1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What to write about?

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Black Rose, Nov 10, 2001.

1. Black Rose Guest

My creative mind is wracked.. could you guys post up some good story hooks or character ideas? I want to write a good fantasy story, but I'm stuck on starting the thing.

2. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

IF you have TDD, do a Solo Halfling Ninja. They rock!

IF not, do a Non-elven Archer who uses Shortbows

3. Linael Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

What about the personal dilemma of an neutral human captain, in charge of a unit of orcs, who scour the countryside for a personal enemy, one who wronged him decades ago. The dilemma being that his unit is murdering and burning a swathe across the land... Is his revenge worth this carnage and can/should he stop it?

Linael of the Mists

4. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

How about a tale about a wicked gnome trying to overthrow the current gnomish government, and rule the so-far idyllic society with iron hands... :grin:

[This message has been edited by Namuras (edited November 11, 2001).]

5. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Check out the last post for my story topic.
    Perhaps you would want to write about the youthful days of a certain elderly half-elf swordsman...

6. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Well, try the stat-minimum challenge for some class - ala Duharrel, Sapro or others...

Play a sorceror or mage who resents the movement of the Red Wizards and his goal in life, now, is to eliminate all of them from the face of Faerun.

Play the ultimate Faerinian anti-Christ - one Evil SOB who is out to destroy the Plane of Existnece - not just Faerun, but it's a start... Kill everything including the rats... Adjust rules for reputation maintenance as you wish in order to be able to buy and sell things....or not.

Try to play through the game with only those things that you can find or take off dead bodies... Gold is useless to you except for renting rooms or buying some brews. This could be played with any number of characters and with any alignment.

Play a band of Minsc-related berserkers who have found out that Jon Irenicus personally raped Dynaheir before personally killing her. You, Minsc's long-lost borther have come to avenge her death...Or, you could be Dynaheir's relative with the same background and any class.

Just a few things off the top of my head.

7. zaknafein Guest

try this the weeping friars from sojurn. take no money let yourself get your arse kicked as much as possible and dont sleep so that you get a hell of a lot of fatigue.

i had another idea but ive forgotten it now

8. Are trying to write something based on BG2 or just a fantasy story from your own imaginings? If you're basing on BG2, I say you go with Kailynne Johanne's idea. If you're writing a completely new fantasy story, I'd say you should include a little bit of comedy here and there, just to keep people reading it. But if your story is full of suspense, intrigue, etc, ignore my last sentence. Hope it works out for you, GOOD LUCK!

9. Black Rose Guest

A reminder - Story ideas, not Game ideas.

I like your idea, Linael. I may alter it a bit.

10. Linael Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

That's not my idea, it actually happened to my grandad. ;)

Neutrality is a painful burden to carry, more so than a Paladin's LG alignment. We all know what the right thing is, it takes some grit to ignore that and hold our own interests above the suffering of others.

Linael of the mists

11. ROOOOOOOMANCE

(i love romance, especially BG2 romance)

12. Alienboy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

If you write a story please do it in the anual write off? People write stories there please.

13. In The Year of The Gauntlet, a pathetic kobold, exiled from his clan, stumbled upon an abandoned mage tower. In a desperate attempt to end his life, he swallowed a translucent green potion... but something was wrong. His muscles swelled, his brain grew as fast and as sharp as a speeding magic missile, and his arms and limbs suddenly felt like tightly wound springs. Now with 25 in every stat except charisma, he is...

SUPER KOBOLD!!!!

Wrighter of wrongs and maker of mistakes! This weeks episode - The story of the revenge of the hamster of doom of Marsember.

14. zaknafein Guest

that last one sounds scary

15. Ramses Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Write a short story about a bard whose...

Where is he? Which environment?
    How does he get it back? Force? luck? love? betray?
    Who helps him? Monsters, princess, commoners?

If you like the short story add on to it. Consider it the skeleton of your work.

Edited to note that the Auther may not seek advice any longer. Look at the dates.

[This message has been edited by Ramses (edited January 13, 2002).]

16. Tantalus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Write about a bard recounting a story of a land far away, in dire need of adventurers to relieve them from an army of kobolds led by a huge kobold cheiftan.He could take volunteers on an adventure to slay the kobold and scatter the armies. Think of what types of people would help him/her.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.