1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

After ToB: A Tale of Honour and Sacrifice

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Faerus Stoneslammer, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Here's a little story I got inspired to write after browsing the ToB board a little while ago. For this story, I'd have to ask you to forget the epilogues for each of the characters involved, as well as a few game dialogues that I've either forgotten or choose to pretend didn't happen. There may also be a detail or three from the original BG as well as SoA and ToB that I’ve amended, for the purposes of this story. And I’ll apologize beforehand for the dialogues. I’ve been trying to improve them as much as possible, but I’m still pretty bad at writing them.

First, I'll introduce the characters, then onto the story. (I apologize for the length of the character introductions, but I feel it’s necessary for you to get my spin on the characters, before reading the story).

-Samarin Durhelm: A human cavalier and member of the Athkatla-based Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart. He recently saved the elven city of Suldanesselar from a diabolical plot and then thwarted Amellysan's scheme for stealing the portfolio of the dead god, Bhaal. After turning down godhood, he led his friends back to Athkatla, the headquarters of his Order.

-Aerie: An avariel mage/cleric of Baervan Wildwanderer. She lost her wings years ago due to lack of care and has since been raised and mentored by a gnome mage/cleric and then joined Samarin Durhelm in his quest for goodness. During the weeks and months of their quest, Aerie and Samarin discovered that they shared feelings for each other, which matured into a deep and profound love, which they eventually consummated physically, and then spiritually through marriage. She is currently bearing his child, and has been since a few days before their confrontation with Amellysan, but she has chosen to keep this a secret from all of her companions, especially Samarin, until she feels that the time is right. She has been using some illusion spells to hide her slowly growing belly from her companions, in anticipation of that right time.

-Minsc: A berserker from the distant land of Rashemen, Minsc has been with Samarin since they first met in Nashkell almost two years ago and helped him defeat his half-brother's plans to plunge the Sword Coast, between Baldur's Gate and Amn, into war. Minsc is Samarin's closest friend and has been almost since they first met. He has proven his loyalty and devotion a hundred times over. He continues to fight at his friend's side with his beloved friend, pet and mentor, Boo.

-Keldorn Firecam: A senior paladin (inquisitor) in the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart. He is married and is the father of two beautiful little girls. He left Samarin's side almost halfway throughout their first quest together, to rejoin his family, but gladly rejoined his brother-in-arms to help him defeat Amellysan.

-Valygar Corthala: An honest and dark-humoured ranger from Amn, Valygar joined Samarin to help clear his family name. After doing so, he decided to throw in his lot with Samarin till the bitter end, and he has followed the cavalier to the Hells and back and has never showed any signs of wanting to leave.

-Jan Jansen: A very strange gnomish mage/thief. His family is renowned among gnomes throughout Faerun, and possibly even all of Toril, for their antics and complete obsession with turnips. Regardless of his questionable sanity, Jan has always proved to be unwaveringly loyal to Samarin and their other companions and shows no intentions of leaving their sides.

And onto the story...

Samarin stood tall as he stared into the dark distance, his friends wrapped in their bedrolls and lying about the fire. It had been five months since they had defeated the mad Amellysan and thwarted her plan to attain godhood. The sun had set only an hour ago and the moon had not yet risen. They were still a day’s journey from Athkatla, so he had insisted that they maintain a watch. No one had argued. In truth he did not expect any trouble that night. He had insisted on setting a watch to give himself a chance to think, to decide the company's next course of action. He knew that leading them back to the Order's headquarters would mean being sent, along with most of the rest of the Order's knights, as well as a large number of Amnish soldiers and conscripts, east to defend the country from the increasing incursions from the Sythsillian Empire. But what other course of action could he take? Both he and Keldorn had to return to the Order. Aerie had already expressed her desire to see her mentor and adoptive father, Quayle. Jan had his family to think of, and would definitely want to see them. And Minsc, he had nowhere to go but where Aerie and Samarin went. So that settled that. They would return Athkatla, and Torm only knows where they would go from there.

