1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RC - Shia: A long forgotten tale.

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Lokken, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Ok, here we go. Sorry for manipulating some of the things of Dr. Raegan, mostly to get the things started. Currently the place is Hailborg, the capitol of Hispali positioned near the center of the land. The Halls of Marvel is the university, a large and prestigeful one that teaches nearly anything within lore and science.
    The Everseeing Eye of Orcinus is a great tall tower with a giant telescope on top, able to see across all the land to the borders and beyond. Also used to study astronomi and has started a debate if the gods really do exist or just are the tales of myth.

Sitting in his study in the Halls of Marvel, reading through some journals of Karl Tarion, an adventurer who lately disappeared into Karthad wilderness in the search for answers as to the Great Cataclysm and what happened to magic. Except for notes on low food rations and wild territory with nothing but horrible bugs biting, Dr. Raegan finds nothing of importance and puts down the papers. Sipping his tea, he looks out the window upon the great tower of Orcinus as the last rays of the afternoon sun enters his window.

The last of Karl's expedition found, was their equipment and clothes discovered by orcs. What happened to them nobody knows.

Looking up at the great telescope on the top, Dr. Raegan ponders on the words of Orcinus, the wee gnome inventor who made a fortune on inventing glasses, "In my life I've seen many things, but to understand them fully you need to be there in person."
    Maybe Karl thought of the same thing, a shame that his fate should be so ill.

Being abrupted by a knocking on the door, Lisa, the serving maid of Dr. Raegan gently opens the door ajar and glances inside. She looks a bit nervous about something.
    "Doctor.. there's someone here to see you, he looks quite.. ruffian like as if he hasn't seen food or shelter for many days. He wouldn't give his name, only that he was sent to meet you, discussing a delicate matter.. something about magic?"
    Lisa looks puzzled when saying magic, as if thinking it be a bit of childrens tales.
    "Will you meet him?"

[ March 09, 2003, 14:30: Message edited by: Lokken ]

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Dr. Horatio Raegan briskly jumps out of his seat. Embarrassed by his alclarity, he blushes and wipes his brow with a handkerchief.

"Why, er, yes, Lisa. I'll be there to see him immediately. Er, thank you, thank you very much."

3. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

"Yes doctor.."
    Lisa disappears from sight behind the door.
    Pondering who might want to see him, Dr. Horatio walks down to the lobby where visitors are waiting. Looking around the cozy room, the classical furniture with it's furry brown dry color shaping the atmosphere of ancient lore.

Standing in the middle of the room, a green weatherworn cloaked figure stands looking at a picture of Hailey, founder of Hailborg.
    His long black hair looks a mess and he turns slowly around to face Horatio. His stern scarred face seems unkept, but his eyes are gentle as deep blue ponds of wisdom. Horatio estimates he's around 30.
    "Ah.. there you are at last, I doubt you recall me Dr. Raegan, I was a student of yours once.." something in his raspy voice seems familiar to Horatio, "I'm Hamilton Furlo, it's been a long set of years."
    He approaches and offers his hand in a friendly gesture, "I followed Karl Tarion in his expedition, you know the expedition that was lost not long ago? We tried seeking reasons for magic's demise, although I'm out of clues. Perhaps together we could find some?"

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    {oops - never mind!}

[ March 09, 2003, 22:14: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

5. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

hey Rallymama, this is an actual game (I'd prefer the word play) where players have characters.

check out Strictly Roleplay for more info.

6. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Dr. Raegan smiles warmly, his eyes full of childish wonder. He shakes Furlo's hand.

"Ah, I think that it would be rather, er, rash if we set out immediately. Why don't you wait when Lisa comes back with some tea, and we'll discuss the matter over some of it?"

7. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Furlo makes a short laugh, "Why of course, I'm sorry, I didn't mean we should go somewhere beyond these halls."
    he sits down and scratches his short beard a bit seeming far away, recalling the memories of his travels. Suddenly he looks at Raegan, breaking the silence "It was a disastrous journey, seeking the valleys of Karthad. True to it's namesake, it is the forgotten wilds, no paths of man are there. We travelled far into the land, beyond the sight of the border nearing Mount Zionar at the center, hoping to find the hermit living there."
    he coughs a bit, as if remembering something horrible.
    "We were caught, one by one. I too. We found each other at their camp, they were.. human-like in form, but with traits of tiger or cat in them, never seen them before. I was wondering if you could tell me more about them from your files? They spoke our language and questioned us about our purpose. Once we mentioned magic, they seemed changed in attitude to the worse, and sent one of us back with the message that the wilds of Karthad should never fall to civilized hands.. I was the one chosen, not having any choice.. but to run."
    He hides his eyes in his hand, speaking in a lower voice, "Their fates I do not know, but with knowledge of them I might be able to repel them and save my friends."

8. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Lisa leaned heavily against the wall outside the study door when she heard Furlo's words. Karl's expedition couldn't be gone - she'd've known if something like that had happened, she was sure of it, and the unease she had felt since their departure hadn't been that bad.

Since she couldn't wipe her eyes, she composed herself by reviewing the contents of the tray: a pot of tea and two mugs; lemon and honey for Dr. Raegan, and milk in case Furlo took it; some sliced nut bread, sweet butter, cheese, and grapes. She backed into the room and set the tray down then hurried back to her tiny sitting-room off the kitchen, praying that Dr. Raegan had forgotten about the servant-call system that would let her hear most of the conversation.

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Dr. Raegan adjusts his horn-rimmed glasses and thanks Lisa.

Continuing on with his conversation with Furlo, he decides that making plans would be a good idea.

"Erm, yes, well, I haven't heard of anything like the cat-men you described, as that's not my field of expertise. But clearly, I suppose it would be in the best interests of the scientific community to, ah, examine what you've told us. 'Twill be fascinating, at the least."

I am on good terms with the professor of history and anthroplogy in the Halls. Perhaps we should talk to him about these cat-men?"

10. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Smiling at Lisa as she comes with the tea, he takes a cup and pours some milk and sugar. Sipping it gently, he closes his eyes, letting the warmth spread through his body and sighs with satisfaction, "Mmm.. blessed Phoenix, I've not had a decent drink for many a day. Thank you m'lady."

He turns to Horatio and nods in agreement, then looks a bit nervously around checking if anyone is there. Not seeing any, he leans forward whispering to Horatio, "I've seen it Doctor.. magic that is, it does exist still. But let me tell you of as we go."
    Smiling he rises and lets Horatio lead the way to Professor of History and Anthroplogy, Dr. Atiro Ledger.
    Heading there, their steps echo throughout the hallway. Furlo leans closer to Horatio and speaks in a low voice, "Among the cat-men, some were dressed in white-golden robes. They pointed their fingers at our weapons, and then our swords flew from their sheathes to the hands of those mages.. Seren, one of my dear friends tried to break free, but their eyes branded into his heart.. he fell shortly after.."
    Furlo sighs and walks a bit in silence, then looks at Horatio, "Do you know through your studies, any ways to make a protection ward against magic?"

11. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Dr. Raegan racks his mind for anything related to protective wards. Calling for Lisa, he asks, "Lisa, could you please search the library for a few texts concerning magic wards and the like? I think the book was called A Treatise on Arcane Symbols, or something like that. Librarian Emma should help you out."

Horation turns to Hamilton and smiles.

"Well, I s'pose that your journey has been long and arduous, so you should take it easy for a while."

[ March 11, 2003, 20:46: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

12. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Between Emma's knowledge of the library and Dr. Raegan's weakness for her nut-bread, Lisa knew she had plenty of time for a quick detour through the History department. The reception desk there was temporarily being staffed by a rotation of students while the regular clerk was at home with her newborn twins, and chaos threatened on several fronts. While she made smalltalk and shared academic gossip, Lisa bustled about the office with order trailing in her wake. When she waved goodbye to the student - a pale, acned redhead named Llewellyn - he had plenty of room on the desk for his textbook.

At the library, Emma quickly compiled a list and led Lisa back into the stacks. They found most of the books, but not the Treatise that Dr. Raegan had asked for specifically.

