1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The great Lerrahud challenge

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by zaknafein, Oct 16, 2001.

1. zaknafein Guest

i will attempt (note the word attempt) the great challenge set by KJ. but just wondering for this challenge can you have a kit or is it just a straight fighter. is there a certain race that i should be too? hmm this could definatelly be interesting:)

2. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Well, theroretically, the toughest challenge is to play a straight Human fighter with 966666 stats using no kits, allowing no magical items/spells, and not using cheese tactics. Magic is not something available to a Human and preistly spells are in the realm of religious miracles. Bardsong is beyond my limited human comprehension as to how it would work in the real world, and bards are not a base class anyway.

Remember, each race has some sort of advantage over humans - even if it's just having infravision.
    Each kit has some sort of advantage over a straight kit - whatever the base class. For instance, each thief kit has different strengths than a straight thief though at the expense of other attributes.
    So, if you play something other than a base kit or a human, I think that the game would ultimately be easier somehow, though not necessarily "easy."

The above challenge parameters preclude using any "advantage" that a normal human would not have and also prevent taking advantage of poor programming, mistakes in game design implementation, and/or keeping the game somewhat "real."

But, that's just my interpretation and opinion. Yours may differ.

So, choose your poison.

3. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] 9/6/6/6/6/6, AND fighter, AND no magic items?! We said difficult, not impossible. The current 9/6/6/6/6/6 challenge does not prohibit magical items.

4. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

Well, the "Look Mom. I Sold All My Magic Stuff! (SoA)" thread is an exploration in trying to get through without using magic items... The 966666 challenge would be tougher if that "no magic item use" provision were also enforced... If you reread my post, I described what I believed the "toughest challenge" would be.... The 966666 challenge can be interpted differenct ways - just look at some of the differeing opinions on whether or not one of these characters should be allowed to use ability enhancing equipment period....

So, my post was pretty much a summary/introduction to the concept based on my own view and experience... That's all.

[This message has been edited by Kailynne Johanne (edited October 16, 2001).]

5. zaknafein Guest

i sure as hell am useing majical stuff. ill start in a couple of days i guess. i think ill end up as a human. kit and name still to be determined. evil assasain game is officially on hold

6. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Theoretically, playing a fighter with these stats is not the toughest option. When you play a Cleric or Bard with such stats, you would gain no spells or almost no thief abilities for your Wisdom or Dexterity is too low.

7. zaknafein Guest

the new challengers name is officially sapro
    which i believe is latin for rotten. very appropriet. his pathetic story will appear soon

8. cirrostratus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I really don`t see any point in playing as an idiot nobody with 9\6\6\6\6\6. Harry Potter has higher stats than that.

Try a higher difficulty setting instead.

9. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The point's just to see if it can be done, cirrostratus. Some people like cheating; other people like challenges. Simple as that. (-: Most of us have already beaten the game on the highest difficulty level, and are looking for something new to do.

10. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

HEadbanger wrote:
    <<Theoretically, playing a fighter with these stats is not the toughest option. When you play a Cleric or Bard with such stats, you would gain no spells or almost no thief abilities for your Wisdom or Dexterity is too low.>>

Possibly.. except for one thing... a cleric cannot legitemately be made with those stats...

Having just tried to roll the following classes up, these are the required minimums implemented for certain classes in the game...
    Cleric requires a min Wis of 9
    Druid has required minimums of 12 Wis and 15 Cha
    Thief has required minimum of 9 Dex
    and
    Bard has required minmums of 12 Dex, 13 Int and 15 Cha...

Fighter's required minimum is 9 in Str...So, technically, headbanger, the challenge needs to be adjusted for each class to reflect appropriate minimums. And the 6's allowed the fighter could be 3's according to what the program allows...

Now, given the above minimums, spell learning abilities for casters is disadvantaged, but gaining spells is possible. So is gaining skill as a thief... though, again, at a disadvantage.

Just being clear here about game-imposed requirements.

11. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

About magical items...

I wonder if the no magical items restriction applies to magical weapons too?

Even Tor'Gaal (troll leader, fighter stronghold) requires +1 or better weapons to hit, not to mention Bodhi who can only be hit by +3 weapons or better.

I think that the 9/6/6/6/6/6 fighter should indeed use at least one +3 weapon(I recommend a +3 short sword and Tansheron's short bow +3.

12. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

Just pulled out the game manual and identified the following ability related effects pertinent to the 966666 challenge.

STR - 9 (0) ------ Hit Adj ---- 6 (-1)
    ---------0 --------Dam Adj -------- 0
    -------- 50 -------Wt Allow ------ 30
    -------- 50% ------Bashing ------- 30%
    DEX - 6 (0) --- Miss Att Adj --- 9 (0)
    ---------0 --------AC Adj -------- +1
    CON - 9 (0)----- HP Adj --------- 6(-1)
    INT - 9 (4) -- Max Spell Level -- 6(4)
    ---- 35 ----Max % to Learn Spell--- 35
    ----- 6 --- Max Spells per Level --- 6
    --- -20 - -------Lore Bonus------- -10
    Wis - 9 (0)-- Magic Def Adj ---- 6 (-1)
    ----- 0 --------Bonus Spells ------ -1
    ---- 20 ----- % Spell Failure ----- 35
    CHA - 6 Reaction Adjustment --- -2

Combining these with the minimumx of an earlier post, you can see that a weakling human FIGHTER should be able to hit and damage opponents normally. However, he will not be able to read or use scrolls above 4th level and would have a 35% failure rate.

You would need to interpret the above information slightly differently for other classes...

If Lerrahud's experience is representative, howver, there seems to be a luck effect that somehow comes into play. The combination of all these lows stats seems to allow him to get hit and damaged a lot more than others despite wearing decent armor. Exactly why that is, I am not sure. Whether or not others feel similarly would be interesting to hear.

13. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hmm, I dunno why you would want to be reloading all the time. To me that spoils all the fun, but if you guys like it be my guest...

14. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

Obviously this challenge does not appealto everyone.. Then again, netiher does steak.

15. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hey! I'm finally a goblin!
    Anything is better than a watcher

[Mr. Goblin, you will be reduced back to a Watcher if we see more posts like this one - BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited October 19, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.