1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tansheron vs. Gesen Bow

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by CXwinds, Jun 2, 2003.

1. CXwinds Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Have you noticed that for some reason the arrows from the Gensen Bow seem to move slower than the ones for the Tasheron? Dose this make any difference? Or is it just me and there really is no difference in the speed of the arrows?

[ June 02, 2003, 19:21: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

There is a difference in speed, but i've never had any problems with that. You don't need any arrows so it save alot of space and it really is a good bow, i at least like it :)

3. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

BTW it is Tansheron's and Gesen bow :D

4. spoogemonkey Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I have read that the Gesen Bow is rated as a +5 bow for determining capability to hit "resistent" monsters.... which would negate the speed weakness...

but will some who knows for sure please verify that...

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

The space saved by having a ammunition - free bow is significant in SoA, though for some battles I still like to have specialized arrows. I have to put a plug in for the Tuigan bow -- I know it needs ammo but 3 shots per round is sweet and can really save the party's butt at lower levels.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Also - can someone verify the damage either of these bows does, plus any other properties? I'm not sure about the Gesen bow, but all Tasheron's Bow's description states is "This magical bow fires phantom arrows and requires no ammunition!" Well, sure that's great...but...what about the damage? On either?

Anyone? Anyone? Beuller? :confused:

@ LKD

Ditto on the Tuigan Bow. As far as I'm concerned, the first order of business once you leave the first dungeon is to pick that one up. It's a must-have item for low-level parties especially for Nalia or Yoshimo.

7. CXwinds Gems: 1/31

On the topics of bows, which ones do you guys prefer among: Gesen, Tasheron's or Tuigan.

Personally I like Gesen and Tasheron. The ability to not to have to carry arrows or buy magical arrows (since the arrows are considered magical), its a really great thing. So one basically has an unlimited supply of arrows and you don't have to reload ever. It's great.

However, the arrows for Gesen graphically doesn't look as cool as the ones for Tasheron, even though Gesen has better stats I believe.

8. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Anyway, You only can get +2 arrows and Gesen is +4, so...

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I ask again...does anyone know the damage the Gesen and Tasheron's Bows do? Neither of their item descriptions or any strategy guides I've read states this. Do they just do normal arrow damage, plus their enchantment? Is the damage done from them physical, or is it electrical/magical damage respectively?

Hook a brutha up!

10. Hassassin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

They are quite different in hit evaluation. "Arrows" from one of them (curse my memory :hmm: ) are able to hit the high level monsters, the other ones not. As for the damage - in both cases it is magical, and I would say that about the same.

11. spoogemonkey Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

In my party Nalia uses the Tuigan Bow. Frankly, it is because her THACO is not very good and I am convinced that 3 shots with +2 arrows makes her a bigger threat.

DeadBunny, I think the other bows just do straight dmg with the plus listed.... not so hot for such famous weapons...

I somehow missed the Gesen Bow String anyway....

12. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Here are the stats:

Gesen Bow:
    +4 THACO
    no ammunition required
    Damage: +1-8 electrical damage
    20% electric resistance
    Speed: 4

Tansheron's Bow:
    +3 THACO
    no ammunition required
    Speed: 3

So, the Gesen Bow is more powerful, but Tansheron's Bow is faster.

13. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

Gesen Bow:

THAC0: +4
    Damage: 2 piercing, 1-8 electrical
    Effects: Grants user 20% resistance to electrical damage
    Weight: 2
    Speed Factor: 4
    Proficiency Type: Short Bow
    Type: 2-handed
    Requires: 3 Strength
    Not Usable By:
    Druid
    Cleric
    Mage

Tansheron´s Bow:

Equipped Ability: This powerful bow requires no ammunition
    THACO: +3 bonus
    Weight: 2
    Speed Factor: 3
    Proficiency Type: Short Bow
    Type: 2-handed
    Requires: 6 Strength
    Not Usable By:
    Druid
    Cleric
    Mage

Doesn´t say, but you dont need ammo for Gesen either. (Got the stats from Shadow Keeper)

Anyway, what does the speedfactor do? I seem to get just as many attacks with say a sword with 8 in speed factor as I get with one with 5.

14. Death Rabbit

Media:
    IIRC, speed factor determines the speed of your weapon, and thus who connects first in a given round. This is helpful because it's possible (though difficult to pull off) that you could strike and kill an enemy before they even get a chance to attack, provided you chunk them in one hit.

Someone correct me if this isn't accurate.

15. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

Sounds reasonable. Although I think that 3 or 4 on a bow doesn´t matter since you hardly kill anyone with the first shot from any of those two bows... So I´d still go with the gesen.

16. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

The bolts fired by Gesen are +4 enchantment while the bolts fired by Tansheron are +3. There are a number of creatures in the game that require +3 weapons or better to hit.

Gesen is the best bow in the game, period.

17. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

At one point I had my archer firing the Gesen bow twice before the arrows (spears :D ) hit the target. Now THAT is slow ammo :p

But the Gesen is a mighty powerful missile weapon, no doubt.

18. CXwinds Gems: 1/31

I wonder why the orginal game designers didn't list what the two bows hit as, (namely as Rastor points out +4 and +3). This infomation is very valuable since some enemies require the magical hits. All well, the game is still great.

However, Rastor I was wondering where you would get that kind of info about the bows. Thanks

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The information provided above is correct, but you have to remember that you can fire regular arrows out of the Gesen bow, and you get any damage bonuses with them. So, in addition to the damage stated, you can get an addition 1-6 damage by arming arrows. Now, if your enemy is immune to the type of arrows you are firing you don't get it, but most of your encounters can be hit if you are firing magical arrows.

20. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Aldeth is correct there.

CXWinds, generally speaking (there are some exceptions) you can look at the THAC0 of the weapon to tell. Since these don't require ammo, they're +4 and +3 respectively. As for the information on the bows, I think Extremist told me that. You can also open up the item files in IEEP to see.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.