The morning came swiftly. Samarin had kept watch the whole night, and began rousing his companions as soon as the sun rose above the horizon. Keldorn was the first to rise.
    "Why did you not wake me during the night for my watch?" He asked somewhat groggily.
    Samarin turned to face Keldorn before answering, "Because I do not need the sleep, and I needed to consider our course of action for the coming days."
    Keldorn nodded in reply, and set about preparing for the day's journey. Athkatla was still a day away, and only the gods knew what they might meet on the road ahead.
    Samarin finished rousing the rest of his companions, and replied to each of their questions just as he had Keldorn's. Only Aerie seemed to give it a second thought, but she chose not to press him on it.
    The company ate quickly and then left shortly after dawn. They were using a wide, well-used road, so they were all able to walk abreast. The six friends walked in silence for a short while, until Jan began recounting another ridiculous story about his uncle's brother's cousin's wife who had bred a new and improved form of turnip, which attracted the attention of the local gardener’s guild and the law enforcement. His story went on, and on. Valygar slowly and discreetly began dropping back, muttering something about watching out for anyone following them. Amusingly enough, Minsc seemed to be listening to Jan's story with rapt attention, interrupting occasionally to clarify who this person was or what that word means. Keldorn simply took everything in stride, without even a frustrated sigh. Aerie was obviously also enjoying Jan's story, as well as the way in which Minsc was so wrapped up in it. Samarin didn't say a word that entire morning, instead listening to Jan's story with one ear and listening for possible signs of danger with the other. He kept his eyes on the horizon, scanning from side to side every few minutes. There was no way he would be caught off guard. His nerves were on edge. Something was making him nervous, but he couldn't say what. He dismissed the feeling as some distant echo of Bhaal's essence.

