1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A cheery poem

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Shaidar Haran, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Shaidar Haran Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I posted this poem somewhere else on SP, but I would really like some feedback on it since it's my first poem. Besides, whether it's good or not it would be nice to read some cheery poems here every once in a while. Anyway, please give me some comments on this.

Joy

You are here!
    Unexpected, unannounced
    Yet you are here
    My friend, my confidant
    You are my laughter,
    my happiness

I dare not blink
    For fear that you will disappear
    A conjured apparition,
    melting away before my eyes
    Like the morning fog before the sun
    But blink I must,
    and you remain

A radiant smile lights my face,
    as I leap up to embrace you
    We talk excitedly,
    laughing uncontrollably
    And I am content
    For you are here
    My friend, my soul
    My joy

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  2. Xaelifer Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Excellent poem - creative use, and I wonder where, oh where did you conjure this apparition from?

As per my advice, I would say simply change a few phrases. You see, poetry is a substance that has no name, no molecular structure, no solved purpose - which is exactly what makes it interesting. The conveyance of normal prose, like my writing upon this word, is simply chalk-white cliche based upon majority communication. Poetry, however, is based upon singular emotion - two words that can smoothly perform to make something that doesn't NEED a pliable, set substance like an essay or warning label. To this end, reduce majority communications, i.e., cliches. I hate cliches. I seek to purge them in every poem I write because it singularifies them from all the others.

This poem I find to be very interesting, although not "cheery" - that is a... stereotypical word. It is more calming and pleasureful; this poem is not cheeriness and 'positive attitude', but is bliss and true happiness for the company of something loved.

My literate advice, though, is simply one word. Expand. Write a few more stanzas about how you "must blink" - but don't stray from the emotion you've already given, the constant, everything-is-swell. Constant emotion gives a poem more flavor.

Perform some expansions of limiting words, like in the second stanza,

"But blink I must
    and you remain"

...'and' could be changed to 'yet'. Yet I remain. Simple little context clearers like that would really help this poem, plus more length. And purge the cliches.

Read Edgar Allen Poe's happier poetry for good examples on "cheery" literate emotion.

And that's my advice.

3. Shaidar Haran Gems: 1/31

Xaelifer, thank you for the advice. I am working on expanding the poem a little, but I have nothing substantial yet. As far as the cliches, to what exactly are you referring? The "fog before the morning sun", or is it something else? In any case, here are another few poems and I would again appreciate any feedback.

Nothingness

We are nothing
    or so you say
    In the vastness of space
    amongst countless stars
    What are we?

We are less than dust
    we are nothing
    What does one life matter
    in the grand scheme of the universe?
    Nothing
    or so you say

Yet I ask you
    to take our child
    and hold him in your arms
    Look into his face
    open your eyes
    And tell me
    what do you see?

Do you see nothing?
    I'll tell you what I see
    I see life
    joy and laughter
    I do not see nothing

Leave the stars
    to their cold magnificence
    It is hard to believe
    we are insignificant
    When I am holding
    the universe in my arms

Morning

Fingers sliding
    over pale ivory
    and gleaming ebony

She plays
    and her soul is set free
    as she greets the morning
    with song

4. Xaelifer Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

By cliches I mean the usual two-word phrases you hear repeated again and again in English oral conversation. Well...for a quick example... in the first stanza, you say

"Like the morning fog before the sun"
    (common simile usage)

Perhaps some words could be metamorphed to make it more fun to read (this is part of the reason Shakespeare is so popular to English literaticians - he did not write expectedly). Perhaps make it something like

"A dispelled fog against the sun" (look in a thesaurus for better "dispelled" words - a poor example).

--

I love your next poem Morning, but Nothingness, I'm afraid, jumps around too much.

In Nothingness, I can't tell who's saying what. The first stanza is confusing in the sense that it has the same performance as those after it, and as the conclusion. It's almost as if you took part of a bigger version and stuck a middle part there. You need to introduce the fact of the poem, by taking out the very first "or" and make clearer the fact that YOU are asking "What are we?" by adding a but. But what are we? (Good question, by the way).

The conclusion is excellent, although replacing "the universe" in the last line with a mocking "nothing" would make it interesting:

"When I am holding
    nothing in my arms"

as if to say "How can you REALLY believe this is nothing?" This might confuse readers, though, so you'll have to decide. Just an idea.

Morning is excellent - don't change a thing except for adding few punctuation marks (only, however, if you feel that this is necessary). You sound kind of like E.E. Cummings. You're an excellent poet - you make your work better than most because you aren't simply writing in order to create poetry - your emotion backs you to let itself flow onto paper.

Huge advice: write about things you feel most powerfully about. This is the only way any author achieves his standard of success.

5. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

"Morning" is indeed very well done. I skipped it at first, but when I read Xaelifer's comments I went back to look at it. Very nice.

The first one, however, needs some work. (I didn't read "Nothingness" for lack of time.)

What's the difference between your two poems? Lack of subtlety. In the first couple of lines of "Morning" I don't even know what you're talking about. Just images. In the first poem ("Joyfulness"?), you beat your readers over the head with the point. Don't force them into a feeling. Evoke it.

Another difference is that "Joyfulness" is ordinary. You use the same words the many would use for a feeling that everyone is familiar with. While it's good to keep on common, human themes (instead of, say, the joy of casting "Mislead" with your mage-thief before backstabbing, which not many in the world would identify with), you have to say something unusual and/or in an unusual way. Otherwise, why would anyone bother reading your work?

Get funky with your bad self. You can write. Try out different forms. Make them rhyme sometimes. Pay attention to rhythm and meter sometimes (Darien is the master of this; read her stuff in Satiana's poetry thread). And don't worry about punctuation (I wouldn't punctuate "Morning" at all) as long as the meaning remains clear.

6. Shaidar Haran Gems: 1/31

Xaelifer, Shralp, thanks again for the input. I will eventually get around to revising my other poems, but I don't have much time right now and it's easier for me to just write something new. This one has a bit of a darker tone than the other poems, and I also tried to make it a little more subtle as to what is going on...but I don't really know if I succeeded there. Once again, any comments would be welcome, and anyone else who wants to post poetry under this topic should go for it!

Mother's Lament

The call comes in
    Disbelief and shock war for supremacy
    Only to be overtaken by crushing, bitter sorrow
    A soundless scream echoes in my head
    Leaving in its wake a jagged abyss of pain

I stare helplessly at my empty, clasping hands
    Searching for answers that I know I will not find
    I who have protected him for so long
    Cannot save him from this
    My nurturing, shielding wing
    Is forever broken

So, with tears streaming down my face,
    I fall to my knees and pray
    For that is all that I have left to do
    I rise hesitantly
    And reach out with shaking arms
    I gather my family close
    And we cling together helplessly
    Trying to stay afloat in a world now so devoid of life

I close my eyes, and the past comes alive again
    Fiercely defying reality
    I see his face shining once more
    I reach out…but my hands stroke nothing but memories
    My son, they may have taken your body,
    But you will live forever in my heart
    Be at peace

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.