1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Story of The Staff...

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by The Kilted Crusader, Jun 15, 2004.

1. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

This needs to get going again, so everyone help and keep this alive!

Illtith’hen rose, the staff in his hand. His eyes were red rimmed from tears, and they seemed sunken and devoid of life. Dark and cold. When he spoke, the steel in his voice rang through them all “We should move on.” He said, eyeing them in turn.

Kibrani lay a hand on his shoulder, “Perhaps you should rest some more” she said, gently, almost motherly.

“No!” he said too sharply, but then he looked at her softly. “It has become impatient.” No-one needed to ask what he meant by ‘it’ “We have to move, and at speed.” With that he turned away and made for the picket line, severing it with a knife, rather than taking the time to untie it. “Mount up, we have to go, the forest of Draten awaits us.” They all stood stunned at the sudden cold change that had come over Illith’hen, until Callain broke the silence.

“You heard him. Lets move.” He said, taking Kibrani’s hand and leading her to her horse. They blinked, and at once went about decamping, gathering bedrolls, and covering fire sites.

Callain helped Kibrani on to her horse, realising how very pregnant she was “Kibrani,” he almost whispered her name, she looked down at him “I have to go for a few days. A small matter I have to take care of. Don’t worry,” he said as he saw her eyes widen at fear of him leaving her, even for a short time “I’ll catch up.” He smiled at her, and turned to his own horse, vaulting into the saddle expertly, and turned about “Two small matters I have to take care of.” He said looking back before he cantered off.

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Kibrani was surprised at how little Callain's abrupt departure bothered her. I've taken care of myself before, I can do it again - and this time it's only temporary. He's coming back - I know it.

Her resolve was apparent in her posture on her horse and the set of her jaw. Myrara peered more closely, trying to determine what drove that resolve or where it might lead the other woman. She must complete her destiny, and I must have that child. It is up to you to bring her to me. DO NOT FAIL ME! Myrara was powerless to resist the commands that rang through her mind.

Beroth too watched intensely, but he focused on Myrara. She didn't have Kibrani's experience at hiding her thoughts and it was easy for him to guess what battle she faced. Up to the usual tricks, I see, he mused. Can I do the same, I wonder? Will you remember when last we met?

3. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    OOC: well, ive decided to change my character a bit, he will now dual wield whips instead of swords.

During the next day, the scouting was left to Cadaran, as there was no longer any Callain to assist.

"Hey guys, come see this" Shouted Cadaran back to the rest of the party.
    Five minutes later they were all gathered around a withered old corpse lying rapped around a tree.

"He appears to have just been killed, but this drastic aging makes him look as if someone has sucked the life out of him"

At the mention of this something about Callain sparked in the back of Kibrani's memory, "didnt Callain used to be a life sucking vampire??"

"Hmm what is this?" pointed out Beroth, "Isnt this the same colour and material as Callain was wearing when he left us? and what re these initials on it?"
    Sure enough when Kibrani forced the piece of cloth out of the dead mans hands, its had "Cal" etched on the surface.

"I remeber this, this is part of the jerkin i bought Callain in the city"

4. The Kilted Crusader

OoC: Sorry, this isn't too well written, it's the first writing I've done in three weeks.

Callain thought of Kibrani as he rode. He felt guilty at leaving her, but the unsuppressed thought of Second and Third stalking behind them needed to be settled. As his thoughts drifted into his times standing with Kibrani, he lost his concentration of his surroundings, and it was then that Second and Third attacked.

He hadn’t seen it coming as he was suddenly violently hurled from his horse as two booted feet hammered into his back. The wind was driven from his lungs, and he just had time to turn from his front before he saw the flat of a blade crash into his head.

Second and third stood over the still body, swords in hand. “Let us kill him” said third, lifting his blade.

“Yes” said third, lifting his own.

But suddenly, the wind stirred and they took pause glancing around them in confusion, when before there eyes a figure grew of mist. The figure was of First, their brother who had died. “Wait!” he said, and they did, they’re swords falling from their hands “The Lord In The Willow shall not die this night.”

Second and third stared in uncomprehending silence, until second spoke, “Brother?”