The day passed uneventfully, and by dusk the company had reached Athkatla's gate. They were admitted into the city without delay, and quickly made their way to the Temple District. They made their way to the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart where they were welcomed with as much fanfare as could be gathered at that hour. They were provided with appreciably comfortable accommodation, along with promises of an early wake-up call in the morning.
    At dawn's first light, a small group of acolytes and squires let themselves into the room shared by the entire company and roused everyone individually. Jan was the only one who protested, with threats of clobbering the first man to touch him with buckets of rotting turnips. The other five friends rose quickly and dismissed the squires and acolytes. These left, and the company dressed and prepared itself for the day ahead. As was usual when the six of them were forced to share a room, Aerie stood in a corner of the room and cast an illusion of a barrier to hide her from the sight of her companions.
    It did not take long for the six of them to dress and eat the small breakfast that the acolytes had left for them before they themselves left. After breaking their fast together, they planned their day. Aerie was going to visit her foster father, Quayle. Jan wanted to see his family, and maybe visit his ladylove. Valygar would go to his villa in the Docks District and pay his manservant a visit, and then set his affairs in order. Minsc decided he would pay a visit to the Adventurer's Mart, and maybe trade a few stories with the storekeep, Ribald Barterman. Samarin and Keldorn were to make their reports to the Order, and then receive further instructions.
    The company each went their separate ways, with promises of returning by dusk. It took the better part of the day for Keldorn and Samarin to deliver their reports and answer the many questions posed to them, and by the time they finished the sun had almost set. They waited expectantly for the order to join the Order's knights in the east. The commanding knights conversed quietly between themselves, then finally Sir Ryan Trawl, one of the senior knights responsible for assigning duties to most of the Order’s knights, looked up at the duo.
    "It would appear that the two of you, along with your companions, have performed an invaluable service, both to this Order and to all of Toril. We, the commanding knights of the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart, are willing to promote each of you to the rank of Knight Captain, the highest position in the Order below High Knight. With this position, each of you will have greater responsibilities, and thus greater privilege. For example, the Order has decided to permit the two of you to share command of any battalion of your choice. Moreover, the two of you will also have the privilege of choosing your lieutenants, of which the Order has no short supply. We are certain that once news of your exploits has spread, most, if not all, of the Knight Officers still in Athkatla will be most eager to volunteer to be your lieutenants.”
    Samarin and Keldorn took a few moments to mull over what Sir Ryan had said, and took a few minutes to have a whispered discussion about what next to do. After they finished whispering Samarin looked up at the High Knights, then spoke, “Sir Keldorn and I are most grateful for this great honour being bestowed upon us by the Order. We are also honoured by the privileges being extended to us along with the honour of our promotion. Be it known that we accept these honours and privileges,” at this, the High Knights rose from their seats and applauded the two adventurers, “however, we must ask a boon of the Council. We ask that we be allowed to bring our other companions with us to the war front. Our companions have accompanied us through the Hells and back, and there are no living beings we could trust more fully.”
    The Council of knights took a few moments to discuss this request amongst themselves. Then Sir Ryan spoke up; “Although it is very much against standard procedure, this Council understands that the bond of loyalty between the two of you and the rest of your companions cannot be broken. Therefore, the Council has deemed it acceptable for your companions to accompany you to the Sythsillian front. However, your companions may NOT be given any positions whatsoever in the Order; honourary or otherwise.”
    Samarin replied at once; “My lords, we thank you for your generosity and understanding in this regard. And now, we request your leave, that we may return to our rooms and meet with our companions to discuss this days events.”
    Sir Ryan nodded to them. “You have the Council’s leave to return to your rooms. Tomorrow however, you will begin selecting your lieutenants, beginning immediately after you break your fasts.”
    Samarin and Keldorn bowed deeply to their commanders, turned on their heels as one, and marched back to their room. When they returned, they noticed that all of their companions had returned, and that their dinner was waiting for them. The six of them dined together, while Aerie, Jan, Minsc and Valygar talked of what they had been doing all that day. After the dinner had been cleared, and the last of the acolytes had left, Keldorn related to all of them what he and Samarin had been busy doing. The news that they would be marching off to war was greeted with mixed emotions.
    Minsc for one, was more than eager to accompany his friends into the jaws of death once again, especially since doing so would mean killing many, many more monsters. Valygar didn’t seem to react at all; he simply sat on his bed and stared alternatively at Keldorn and Samarin. He eventually nodded his assent. Jan’s mood shifted between furious and excited, with disturbing frequency. He gradually calmed down, and then murmured his assent to follow them to war. Aerie was the only one of the six left. She had a worried look on her face. A single tear slid down her beautiful face as she sat on her overstuffed bed, thinking. It took almost a ten minutes of silent contemplation before Aerie finally broke the silence.
    “I...will...come with you, my love.”
    The entire company let out a collective breath at her agreement. Samarin then explained to them that the following day they would be choosing their lieutenants, and Samarin and Keldorn had every intention of letting their four other companions aid them in their decision-making. Everyone seemed content to hear this, and the six of them then retired to their beds. All of them fell into blissfully dreamless sleep. All of them except Aerie. For the entire night, her sleep was disturbed by the distant sounds of a weeping infant.

That's the first installment, I'll post the second soon (as soon as I get a few replies...assuming that I get any replies at all).

I feel that I should apologize beforehand; there won't be any action for a little while...but once the action starts, you won't be disappointed.

Any comments, criticisms, opinions, etc. are more than welcome, and are in fact greatly desired.

[ April 04, 2004, 23:44: Message edited by: Faerus Stoneslammer ]

2. Lady Luthien Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Aaaaah, a good Baldur's Gate story, finally!

Congrats, Faerus, this is exactly the kind of story I weave in my head while playing BG but never have time to write ;) .

As for the style: this is the kind of literature that makes you want to say " Bring me some ale! *rhhoo* " which is definetly appropriate here!

Aaaah, the stuff of legends :thumb: (bravo!).

