1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Alfa Beta 3

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Erran, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Beta 3 starts on Sunday the 17th. At that time ALFA DM's will update to ALFA Core Scripst 1.12. There are some big changes, the most important of which is NO DROP VISAS. You will need to travel the Realms the way the Gods intended: laboriously, on foot.
    There are numerous fixes in there, the most important fixes are to the Morgue (Morgue bugs should drop drastically).
    Most importantly, we are ready to start play balancing! Do yourself a favor and play, test, and report. This is the meat of beta testing: making the game satisfying.
    The roleplay starts here!

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Does that imply another vault wipe so everyone starts from scratch again?

3. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Yup, if you want to die gloriously now would be a good time! ;)

4. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well, I certainly died gloriously last night :) After leveling up 11 times :roll:

Any information on when the servers will be back up and running?

5. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Ok Erran, I'm confused. I thought you said over on the ALFA boards that you were going to be down for awhile adding new areas. So can we log in there to start testing (provided my ISP gets my DSL back up)or should we wait?

6. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] She's up now, check out the new bathhouse. ;) These does not mean that I won't take it down from time to time to add new content, so I don't advise leaving things in chests. Please report on balance things, like if you find valuable items just lying around or ways to rack up large amounts of cash/xps/items at low risk.

Please note, DMs may be operating a random 'stop and search' during this phase so don't be surprised if you are asked how you came by that +3 flail. We are not accusing players of misconduct, just trying to balance up the servers.

[ November 18, 2002, 14:54: Message edited by: Erran ]

7. Relic Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Heh, it would be great to find even a +1 flail, let alone a +3. :)

Actually, I was on last night, and there were a lot of new faces around. It will be good once we're live, and Phlan becomes the happening place it is destined for. Of course, by the time I got anywhere, the sewers were cleaned out, the goblins by the river were destroyed, and I didn't get a chance to go up to Valhingen. There will be much more of a need for parties to wander further out on adventures, or to probe more into the intrigues in town.

8. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Well, no-one did the goblin elites nor the Valhingen crypts, though by the look of the logs a few died trying ;)
    I plan to be on wed and sat evenings ~9pm gmt for a bit of dm-ed sessions.

9. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] My only complaint...and this is server-wide, not just Phlan, is that it is damn near impossible to find gold/weapons/experience. And forget trying to go anywhere alone.

So far the longest I've survived alone has been on the Daggerdale server. I killed 12 fire beetles, 1 zombie, , 1 bat, 1 stirge, 2 tieflings, and 7 bandits. What did I get for my trouble? 12 fire beetle bellies & 1 cure light wounds potion, and 78 experience points! I then died at the hands of two steam mephits while trying to clear a tower for the local lord.

So far, I have never leveled up in Beta. I don't know about you, but it's not fun being a level 1 (whatever) with a short sword and leather armor! I understand about game balance, but I would expect when bandits or pc-type monster die, they would be carrying SOMETHING worth salvaging! I mean, hell, when I die, I drop leather armor, a short sword, and 50 gps!!! Not too shabby for a level 1 grub!

Can I get a little gold/items/experience...PLEEZ?!?!

10. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] If you are finding ot hard that's good, the intention is to get most xps fron dmed sessions.

However: I leveled in about 2hrs playtesting on Phlan and there was a level 4 within 3 days. The answer? Get out of town and go game hunting ;)

[ November 23, 2002, 01:25: Message edited by: Erran ]

11. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Mmm....some of those things are little tricky for rogues, bards and similar 'weaker' fighter-types. When I've been fortunate enough to be in a party, I usually do quite well - provided my party member(s) don't go running headlong into traps, ambushes, etc. And I like that it takes a lot to level up - I think it's more reflective of PnP play :)

But quite often I'm on the server and unable to hook up with anyone else, either because I can't find anyone, or no one else is on the server. On those occassions I find it very hard to get any xp for my character. I do have a lot of fun running around checking things out - thanks to good hide skills ;) Still, I haven't found anything on Phlan that I can do alone as a rogue - is there stuff I'm missing?

BTW - having been on a couple of servers, I must say that I think Phlan is the most developed. It's obvious that a lot of work has gone into building up the whole region. So, thanks to all for putting in the effort!

12. Erran Gems: 19/31

Yes Gnolyn, there are some houses that can be *cough* entered. They may be occupied and murder is a serious issue. Also, they don't respawn treasure and tend to get emptied early. Some npcs are pick pocketable.

13. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] I wanted to apologize...I tried to pickpocket Fannie Underhill last night. I failed, she went hostile...and I, um, had to eliminate her.

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Doesn't this kind of defeat the purpose of "no witnesses"? You could have just run away; why kill her and then let everyone know? ;)

15. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Mostly because I am deceased now as well. I was stalked and killed by a lion out in the grasslands! :p

It was actually funny...I was in hide mode, and it was just following me around...Then it pounced for 11 hit points of damage. I died instantly and ingloriously.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.