“Yes, it is I. I have exhausted much power to appear to you here, but the man you have at your mercy has not fulfilled his part in my plans.”

“What do you mean?” Said Third, tears in his eyes at the sight of First.

“He is Lord In The Willow, though he does not know it. Fate’s Eternal Enemy and the father Fate’s heir, and thus, the father of Fate. I suspect the Lost knows of this, but it is inconsequential.”

“But he must be punished for his sins!” called Third.

“And so he will be.” Returned First, “But the punishment will be upon his companions. Take his clothes from his saddlebag, and ride ahead of his friends, you will find a life drained, do what you can to make the Lord In The Willow the obvious perpetrator, and then leave. You may then begin the punishment on the Lord In The Willow’s body in the way of pain. Hurry now, we do not have much time.”

5. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The group looked down at the withered husk at their feet. Kibrani's brow was furrowed in speculation and worry.

"Surely this was not Callain's work," she murmured. the thought frightened her. What if Callain had reverted back to vampyrism? Kibrani didn't know if she could draw him away a second time, back in her and back to mortality.

"Come; we should press on." Kibrani moved forward.

"Shouldn't we search for him?" Sadi asked ((OoC: he's still around, right? I don't remember))

"No." Illith'Hen replied quietly. "If he does not want to be found, we would be wasting our time looking because we would not find him. If he wants to join us again, he will."

"Yes. Let us continue," Kibrani led the others down the road.

6. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I truly apologise for abandoning this thing for so long.. I re-read the entire story and I'm contributing again! Illith'Hen definatly needs more attention, and since i created him, I'll take care of that ;) Oh and one more thing, I seem to be missing who the hell Beroth is?

Illith'Hen had been riding at the back of the party all day. His eyes rarely stopped staring in random directions, at random objects. The world faded...

How could I let this all happen? All the things that happened in the last months led to this final climax: the death of Glamrod. Should he even call it death? he dissapeared in a heartbeat, his equipment and our - no, my memories the only trace of him ever existing! The others didn't seem to care that much.. The only thing they lost was a capable fighter. All that mattered was precious Kibrani and her even more precious spawn! Only thing I'm good for is carrying this staff, this burden, this damn piece of wood! I lost my only Haven in this world, my anchor, Glamrod.. Do I even still care for our quest? Let them all get what they want, the cycle will begin anew anyway. We are just pawns...

"Illith'Hen?"

A faint sound called him back to the world, out of his thoughts.

He was lying in his bedroll, near a campfire. Apperantly, it was already night. His head hurted like hell. Looking around to find whoever called him, His eyes caught Sadi crouching next to him, a piece of meat in his hand.

"At last! You're awake again! Where where you with your thoughts when your head collided with that low tree branch? You've been sleeping for hours now."

He wanted to say something, but the words wouldnt come. In the end, he just let out a tired moan. He accepted the piece of meat Sadi offered, and quickly found sleep again.

Silence filled his ears. But not the silence of sleep, it was real silence. Unnatural silence. He opened his eyes. The campfire was reduced to smoldering remains, and everyone was asleep, including Sadi. That man was never a soldier anyway. His headache was lessened, and he got up, grabbing the staff in the process, and went to look about in the woods they were in. his elven eyes penetrated the darkness without too much difficulty.

He just kept walking. The silence persisted, and every next moment filled him with more fear and doubt, until the silence was suddenly broken by a cold, hollow and monotone voice.

"greetings, guardian"

Illith'Hen spunned as fast as his reflexes allowed, staff ready for action, when he saw the figure that had spoken.

It was an man, dressed in pitch black, rotting robes wich covered all of his body and head. Where Illith'Hen should have seen his face, only an unpenetrable darkness was flowing out of the gap in the garments like smoke. The air felt cold, even for an early winter night. He noticed he was holding his breath. the hollow voice spoke again:

"Fate can't be allowed a rebirth, she has broken all pacts and treaties, all rules and bonds. she is no longer needed, her reason to exist is no more, unlike you. You do have a reason to exist, mortal. Certain individuals believe destroying fate will end her reign. It will not. You must destroy all things that bind her to this world! all! She has betrayed me long enough, it is time to end it. And you will be my instrument! First you must remove all the useless pawns: the other elf, the invisible woman, the two meddling knights. Their roles have been played, they are obsolete now. You understand what I mean, and you will do as I say! Give yourself a reason to exist, mortal!"

