1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ALFA - Phlan. A warning

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Erran, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] You may be used to playing NWN in the SP game. The ALFA PW game will be VERY different:
    It will use a version of 'Hard core' rules, much closer to 3E PHB/DMG.
    Resting will be limited to twice per 24hr game period.
    The streets of Phlan are not paved with gold, nor will you find gems, potions and weapons in abandoned barrels on the streets.
    Sometimes you will find a big red lever and a notice 'do not pull'. If you pull it 'to see what happens', expect to die.
    Unless you go very cautiously and are prepared to run away, you will die; especially if you are soloing.
    Death is permanent, no respawning. It wil need cooperation of your friends to return your body to a temple and a lot of cash to bring you back.

Have Fun! :)

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Nice, though limiting resting like that makes it much harder for spellcasters...

And um, what are big red levers doing in the middle of Faerun? :shake:

3. killamber Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] As far as I remember they call big Reg dragons!

4. Vanadin Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I don't think it will be that much harder on spellcasters than on other classes. Wizards will need to be careful with their spells, true, but fighters can't just plunge into battle either, seeing how they cannot rest up to full hp again just afterwards. And the clerics will only have so many healing spells...

All in all it will be a lot more like PnP gaming, a good thing IMO. :)

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Uh, ever heard of healing potions?

6. Relic Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I agree with Tal, potions and scrolls are going to be a lot more valuable commodity than you would find in a CRPG, closer to the PnP aspect. My rogue wouldn't just charge into a melee combat like he did in the SP campaign, it would definitely be more along the lines of a realistic adventure.

7. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Enough talk! When do we start playing?!?!?!? ;)
    :thumb: :bang: :grin:

8. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, the general thought in ALFA circles is that healing potions won't exactly grow on trees like they do in the SP campaign.

Wizards are quite successful in PnP games without insta-resting every combat or two, so it should be possible to run ALFA in such a fashion.

It will be harder on spellcasters than the default, but it will be harder on everyone. And that is, I believe, a good thing.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Once a warrior is moderately equipped he or she doesn't need to spend the gold on anything else, so it can go all for the healing potions. Scrolls on the other hand won't grow on trees and will be very expensive to buy, especially high level ones. So really, it'll still be much easier for fighters than wizards. With all the gold to spare, fighters will be able to buy healing potions much more easily than wizards.

10. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] How easy that will be will certainly depend on the enemies you encounter - a well made, powerful fighter will always have his place though. I think the general higher difficulty compared to SP will probably *encourage* partyplay :heh:

11. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

So its basically suicide roaming a dark creepy forest alone.

12. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I can certainly tell you that you will not want to wander around alone. Especially in dark creepy forests.

13. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I played a fair bit of HCR multiplay over the weekend and I can confirm that at level 1 you die a lot. I got critted by a lousey zombie even! Healing potions are not the answer as you cannot drink them from your inventory if you are dead or dying. Its suicidal to break off a combat to quaff a potion, the AoOs get you every time. So you need good companions, 3 or 4 preferably with at least one cleric.

[ August 19, 2002, 10:41: Message edited by: Erran ]

14. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Just a quick ALFA question. I was accepted way back when and then recieved an e-mail from ALFA stating that if I wanted to remain a member I had to let them know. Like a fool I didn't reply and I'm sure my membership has been revoked. I'd like to play with some of the SP members here - do you know if ALFA will be taking any more applications (or reapplications)?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.