run when no bodies looking...

10. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

I set my "manual drive" "W" button to walk forward instead of run forward. I'll try using that when I don't feel like being sneaky sneaky...but I couldn't find the "always run" box in options.

11. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

I'm only approved in avlis so far but I did apply to alfa recently. I just think that many people try to define good role playing too narrowly and get hung up on bull**** like run vs. walk instead of people staying IC.

12. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

I tend to agree with you ... but sometimes its better to walk than cause a ruckus.

13. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well, part of the run vs. walk thing was the result of beta tester's requesting it a while back. It just became so ridiculous to walk out of a tavern and find that everyone in town was running hither and yon - even more ridiculous when you noticed they were wearing heavy armour, hefting a battle axe, a large shield and a dozen other things. And trying to grab someone's attention was like trying to flag down a car while standing at the edge of a freeway ;)

Running vs walking was also a response to the "I don't understand it! My PCs never live for more than an hour...I've got 20 of them in my vault and I've only being playing since yesterday...everytime I leave town and run over to meet with NPC Bob, I get jumped by goblins before I even see them.."

14. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] I'd noticed this discussion somewhere else, and they noted the "always run" toggle and shift-click shortcut and so forth. But my question is, if you turn "always run" off, how do you tell your character to run when you want to?

Personally, in a world like ALFA (although I've not made it in yet), I'd prefer the total immersion experience over the convenience of running.

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Detect & stealth mode prevent running, likewise light encumberance... I checked the manual and there doesn't seem to be a toggle for running now. Maybe it was in the beta so I remembered it from there...

16. Frostbite Gems: 16/31

With my character being a Halfling thief, I guess its somewhat in character to jump out of the shadows in front of someones nose, so I'm not really bothered.

Besides, in the past few days, Thistler (my character) hasn't actually donw anything, other then walk from one campfire to another.

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Go to the Freedom Fighter Headquarters and sign up for some contracts. Once you have them, ask someone if they'd like to help you fulfill one.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.