And then the darkness took him.

His eyes flew open.

"Illith'Hen? wake up, It's time to move on!"

Kibrani stood there. Was it a dream?

that's a retorical question, so dont built on that, ill handle this part of illith :)

[ August 10, 2004, 19:37: Message edited by: Ancalìmon ]

7. The Kilted Crusader

Good to see you back in the story Ancalimon. Beroth is some psychic/warrior chap who joined the party somewhere or other. Second and third don’t like him and call him the ninth or the lost or something.

The knife lifted from the fire and stroked a slice down Callain’s chest, the cut instantly cauterising. Callain stifled a scream. It was the third time the knife had to be reheated. Their were cuts across his entire body, one above his eyebrow and another below his eye.

Second smiled and lifted the knife once more, but third caught his arm “He’ll fall unconscious if you keep doing this, then he might fall into a coma and die. First doesn’t want that, and so we do not.” He was right, Callain could feel himself slipping in the short break, but the sharp slap slap from third kept him away from the bliss of sleep. Second looked one last time at Callain before he stabbed the knife down into the grassy ground.

“Tomorrow, you’ll feel more pain. And then next day, until your part is finished, and then I’ll finish you, with this!” he drew his sword swift and clean and made to slash at Callain’s neck. He almost did in his fury, but stopped at the last minute, and sheathed his sword.

“Come, we must sleep.” Said third, lying down on his bedroll, “We will have to find away to keep up with his friends with him as a burden in the morning.”

“Dragging him behind my horse is a good idea.” Said Second, fully meaning to do so.

“Yes it does.” Agreed third. “Now sleep. We may be able to catch up for time lost tonight tomorrow if we’re early enough.”

“Very well.” Said Second, slamming a punch into Callain’s stomach before turning to his bedroll.

[ August 11, 2004, 16:54: Message edited by: The Kilted Crusader ]

8. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

Everyone was ready for another day's travel, except Ilith'Hen.

"You guys go ahead, I'll come right away."
    Sadi frowned at hearing this, and Kibrani spoke:
    "you shouldn't do that, we need to stick together and protect the staff."
    She prepared to get off her horse to stay with Illith'Hen, when he said, angrily and annoyed: "No! Leave me be for five minutes!"
    The group was clearly surprised by this outburst of anger, they had never seen Illith'Hen lose his calmness.
    "A..alright Illith'Hen.. See you soon"
    The group slowly moved to follow the road leading to the Nukt steppes, now becoming a muddy moor becouse of the winter, and the forest of Draten beyond.

Second and Third would be the first to fall. They had annoyed him long enough. Plus, he knew for sure they had something to do with the dissapearance of Callain. He felt it in his bones.

He got out of his bedroll, stretching himself in the process. He put on his armor, checked his bow, sharpened his hunting knife, and loaded his gear. His mind filled with cold determination as he knew where he could find Second and Third.

The winter had fully begun. Icy winds seared his body, snowfall covered him in a white blanket. He dit not care, he had a job to do, and nothing would stop him. He jumped over a frozen log, and found the tracks he was looking for. He would find Callain, and those two meddlesome bastards with him.

Wind and snowfall became increasingly powerful with each passing hour. It did not slow him down however. The others must be getting worried. He didn't care. They never cared for him. Or Glamrod.

Soon, his eyes cought the remains of a campfire, then a man lying next to it, naked and freezing, with horrible wounds, and finally the two enormous figures standing next to him. He couldn't help but grin as he notched his arrow, aimed carefully for the weak spot near the neck in the armour, and let fly.

Third screamed in agony as the arrow pierced his mail and penetrated his neck. "Ugh.. brother.."
    He fell down to the ground.

"What the -?" Second spotted the source of the shot, and swiftly drew his greatsword. "Thrice-curse you, damned elf!! This will be the last time you interfere with our plans, this ends NOW!" With a thundering roar, he charged Illith'Hen.