"I can't imagine why it's not here," Emma sighed. "That book never leaves the shelves - well, maybe when the new students are being initiated..." She chuckled and left Lisa to review her materials.

Turning back into the aisle to find a desk, Lisa spotted the Treatise on top of a heap of books that seemed about to topple on top of the student who sat at the desk.

[ March 23, 2003, 12:11: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

13. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

"I suppose you're right. I need some time to find people willing to help me out on this.. quest, if one could call it so. Though first to see what I should bring as the last one was unsuccessful."
    Heading down the hall, they take a left turn into a smaller hallway with a large door at the end of it. Above it was a sign that said "Hall of History".

"I take it, it's here?" Furlo smiles at Horatio and they start walking towards the door, "How long have you studied magic professor? If you don't mind me asking.."

The student seems occupied with a book of, what seems to be, description of magical contents as well with weird letters in it. He seems like he hasn't seen a hard days work in a long time from the size of his arms, but the red robe he's wearing covers the rest of his body.

[ March 12, 2003, 10:46: Message edited by: Lokken ]

14. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Dr. Raegan smiles.

"Well, I received my degrees in chemistry and physics when I was twenty-ish. Made a few advances here and there. But, well, you know, magic has been my interest since I was a green student in element'ry school."

He pauses and sips his tea, and continues.

"These last few years, I've found myself working harder than usual. And I've made a one or two discoveries on the nature of magic."

15. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

"Really, how fascinating.. What kind? Personally I dont know anything of magic, except for the tiny nature of it that I've seen with my own eyes."

Furlo opens the door and looks around the room. It's a small square room with another hall at the opposite end, wooden ornamented doors are to be seen at the right side of the room, and the sunset to the west.
    An old man sits reading a newspaper, and drinking coffee in the last sunlight. Looking up as you enter, he smiles at Dr Raegan. He's approx the same age as Horatio, though his hair is all white making him look a bit older. His hazelbrown eyes look curiously at Furlo as he sets down what he holds, and coughs a bit, "Ah goodevening Horatio, how do you do? What brings you to my chambers, and who's this new fellow?"
    He looks scrutinizing at Furlo, pondering what kind of vagabond this might be, then starts as he catches himself staring, "Oh, pardon me, I'm Dr Atiro Ledger, at your service." nodding his head in gesture, he looks questioningly at Horatio.

16. Oaz Gems: 29/31

"Why, hello, Atiro. Er, I apologize for my sudden intrusion, but I was wondering if you could help us both out a bit."

Horatio gestures toward Hamilton.

"Ah, this is Mr. Hamilton Furlo. He was on an expedition a while ago in Karthad, where he was assualted by, ah, some sort of cat-like men. Seeing as how you are the expert in the area of history and whatnot, I was wondering if you could point us in the right direction."

17. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Zedd didn't notice the toppling pile of books until it was too late. Luckily he had just leaned away to brush his long, dark brown hair from his face. The books landed with a loud thud, sending a couple off of the desk. Zedd looked around, embarassment clear on his face.

Crouching down, he picked up the books, stacking them more carefully this time. Then, as if nothing had happened, he returned to study the open tome.

18. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    "You missed a few."

Zedd looked up to see Lisa standing by his desk, as stack of books cradled in one elbow and two others in her extend hand. He muttered thanks as he took them, but she didn't release the Treatise. "Looks like you've been at this one for a while," she said, thumbing the snips of scribbled paper he used as bookmarks. "Dr. Raegan asked me to get this for him - any chance you can spare it for a bit, uh... I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name. I'm Lisa."

19. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Zedd looked up at her curiously, "Yes.. i've been here awhile. There's just so much in these books to learn..." He stared off into space for a moment, apparently lost in thought. Snapped back to reality by a soft cough from Lisa, he blinked a few times.

"This one? I was just about to start on it..." he sighed softly, "But, it -is- his book. Do you think you could bring it back once he's finished with it?"

20. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    "Sure. Give me your name and department and I'll send it 'round." Lisa looked at Zedd's scribbled note before pocketing it. "Thanks, and good luck with the rest of your studies."

She left the library and headed back to Dr. Raegan's office, pondering what additional insights he might find on all of those little bookmarks.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.