1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ALFA going Live...Who's Ready?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Sir Belisarius, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Hey all! I just got this today regarding ALFA'a go live date. If you haven't already...Get your applications in!!!

ALFA will be live as of 12.01 AM, April 15. Prior to this, for a period of time, all servers will be down. During this time the vault will be wiped. At midnight PST (GMT -8), servers will be brought online and will be considered live.

Our current stage of development requires that we go live, but all players should be aware that we are not done. Things may yet have to change, and we apologize if this causes inconvenience to you. We’ve done our best in the time we’ve had to prepare as well as we can.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I believe ALFA has recently been closed to new apps.

I wanna know when my starting server is going to be up! I don't know if I'm interested in starting on an unfamiliar server, which is why I really didn't go elsewhere much. I wanted my home server to be familiar, but all the others to be new and unknown...

Bah! Erran get your act in gear! ;)

3. Relic Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I kept holding out hope that Phlan would be up, but since there's no luck there, I'm moving into a another server, at least until I know that Phlan is finally fixed. Erran, I'll hold out hope for you man, I miss Phlan!

Looks like it's actually starting tonight at midnight PST, so should be interesting the next few days, as we all get going. I hope to see you all there.

Relic MaGrath

4. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

After debating with myself for the last couple of weeks, I went ahead and started on another server too. I really wanted to start at Phlan and will come over when it finally goes on-line but I've been doing alot of beta testing and I want to play!

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Anyone care to mention what servers they're going to be on in case I want to play?

6. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] No one more disappointed than me that Phlan isn't able to be part of this. It seems there is some major incompatibility between the AFS system ALFA uses for DM servers to access the Vault and my Windows XP set up. The wise men of ALFA and here have scratched their heads and cannot figure it out but no Vault means no Phlan :(
    I understand there are at least 6 servers up including Alby's Vast Swamp and El Chip's Waterdeep.

7. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] My paladin (Belisarius) is on Daggerdale

I also made a halfling rogue that is on Baldur's Gate....Feel free to stop in anytime!

8. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Huh? You're not admitting to having multiple PCs on ALFA are you?

9. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I got attacked by pirates as my ship was sailing to Phlan, so I ended up down in Scarsdale. Place is a mess, really needs some good adventures to come help sort it out.

10. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Long story on the multiple pcs...My paladin died battling a young black bear in the woods, so I decided to make another, different character. But when I started to play it, he got locked out. The next day, my paladin was back.

I really like the landscapes in the game...Much better than in single player...Better music too! My only criticism is xp and fighting. I mean, pc's are supposed to be exceptional people. It amazes me that I would have so much trouble defeating a bear with a 16 strength, longsword and a shield. I bet I could do it IRL with the same equipment, without much trouble.

Oh well, I'll try again today.

11. Relic Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'm playing on Silverymoon, there's a lot of DM interaction, with many of the regular PCs backgrounds and ideals being woven into the server history and stories. It's pretty fun s

12. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Heh. I thought I saw a certain Belisarius log onto to Daggerdale the other night ;) I've been heavily involved in ALFA's Beta testing across half a dozen servers. Now that the Live date has finally come along, I'll be on Daggerdale for the next few months. At the moment there are 13 servers that have gone live. As for waiting for Phlan to come online, you might consider starting on one of the other nearby servers - most of the ones near to Phlan (Scarsdale, Daggerdale, The Vast Swamp, Arabel, The Rearching Woods and the Earthspurs) are live. When Phlan is able to come back online, you will be able to travel there...just very carefully :p Oh, and unless you bring friends, I suggest never travelling the Earthspurs or The Vast Swamp alone. Bel's black bear is just someone's pre-breakfast snack in those places.

Bel, just a note on the xp, and the fighting. It's been pretty tough trying to balance the risk/reward factor. During the first two Betas, even into Beta 3 (about two months ago), a character could advance to the mid-levels relatively quickly. As a result, there has been a real shift from fighting or combat xp to quest given xp. So, even though you're only going to get 3-6 xp for killing a single goblin, taking out the goblin leader and stopping the goblins from raiding the trade route will net you a significant reward.

The fighting...well, Faerun is *not* an easy place to get by as an adventurer. Basically, expect to go through a few level 1 PCs before you advance. Getting to level 2 and beyond is a real acheivement, and well worth the effort. Just don't expect it to happen in a week :)

For anyone who hasn't played much, or at all, in any of the Beta's, I recommend that you spend some time reading over the ALFA forums to get a sense of what's coming. The DMs have done an absolutely fantastic job, and the vast majority of the players are great - but it's very, very different than any CRPG you've played before.

13. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Erran - I'm sorry I didn't wait until Phlan was up...Hopefully it will be soon. Since Daggerdale and Phlan are not too distant from one another, perhaps I can journey there once it comes online.

More likely, I'll probably die...and have to remake a character anyway.

14. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] No problem Sir Bel, I've been playing on Daggerdale myself a bit, just to see how a live server looks ;)

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Sorry Bel, but I saw that Daggerdale has tons of people on it and there were complaints from other servers that they're being left out, so I joined on Scardale and just played a bit by myself so far.

Brought a barrel of ale back to the barkeep for a quick 25gp and 25XP :) I pretty much just wandered around town for a bit to get the feel of the place and logged off.

16. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Doh...It saddens me that I won't see you in-game BTA...I think there were so many people on Daggerdale because a lot of the others crashed on the first days. That's why I originally started there, I couldn't get in anywhere else.

There were 35 players on last night, and the server crashed like 3 times...So I am actually hoping there will be fewer people on. Hopefully, we'll catch up later! There is a campaign quest I am in on, and I want to see it through. Cheers!

17. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Hey Sir Bel,

I saw your post on the ALFA forums my last character, Cynedra, on Daggerdale ;) Too bad she died though - she was a fun character to play.

I'm debating now about whether to create my next PC on Daggerdale, or move on to a less populated server. Having 20 to 30 players on a server ~regularly~ just starts to take it's toll. I'm actually thinking that I might start on Daggerdale, and then 'recruit' some characters to come help with the troubles in Arabel.

Erran - sorry that you're still having problems with Phlan :( I hope it can be worked out soon.

18. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] I've talked to a few people in Daggerdale in game that were planning the same thing...If you run into me in game before you go, let's talk about it! Cheers!

19. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] What are the troubles in Arabel? I've joined the community forums at ALFA, but it's hard to find the plot threads with all the technical discussions going on. Daggerdale looks pretty developed, but I'd like having some people around who I trust and would feel comfortable RP'ing with.

20. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Gwaeron of Daggerdale was still alive last time I checked with her ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.