Illith saw the giant warrior approaching rapidly. He wouldn't have the time to shoot again. He drew his long hunting knife and awaited the clash..

The greatsword came down with tremendous force, but only succeeded in slicing a trunk in half. The counterattack came swiftly, but was deflected by the thick armour of the warrior. The ballet that followed was a demonstration of the finest swordsmanship, as elf and human exchanged attacks that were as easily dodged as deflected by heavy armour. Snow was thrown up in thick clouds, wood was shattered, blows and kicks were exchanged, and the snowstorm had fully begun.

Both warriors were getting exhausted. He needed to end this.

Illith lowered his defence momentarily, and his opponent saw the gap. With a powerful thrust, he lunged out to the elf, but he was prepared. Illith let himself fall to the ground, under the greatsword, and raised his knife. His back was sliced open by the sharp blade during his fall, but it didn't matter. Second, not encountering the expected resistance, lost his balance and fell.. on the knife. Armour and flesh were penetrated as the warrior's face produced a suprised and unbelieving look. With blood flowing out of his mouth and his eyes turning away, he fell to the ground like a sack.

Crawling from underneath the dead warrior, Illith approached third, lying on the ground and bleeding heavily. He looked at the elf in fear, as Illith put the bloody knife to his neck and asked sharply: "you owe me explanations"

[ August 12, 2004, 11:18: Message edited by: Ancalìmon ]

9. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

(OoC) I feel as if I owe explainations too, as I created Beroth, and there are questions about him. He's of the same order as First, Second, and Third. His title was Ninth, but some where along the way, and through unknown circumstances he betrayed the order and became Beroth, a roving warrior who is extremely perceptive.

If any of you so desire, you can add elements to his character.

10. The Kilted Crusader

Callain groaned, his eyesight was dim and his hearing felt dulled, his entire body numb. He rolled slowly, the only amount of effort he could make. Ilith’hen turned his attention from Third and held the Staff above Callain. He’d become so used to healing the parties wounds through their battles that he hardly had to think on how to do it.

The wounds healed, the inflamed flesh calmed and resided. All that was left were dozens of pale scars tracing his body. Illith’hen returned to Third as Callain dressed, stamping on his hand that he held to his neck trying to stem the blood flow, the blood flowed steadily and he was obviously bleeding to death. “I need your answers.” Said Ancalimon “You seek to destroy Fates heir. Why? If you answer, I can save your life.”

Third, his fanaticism was desperate to save his own life “Because it is Fates heir.”

“That is no answer, Fate could easily find another. It would take time, a thousand years maybe, but she could do it.”

“A child of Fate has never died. Drogul did not become Fate and so the Lord In The Willow at that time died to prevent him becoming Fate.”

“Who is this Lord In The Willow. I have not heard of him.”

“He has always been the father of Fates heir…”

“Me?” Cut in Callain suddenly approaching Third.

“Yes. First told me Beroth knew more. Gods, what happened to the sun. It’s so dark.” He answered. His head drooped and he died. Illith’hen stepped back and cursed.

“This changes things Callain.”

“No Illith’hen, it doesn’t. It’s nothing but a title. Nothing will come of it.” Said Callain, his voice sure and strong.

“But you do not wish your child to be under Fate’s wing. Will you die to stop it from happening?”

“Let us get back to the others Ilith’hen.” Ignoring his question. “And let us speak no more of this.”

Callain swung himself onto Second’s horse, a stronger one than his own and waited for Illith’hen. Illith’hen sighed and walked to his own horse and sweeping into the saddle “We will talk to Beroth when we return.”

“We’ll see.”

11. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

The snow crept into every opening in his clothing. Darkness had fallen, and the weather they were facing was very close to a snowstorm. Illith shook his head, dislodging a thick pack of snow threatening to freeze his head. Progress to reach the others had been slow, and he realized they would have to stop and seek shelter soon, but Callain riding before him seemed intent on continuing. He tightened his mantle, and dodged a low-hanging tree branch.