Now I can't wait for more (and don't worry about the battle scenes, how many of us have skipped them in War and Peace ? :p )

3. Elusia Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

that was heaps good!
    can't wait for the next one :D

4. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] ARRR!

I finaly read a good BG story. Making it after ToB gives you more freedom of course. But condsidering your level of power... 6 people, each of them capable of singlehandedy slay an ancient red dragon, marching to war. The outcome should be well known. Besides they're well known heroes in Faerun. That's pretty much the only thing that i though was a bit strange. Couse they're really and totaly epic.

5. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31

Thank you all, your kind words are very greatly appreciated. :)

Now for the next segment. It's a little bit longer than the first one, and may seem even longer since it deals with several secondary character introductions, as well as more dialogue (which is still the toughest thing for me to write)

And here's part 2 (of many to come):

The next day dawned earlier than the six friends would have liked. But nevertheless, the six of them dressed and cleaned themselves by the time their meal was served. After which, they all left their room together and walked to the center of the audience hall. Here they were greeted by a curious Sir Ryan.
    “Good morning brother knights. May I ask why it is that you have chosen to bring your esteemed companions with you this morn?”
    “Of course my lord,” responded Samarin calmly, “so deep is our trust and faith in our friends that we would like them to assist us in choosing our lieutenants for this campaign.”
    Sir Ryan spent several minutes trying to dissuade the two knights, but neither Samarin nor Keldorn would yield. Sir Ryan eventually gave up and acquiesced. He then led the six companions to the raised dais usually reserved for the High Council, which was absent this day. And there were only two seats present on the dais this morning. Sir Ryan had some acolytes bring four extra chairs for the six companions, and bid them all be seated.
    “Now Sirs Samarin and Keldorn, and your esteemed companions, I introduce you to your lieutenant candidates.” Sir Ryan finished with a flourish, and two dozen knights in very polished and glistening armour were led into the audience chamber. Sir Ryan introduced them one-by-one, listing their names, heredity, exploits, and accolades. All of the members of the company, except Keldorn, perked up at the mention of one Sir Anomen. Sir Anomen’s family name and heredity were curiously left out of Sir Ryan’s introduction. Curiously, but not mysteriously. Sir Anomen had traveled with the adventurers for a brief period, temporarily replacing Keldorn who had left the company to join his family. Anomen had even been with Samarin when he faced off against Jon Irenicus to save Suldanesselar, as well as Samarin’s soul. Anomen’s family name had been omitted because not long after he had joined the companions, Anomen had faced a family crisis of sorts. In the end, his father disowned him, and he in turn disowned his father, leaving Anomen without a family name, but the manner in which he dealt with the situation had led to his being accepted into the Order of the Radiant Heart. There was a name that caught Keldorn’s attention however, though it did not strike a chord with any of his companions. This name was Andorn, brother of Ajantis. Ajantis had once been one of Keldorn’s brightest and most accomplished squires, and Keldorn had long regretted not having had the opportunity to mentor his younger brother, who was said to have been an even more promising squire than his brother. But Andorn had been assigned as squire to Sir Ryan Trawl himself, and it appears that that apprenticeship left him in high regard with the rest of the Order. Unfortunately, Ajantis had been killed in the Windspear Hills, the victim of a heartless deception.
    After being introduced, each candidate stood before the six companions and took a few minutes to explain why he or she would be best suited to serving under the command of Samarin and Keldorn. After these brief speeches, the knights were lined up into two separate rows before the dais, facing it. Samarin, Keldorn and their companions began questioning each of the knights in turn. Sir Ryan at first seemed miffed to see Aerie, Valygar, Minsc, and Jan questioning the knights, but since neither Keldorn nor Samarin seemed the least bit annoyed by this, he kept his peace. Samarin was in fact relieved that his companions joined him and Keldorn in questioning the knights. The only time that the two paladins interrupted one of their companions, was when Jan began telling a story about his great, great granduncle who had been a paladin and a general in an obscure order of paladins in the Dalelands.
