1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A short story (influenced slightly by Jhonen Vasquez's JTHM)

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Erebus, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Comments are good. I like comments.

David watched the man. He watched as he shivered slightly, but that was understandable. He took a step forward towards the man. He sucked in some air, and exhaled.

“Why are people so…unpleasant?” David asked. The man flinched but composed himself immediately.

“I don’t know.”

“Actually it is very hard to discuss such things without knowing the answers to the most fundamental questions. Such as, how can we learn to respect the existence of things, namely humans, when they seem to defy respect itself? They do such trivial things, and yet find humor in those childish cruelties, even into ‘maturity’.”

“Well, that is a very general statement. Not all people are as you describe them to be.”

“Hmm…you may be correct, yet take in mind, that I may be…unstable. And you know the saying where a mad man does not recognize his insanity? I recognize my own craziness. So am I really insane? Actually, its all very interesting”

“Yes, very so.” David looked up and smiled slightly. Nodding he took a step forward. And stopped with a look on his face.

“You know, you do not act like I would expect one to in such a situation to act. Death usually has such a more profound impact on someone. Where is the fear?” He watched this, playing a smile on his face. The man shivered. Not of the coming of his death. But of the carelessness, the ease of which his executioner would do it. David’s smile widened.

“Well, truth be told, I do not wish to die, yet I have no say in the matter. But I am not like you, I am not clouded. I have no family, no friends, no commitments really. I have nothing to fear for. I have no fear.”

“I envy your conviction.” The smile now was wiped from his face. He continued to watch the man.

“Why do you do this?”

“Why? Have you not been paying attention? I hate the others as I hate sin itself. Yet I do not truly kill the person.” He turned around, away from the man.

“Then why--”

“Please don’t interrupt me. As I said before, I do not kill the person. They cause their own deaths. You see, the so-called ‘victim’, at some part played in the role of creating their killer. I believe that their life was wasted for the fact that it was wasted on their cruel childish tendencies.”

“So you do this out of spite?”

“No, of course not, I do it for so much more.”

“You mean…like in the newspaper, that woman, you--” David spun around. Rocking on his heels. His eyes blazed with anger.

“No! I would never! Flesh does not motivate me. No, mine is the penetration beyond the veil of flesh.”

“The Fly?”

“Yes. The Fly. Why not?” He mused. Walking around in small circles. “How lovely it would be if I were escape from these emotions, to rid myself of its itch. To become an insect-governed by the necessity of survival. Without malice, without contempt. You see, I don’t want anything to touch me, nor do I want to touch anything, because, I frankly do not care about any one like that. And to touch them disgusts me, it reminds me of the emptiness, and venom. I hurts, and saddens me to do such things to people.” He said calmly. He faced the man, and smiled. He walked over to the man. “Thank you for such an interesting…talk. But, regardless, I must bid you farewell.”

David raised his hand, a dull metal flashed in his fist. The man’s heart started pounding, as if screaming for mercy. Yet in his mind, he was calm. He closed his eyes, forgetting the chafing of the ropes against his skin, about his imminent death. He was at peace. He feared nothing.

Nothing to fear at all.

2. Kasandra Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I quite liked this little tale. Well told.

3. Erebus Gems: 16/31

Thanks for you response. Seems like I don't get any here.

4. Human Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm still a novice at this so if I'm talking allot of crap, tell me. Anyway these are my impressions.

I liked your story although I didn't get the point. The main character's obsession with justifying himself drags on a little almost as if he is looking for approval or something that will make what he is doing morally acceptable towards himself. David says that he does not want anything to touch him or that he does not want to touch anything yet in initiating a conversation with this particular old man he contradicts his character. David's character comes across as a loner who is unnoticed and just another aspect of the crowd, totally invisible until he decides to make himself visible (like a chameleon).

So I ask, "what does he want or more importantly what is he looking for?

P.S. The ending (last paragraph) distinctly reminds of the ending in George Orwell's 1984 when Winston dies.

5. Erebus Gems: 16/31

You got it. David is just a loner who hates other people, and acts as the 'flusher' of mankind.

6. Darhken Rahl Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

nice story..NNY rules ;)

7. Erebus Gems: 16/31

Yes yes he does.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.