As his tired gaze scanned the frozen wood, his sharp eyes momentarily caught sight of a small cloud of snow being thrown up in the distance behind him. He didn't let whatever was following notice he saw anything suspicious, and turned his head again. He gasped in horror as he suddenly saw the man in the rotting black robes walk next to him. The hollow voice rang out again, speaking softly: “You know who it is, and you know what you must do.”
    Illith couldn’t muster the strength to give any form of reply to this .. dream form. The figure spoke again: “Perform your duties, disciple.”

He felt his mindset change again, much like the time he killed Second and Third. Everything seemed so simple now. With total confidence and determination, he swiftly dismounted and drew his long hunting knife. He saw the invisible woman clearly in the distance, not even trying to follow him stealthily, totally relying on her magical trinket. He couldn’t help but produce a smile as he saw her face twist into extreme disbelief, both from the fact that she could be seen, and the long blade sticking out of her ankle, pinning her to the ground. Grinning, Illith’Hen approached for the kill prior to her extended suffering.

12. Lawless Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

(OoC=This is my first entry to this. So forgive me if I make any mistakes. I just thought of this and wrote it. :) )

Kibrani rode a little behind the other's, every so often looking around for the non-present members of thei party. Nothing. Just white. The bleak whiteness of the snow. The wind began to receed and Kibrani pulled the shawl around her face down. The snow no longer being thrown at her by the invisible force. She glanced around again at the emptiness and nearly all hope faded from her heart. "Where are you Callain?" she thought. She had been so sure that Callain had nothing to do with the body that they had found and that he was definetly coming back to her. Yet, in the back of her mind there was a growing doubt in her mind. The seed had been planted when she thought that it was indeed possible for Callain to have gone back to Vampirism. She prayed that he hadn't. The voice of a slightly worried Sadi pulled her from her thoughts.

"Illith'Hen has been a lot longer than five minutes." Kibrani said nothing merely looking forward at her companions barely listening to what they spoke of.

"He'll be back, he said he'd be back," Beroth interuptted. "Anyway I've a feeling he'll be back. He's probably looking for sign of Callain. Don't worry."

But Kibrani WAS worried. Where were they. She bit her lip and looked around for any sign again. Sadi was right Illith'Hen had been a lot longer than five minutes, they both had. She looked forward and shook herself, they would be back.

13. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

(Ooc: Welcome to the story, Lawless :)
    In my boredom, I have made a simple map to make it easier to situate where the hell we have been and are going to. Forgive me if it's hard to read ;) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/TwistedNail/stafkaartding.jpg )

Across frozen roads crowned in snow-clad trees and blistering snowstorms, they had reached the end of the long journey to Draten forest. Through the light snowfall, the blurry shapes of the Great Western Wood could be seen in the distance, only half a day's ride away.

Within a few hours, Illith and Callain had reached the group again, much to the relief of most. Kibrani must have been overjoyed with his return, although their reunion was, surprisingly, rather cool. The dissapearance of the invisible elf went, apparently, unnoticed. Perhaps it was the freezing cold, but there was little conversation or display of emotion. The group was slowly falling apart, and many realised this. Some knew what others didn't, others knew nothing. Illith'Hen wondered what course the events would take when they would arrive in the forest.

[ November 15, 2004, 14:58: Message edited by: Ancalìmon ]

14. Lawless Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

(OoC=I dont know if this has died or what but here goes)

The wind was biting down on the them, snapping at there already cold bodies and their horses. Kibrani's horse stumbled on one of the many rocks hidden beneath the glistening white crust of snow surronding them and she groaned as she jerked violently in her saddle. She pushed herself back into position and stared forward once more.

Not as single word had been passed between the companions but it was obvious that they were restless. The wind howled harder and snow kicked up around them like the waves of an untamed sea.

Callain's thoughts dwindled on the Second and Third. He could still feel the hot dagger of their's. Everytime the wind attacked his chest it semed to pass through his clothing and everytime it did it felt as if he was being cut again. He concentrated on other things.

Eight words still haunted his mind. It seemed to echo as the wind howled.

"Will you die to stop it from happening?" Those eight words of Illith'hen's bounced off the walls of his mind. "Will you die to stop it from happening?"

"I don't know," he whispered as the sound broke off in the wind.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.