    After several grueling hours of questioning, the six companions retreated to their room, where they could discuss the candidates in private. Sir Ryan reminded the six adventurers that they were to choose only eight of the twenty-four candidates to come with them, but he stayed with the officers, and helped clarify many of the rumours that they had heard concerning these six adventurers.
    The first of the six to speak, was Keldorn. He insisted that they take Sir Andorn with them. Andorn had indeed appeared to be the most promising candidate, and none of the companions argued. The second lieutenant chosen was Sir Anomen. Neither Jan nor Valygar seemed very pleased with this decision, but Samarin was adamant that he be repaid for his prior service to them. The companions spent several hours debating, but eventually decided on their six other lieutenants. After Andorn and Anomen, they had chosen a half-elf knight by the name of Thurisar. He was an experienced knight, having commanded patrols throughout northwestern Amn for decades. Next was a slim human woman named Ilerel, who had been the sole survivor of one of the first skirmishes with the Sythsillian forces. Fifth was a huge, burly paladin who towered over Keldorn and Minsc, and went by the name of Sir Ordel Rulzel. This man was renowned in the Order for his zeal in combat and his complete lack of fear, as well as for being in less than complete control of his faculties. For their sixth choice, the company decided on an elf woman, Alisel Southsun. Alisel had made a name for herself as a skilled tactician, whose only drawback was that she was very prone to letting her enemies flee after they began a retreat. She refused to let any under her command pursue her fleeing enemies, regardless of the consequences her restraint could cause in the future. The company’s seventh pick, was another paladin, though this one was much smaller, barely coming to Samarin’s shoulder, and he was much darker. He went by the name of Hademmir Ibn Rashid, and he hailed from Calimshan. He had been orphaned as an infant and taken north by slavers and then rescued by the Order, which he then decided to join. Regardless of his size and past, which were the primary reasons he had yet to reach a serious command in the overly political Order, Hademmir was a devoutly loyal, courageous and skilled knight. He was known to have bested Sir Ryan Trawl in honourable combat, as well as single-handedly slaying a trio of fire giants. He was also a distinguished leader, having once led a small patrol in a charge against a much larger force of goblins, which he and his knights promptly slaughtered. Lastly, the companions decided on a pale-skinned northerner named Hadnir. Hadnir had not been presented with any other names and his list of exploits and accolades was not very long. He had however, once been a squire to Keldorn, and Keldorn recommended him highly, both for his loyalty and dependability to do what was right.
    The six companions finally left their room, and as they walked up to the raised dais, they could feel the expectant eyes of all of the officers in the large room, as well as those of Sir Ryan Trawl. Once they had all been seated, Samarin rose and stepped forth.
    “The six of us would like to thank all of the assembled knights here today, for their time, their patience, their candor, and their honesty. We have come to a decision, and as much as it would please us to have all of you join us on the Sythsillian front,” he paused at the knights’ applause, and continued, “but we have been permitted to select only eight of you. The criteria for our decision need not be mentioned because there were many, and they were complicated. Now, without further ado, would the following knights please step forward: Sir Andorn, Sir Anomen, Sir Thurisar, Dame Ilerel, Sir Ordel, Dame Alisel, Sir Hademmir, and finally, Sir Hadnir.” Each of the knights stepped forward to the dais, and kneeled to the companions. Sir Ryan took that as his cue to thank the rest of the knights, and then dismiss them from the audience chamber.
    Samarin bade the eight lieutenants to rise, and clasped each of their forearms in turn, followed by Keldorn and the rest of his companions. After this short ritual, Sir Ryan dismissed the lieutenants with orders to return on the morrow at noon, at which time they would be assigned their specific positions. He then asked the six companions to return to the audience hall at noon of the next day, and informed them that they would be leaving at dawn the day after. The six returned to their room anxiously; knowing that this was to be their second last night in the city for quite some time disturbed them more than a little.

