1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is the best stuff for an archer?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Crono De'Vir, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Crono De'Vir Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

what is the best....

[ October 24, 2002, 11:41: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Well, the obvious answer is an bow and arrows, or a crossbow and bolts, and a melee weapon in emergencies. But I suppose you want a more specific answer.

The Heartseeker +3 Composite Bow is a good long bow; Gesen's Bow and Tansheron's Bow are both good short bows. As for arrows, +1 arrows are abundant, +2 arrows should be readily available in the later parts of the game, and there are arrows that deal elemental damage (acid, fire, cold, etc.).

As for Crossbows, there are plenty of good crossbows in Ribald's, although you may have to wait 'til Chapter 6 to obtain them. Not to mention they cost a bundle. There are excellent bolts out there; bolts of electricity (4d4 extra lightning damage) and bolts of biting (poison).

And a good melee weapon just in case. ;)

As for armor, Shadow Dragon armor is good, as the the Night's Gift +5 (good for stealth), and Aeger's Hide is a decent armor as well. Those three (take your pick) will serve you well.

3. Sylvan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Gesens bow was always my first choice - you don't have to worry about running out of arrows. It can take a while to get though, since it is a unique item.
    Imoen used it with great effect, she hardly ever seemed to miss.

There are more shortbows than longbows in BG2, and they all seem better IMO

4. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I always have a tough choice between crossbows and long bows. (I tend to reserve short bows for thieves just by habit.)

Any significant differences between crossbows and long bows? (other than ammunition types or the lack of an unlimited ammo crossbow)

Bracers of Archery would also fit nicely.

5. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    @Blog:

I think, but I'm not sure, Crossbows does more damage but takes longer to reload.

6. Camlan Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

With any kind of bow -short, long or composite- you get two attacks per round. With a crossbow you only get one attack per round (unless magically modified). I don't know if this applies to BG2 but in PnP rules with a heavy corssbow you can even get less than one attack per round!

On best bows, Mana bow is also a good choice, though it's found a little late in the game.

7. Crono De'Vir Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] thank you i will certanly try all these and see which is best

8. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I like to put on the girdle of ogre strength (thats the one that gives you 19 I think, or its the hill giant one) and use the strongarm

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Gauntlets of Ogre Strength - 18/00 STR (not enough to use Strongarm Bow)

Girdle of Hill Giant Strength - 19 STR (enough to use said bow)

10. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

The Tuigan short bow actually gives you three attacks per round instead of two.

Mana bow is found in D'Arnise Keep. That's one of the first quests. I agree with you that it's pretty good though.

11. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Elven Court Bow - only Magical Long Bow in the de'Arnise Keep, I believe. It is located in the Golem Room. Watch out - the Iron Golem and a (something) Golem will attack you should you take the Bow.

The Elven Court Bow is a +3 Long Bow.

The Mana Bow is located in the same area where the entrance to Suldanesllar (sp?). It is a +4 Long Bow and grants 20% Magic Resistance.

12. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The best is the strong arm bow with piercing arrows

13. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Piercing arrows? I always thought biting was the best just because it sells for the most. Not sure though...

Wow.. never knew you can get less than one attack per round. I guess those heavy crossbows are a real burden.

14. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

15. psychopunk Gems: 1/31

Heavy crossbow base number of attacks per round in bg2 is 1 not 1/2.

16. chimpmaster Gems: 1/31

The great thing about the elven court bow is that you can find it so early in the game (d'arnise keep). It will be quite some time before you find a better bow than this...

17. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bracers of Archery
    Boots of speed (Run and hit)
    Heartseeker
    Girdle of hill giant strength

Maybe it would help to choose an Elven Archer?? :p
    Arrows of dispelling
    Elemental damage Arrows
    Some normal arrows
    Magic arrows

18. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

When i made a archer i was testing all the bows and crossbows...

Betwen bows the best one is Strongarm + to wield it you have to have a very good strenght- imported from BG1 natural. I admit i underestimated Tuigan bow... being a short bow with no great bonuses(+ to THAC0/damage) i considered it too weak.
    From the arrows i used piercing ones and elemental. Arows +2 make only one diffrence that it gives you +2 to THAC0 which isnt that important since those of piercing give you +4 i think. ;)

I found crossbows far too slow. It is true they have better bolts but you cant get those good ones very often aye? :p In my opinion far to rarely.

Conclusion: Test Strongarm and tuigan bow. Best way is to start a multiplayer and make to identical characters then shadowkeep(or CLUAConsole) those bows in and the arrows. Then start the shooting at each other. Who wins is better :) You should do this many times to minimalize the effects of random rolls. ;)

19. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I always thought it would be amusing to attempt a Cleric/Archer.....

A must would be the bracers of archery, for obvious reasons.
    Boots of speed. You will not want an archer to be caught in melee
    Heartseeker will not be needed, as you have called shot anyway, so ditch that. Grab something like the bears arm?? (the bow that needs 19 str.) and the girdle of hill giant strength. You could always go for somthing like elven court bow, just whatever floats your boat.
    Get down to WK quick like for the ammunition belt and the neverending +1 arrows. That way you can sell all excess ammo.
    Cloak of non-detection for those harrowing Truth sight spells.
    Shadow Dragon armour is the best armour available for a theif or ranger, so nab that.
    Ring of invisbility, for those times that a quick arrow in the head is called for, and with the nondetection cloak, you will disappear without a trace.
    Go for the regenerating ion stone, for a helm.
    Neckalce?? Well. That is Hard. Just grab a necklace of missiles and use that. Whatever you want, really.
    Melee weapon would be celestial fury. Nice and powerful.

Also, the ring of earth elemental for that extra AC bonus.

20. Saruman Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I have an elven archer named Legolas :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.