1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is BG1 any fun after BG2?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by antoine, Jun 22, 2001.

1. antoine Guest

I'm now playing BG2 and haven't played BG1 in almost a year, but is it worth playing BG1 after you finished BG2 a few times or is it boring because you don't have high levels and all those things (If you have beaten the great Irenicus and start over with BG1 and you are being killed by Gibberlings, I don't think that is much fun)

2. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I played BG1, then I played BG2 for four times and now I play BG1 again, and guess what? I think BG1 is just as good (and the first time even better) then BG2. So my advice: Go for it. You can also export a strong character (there are some tomes in BG1 that increase strength Dex, Wisdom and Constitution) if you want to.

3. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I played BG again after completing BG2, and you notice lots more about the game, like that guy who makes a sculpture of Ellesime etc. The only thing I missed was the lack of NPC conversation that was in BG2 and some of the portraits were pretty bad - i.e. Viconia - compare her portrait in BG1/2.

4. Dudette Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

uh... no

5. Avooch Dar Guest

yeah but if you think about it the monsters are equivilent. Where in bg2 you get golems in bg1 you get wolves etc.
    Plus as far as i am concerend bg2 was a faliure. Far to much city crawling. And far too linear compared to bg1.

6. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

At first i liked Bg1 a lot better than Bg2 because being at low levels it was more realistic since everyone was at low levels. Then i got to higher levels...

Also all those monster generators started to piss me off.(how many frickin kobald commandos can you fit under the firewine bridge!!!)

Still i felt Bg1 was much better and i got it after i got Bg2.

7. Lemernis Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm just getting started with BG2 so I can't comment on it much. But I can say that where BG1 absolutely kicks ass is in online multiplayer (and that means no pausing--live or die by your wits and/or the skills of those covering your back). Play BG1 with ToSC installed of course. Durlag's Tower is practically a game in itself--it's really a module. Dark Side of the Sword Coast is supposed to be very good also, and you can play that online MP also.

I just hope and pray BG2 is as good online as BG1 is. That is how I have decided play it trough the first time, actually--as part of a team online. I'm trying not to set my expectations too high because from what little I've seen of BG2 in solo mode I've already been slightly disappointed. (Although I do have faith that some great gameplay is in store for me. I'm only still in the first dungeon so I have no business bitching about anything, really!)

8. Mistyca Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

BGI is always a great game. Now i'm waiting for my copy of ToB, but after i've beaten the expansion, i'll start again with a new char. and run though the whole BG serie!!!!!
    I happily remember my mage running away instead of fighting really stupid monsters.....but with 2 first lvl spells what can you do????

9. Gopher thighs Gems: 2/31

Have to agree with Mystica - when you get used to hammering the bad guys in BG2 going back to the original (gibberlings!!run!!)seems a bit tame, but try and remember the feeling you had standing in front of Candlekeep Inn with your first ever character and remembering what it felt like to be going into Firetop Moutnain........

10. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Hey, Firetop mountain... That brings back memories all right. Ahhhh, fighting fantasy books. One player, three stats, everything prewritten...now I'm on one player, six stats, a whole pile of derived stats and everything preprogrammed.

On another point why is "Gibberlings! Run!" less fun than "oh look another bunch of golems, I will slay them with the Lost Sword of Kings I bought from a bloke in a pub"? Reading the BG2 forum I got absolutely sick of people describing their invincible Kensai/Mages dual wielding Celesial Fury and Crom Fayer, with all manner of other magical doodads. How can being an unstoppable force not make the game a chore?

[This message has been edited by Ironbeard (edited July 01, 2001).]

11. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

well fortunately the monsters are unstoppable forces too, so it all evens out :)

12. rangerdan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I think playing BG1 again is a good idea. I thought BGII was much too deep into the characters, where you just play the game in BGI. For me, it's definitley a relief to go back playing BGI. If you decide you like BGI better, try Icewind Dale. It's a lat of fun too

13. [sOv]Storm Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

IMO Baldurs gate II felt like a sequal, they tried to make every thing better and it was a mess so they added new things and it still doesnt match BGI in quests and gameplay

14. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

gameplay-wise BG is far superior to BG2, it has some variety and a wider selection of NPCs, not as many boring dungeon crawl quests, and more balanced enemies.

15. Shrylia Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I first played BGII and loved it, so wanted to start in BGI and move my character through the games. At first in BGI I thought I was going to be disappointed, but now its where I want to be. I am completely bonded with my group and can anticipate how things may be in BGII having played it already. I have a different character and feel like I would have benefited from playing BGI first to begin with, but , well thats life! Now I am catching up after already winning! And then there is TOB! I love this game!!

16. Baldursgate Fan Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Yes! Yes! Yes!

I am playing BG 1 with TotSC after BG2 and am now playing three games concurrently; the third being my second round through PS:T. Gaming is a full time job.

A cop-out reply to earlier posts to which is better is that both BG 1 and BG 2 are equally good. Seriously.

I am saving TOB for last. Yummy! Icing on the cake.

17. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Of course it is, and although taking on gibberlings after you've played a character able able to slay dragons may not be your idea of fun remember that it's to create a challenge for the character at that level. And i prefer playing through BG and BG2 with the same character, it's just a pity that to play a monk, sorcerer etc you can't use the character from BG :(.

18. Marmeille Gems: 2/31

In my view, the best reason to replay BG1 after completing BG2 is to start a new character at level one and have him/her increase in level and power all the way to level 40 in ToB. But that's just because I like to get really attach to my character and play with them for the longest time possible.

19. Neitsabes-Naej Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Marmeille:
    I think like you do. I really like to play through BG1-BG2-ToB with one character because you get a complete story of the life of your character....And I also get attach to it.

20. Baldursgate Fan Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Amen.

Gentlemen, I humbly refer you to my recent post in the adjacent BG 2 forum.

The only reason I can personally (read subjectively) find for ppl replaying Planescape is that they can't continue TNO character to a/an sequel/expansion because there is none. And it is indeed a very absorbing RPG. It is sad but true that its sales bombed. Game of the Year 1999 certainly deserves better than this.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.