At noon the next day, the six companions were again seated on the dais in the audience hall. The audience went much quicker this time around however, since Keldorn and Samarin had risen early and had spent the entire morning discussing which lieutenants would fill which positions. The choice was not that difficult; five of the lieutenants would be in command of their own companies, which made up the battalion commanded by Keldorn and Samarin. Two lieutenants would act as senior advisors to the two paladins, and the last lieutenant would be in charge of the battalion’s logistics. For the five company leaders, Samarin and Keldorn had chosen Sirs Anomen, Thurisar, Ordel and Hademmir and Dame Ilerel. For their two senior advisors, they had agreed on Andorn and Alisel and finally, they had decided that Hadnir would take care of logistics. Samarin announced these decisions to the gathered lieutenants and Sir Ryan, who subsequently rushed the lieutenants, Samarin and Keldorn away to brief them all on their respective responsibilities.
    Keldorn and Samarin returned to their room just after dusk. When they walked into the room, they interrupted an intense argument. Aerie was being scolded and lectured by Jan and Valygar about being honest and revealing to everyone what it was that she was hiding. She meanwhile, was busily yelling at them to be quiet, while Minsc sat on his bed, utterly dumbfounded.
    “What in Torm’s name is going on in here?” Samarin demanded as he strolled into the room, Keldorn in tow.
    Aerie stammered “I-uh-I-I-uh,” she sighed and tried again, “Nothing.”
    “Nothing?!” Both Valygar and Jan bellowed simultaneously.
    “Nothing!” She retorted. She then walked over and sat beside Minsc. He didn’t even acknowledge the presence of his witch, staring absently at the floor.
    Jan gave Aerie a hard look before turning to glare at Samarin, “The four of us were in here chit-chatting about the past, when I began feeling like we were being watched. Minsc had the same feeling,” at this, Minsc could only nod silently and Jan continued, “so I cast a spell to let me see all magical effects in the room, and looked around. When I saw Aerie, I stopped. I think she must’ve realized what it was that I saw, because she immediately turned away and cast a counter spell. But I had seen enough and I told Valygar and Minsc what I saw!”
    “What?” Samarin asked Jan, looking at Aerie the whole time, “What is it that you saw Jan?”
    “I think it would be best if she told you.” Came the curt reply.
    “Aerie? What’s going on? What is Jan talking about, and why does Minsc look like he ate a rodent?”
    Aerie whispered something under her breath, it sounded like an arcane word, one used for triggering a spell. Or canceling one. She stood up then, and just in case no one had seen the slight bulge in her belly that hadn’t been there just moments ago, she opened her robe enough to make it clear beyond question. She was pregnant, and had obviously been for some time. Samarin’s legs gave out beneath him and he crumpled to the floor like a paper doll, and Keldorn gaped, his mouth had opened enough to fit a complete suit of armour.
    “H-h-h-h-how? W-w-w-when?” Was all that Samarin managed to stammer before all sensible words stopped coming out of his mouth.
    “Well, you see Samarin,” Jan began didactically, “when a man and a woman love each other, they perform this physical act...” And was rudely interrupted by a cuff on the back of his head from Valygar.
    “Valygar! I was simply trying to explain to Samarin how Aerie got pregnant.” Was Jan’s innocent defense. Another cuff from Valygar.
    “Stop! What am I doing to deserve this mistrea...”
    “ENOUGH! Everyone, except Aerie, OUT!!” This from the still seated Samarin.
    Valygar smartly picked Jan up by his loose robes and carried him out, while Keldorn helped Minsc stand, and then guided him out of the room.
    Samarin sat on the floor, staring at Aerie, completely flabbergasted.
    “Samarin? Can you hear me, my love?”
    “Y-y-yes Aerie. I-I can hear you. I don’t know what to say.”
    “Well, you could say that you’re happy for us! You could say that this is the most exciting night of your life! You could say that you love me!” She did not seem pleased by his stunned reaction.
    “Of course Aerie, those things go without saying. I love you. Bu-but, when?”
    “That second time, love. Two days before we fought that terrible battle with Amellysan.”
    She didn’t think it was possible, but Samarin’s face looked even more shocked. “You fought Amellysan, while you were PREGNANT!?”
    It took all of her strength to fight back tears, but she managed. “Yes! And I will fight as many battles as necessary to stay at your side my love. As many battles as necessary.”
    Suddenly, it was Samarin who was fighting back tears. He loved Aerie too much to insult her by trying to tell her to stay away from danger, danger that he himself would be running headlong into. He couldn’t help feeling a very real fear however, a greater fear for her life and for that of their unborn child.
    “Five months have passed Aerie. Five. Four more until the child comes. We are leaving for war tomorrow, my love, tomorrow. You know as well as I do, that I will not be able to protect you in battle, you know this. Aerie, tell me that you know what you are doing.”
    “Yes my love, I know what I’m doing. To you, to myself and most importantly, to our child. I know my love. And I can’t not do it. I can’t not go with you. I can’t.” At this, she began to cry softly, quietly.
    “Of course not Aerie, I would never ask that of you.” Samarin rose and slowly made his way to his beloved wife, and wrapped her in his arms, “We are going to war together. And the others will be with us. We will come out of this alive. Our child, will come out of this alive.”
    She wept a little while longer, and the two of them slowly drifted off to sleep, both sitting on her bed, in each other’s arms. Their companions waited until no more sounds came from the room before they cracked the door open and crept into their own beds to sleep the rest of the night away.

Again, any comments, criticisms etc. would be greatly appreciated, especially concerning the dialogues.

EDIT: @Jag- I decided to mix things up a little by adding some elven-blood to the Order's ranks. I've always disagreed with the rule disallowing non-humans from becoming paladins. (Although, the half-elf and elf listed are *knights* rather than paladins, and knights could just as well be fighters).

[ April 09, 2004, 20:39: Message edited by: Faerus Stoneslammer ]

6. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I thought that only humans could become paladins. Hmmm.

Great story though. I am enjoying it, though I wonder why everybody has an ominious feeling. Duh duh DUHH!

7. Elusia Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] good job! i love it!

keep up the great work :D

[ April 14, 2004, 05:23: Message edited by: Elusia ]

8. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Damnit Faerus, don't leave us hanging. Finish the bloody story.

9. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Hehe i agree with Jag, get the story finished its brilliant.

Good thing about a BG story is that you dont have to spend time explaining your world to people.

10. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

This is great, it really feels like Baldur's Gate.

11. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Who is it that they are going to war against? Please say an army commanded by Viconia, it would be an onslaught. :evil:

12. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] Thanks for the nice comments and encouragement folks....but there's a bit of a snag with the story.

See, I have something like 10 more pages written...but the problem is; they're on another computer :( . I'm sorry, but that means unless I find a way to get into that computer and pull the rest of the story out...this thread's gonna lie dormant until September :cry: .

Hopefully it won't come to that; since I have to get some other stuff off of that computer (and in doing so, I hope to get the story). So, fingers crossed for that!

Now, I'm sure some of you are wondering: "Why don't you just start writing now, from where you left off?!" The truth is; I can't. I just can't. For some reason or other, I can only ever bring myself to write, when I'm in some sort of highly emotional state. Unfortunately, these don't come very often (much less so when I'm at home)...so unless something crazy happens in my mind; the next segment will just have to wait a while.

Again, I'm sorry all...I wish there was something more I could do :( .

13. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Its OK Faerus, im sure everyone here can wait, i mean, your storys is that good its worth waiting for.

14. Rilfaine Nightbreeze Gems: 1/31

Dude, your writing kicks more a$$ than beating Sarevok with a solo bard!!!

Well, I might be exaggerating...

But seriously, write more.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.