1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Barbarian/Mage

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Tony Tulipstomp, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Tony Tulipstomp Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Sorry to make so many posts in a day but I got my friend interested in this game so I wanted to see if anybody knew how to end up with a barbarian(the dude with 12 hps/lvl?)/mage. After you roll the barb, it doesn't allow the option to dual into a mage (he is human even)

2. Shadow Steele

Shadow Steele Still hiding in the shadows all night

I think that like the sorcerer, the barbarian cannot duel. One of the things the creators hard coded or some such thing.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Two ways: mod or SK

There is a mod out there somewhere that allows a Barbarian or Wild mage to dual-class. Failing that, you can simply SK a multi or dualled Fighter to Barbarian, since it is treated as a Fighter kit by the engine. There's a bit more work after just SKing the class field, but if you pay attention to the details (rage ability, HPs, immunity to backstab, etc.) you can make it work.

@SS:
    The barbarian is different in that it is a kit while the sorceror (and monk) is treated as a class rather than a kit. Like how the Archer and Stalker kits cannot dual-class either. The kit restrictions are at least liftable because of the class combinations available. Sorceror and monk would require significantly more work.

4. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    There actually isn't any good reason for Stalkers and Archers being unable to dual class. It takes like three seconds to fix. The question is whether this was a "bug" or a "design decision". Personally, I think the fact that Stalkers and Archers can't dual is a developer oversight since none of the other horribly over-powered kits (from base classes which can dual class in the IE) are unable to dual class.

5. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The Stalker may have been done because they came across some issue with the fact that it has a backstab multiplier and ending up with it adding to or over-riding the thief multiplier or something.

6. Drew

Media:
    Rangers can't dual class as thieves, so that isn't an issue, here.

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Yes rangers can only dual into clerics, so it makes little sense why the kits are not allowed to be able to dual.

8. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Silverstar: The Beastmaster can dual, the other kits can not.

9. Tony Tulipstomp Gems: 5/31

damn, that beastmaster/cleric sounds pretty cool. what weapon do you end up using for them at high lvl? Looks like it's only club/staff/bows on their availability.

10. Drew

Media:
    The beastmaster/Cleric is actually only able to use clubs, staves, and slings. You'd be a lot happier dualing a straight Ranger.

11. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Unless you plan on playing as a support type character, I agree Drew.

A Beastmaster/Cleric would be a great caster, and could still hold his/her own in melee with Ironskins. As a matter of fact, if you use Stealth a lot, it's probably a pretty decent character.

BTW, there is a mod that allows Barbs to dual. I think a Barb>Mage would be a very effective character. The Bers>Mage has a better Rage (for immunities), but the Mage class can more than handle that. Since you won't need armor, that drawback of the Barb class is negated, and the added speed is sweet (esp. if it stays after dual-classing... I find Mages have to run if you don't position them correctly).

If you want to cheat a multiclassed Barb/Mage, you'll have a really sweet character. Since you're already cheatin', make sure you cast DUHM and Rage before each level-up... the CON bonus to HP stays after it wears off if you have it during level-ups!

12. Tony Tulipstomp Gems: 5/31

Hrm, I think I could try to make a barb, then use sk to convert it to a true class or something (fighter) then dual..after dualing, switch the kit back to barb?

13. Drew

Media:
    Decent, but the kit advantages (except for the familiar) are rendered essentially useless by his cleric levels. In exchange for 12 hitpoints (which is pretty much all a familiar is good for) and a few summon animal spells (which he'll have coming out of his ears due to his cleric levels) he loses the ability to wear any metal armor at and wield anything but a club, staff, or sling. A straight Ranger dualled to cleric will be a lot more effective and versatile (even though he has 12 less hitpoints). In addition to that, in the unmodded game, this dual class option is broken since there aren't enough useable proficiency slots to progress past level 20.

14. Tony Tulipstomp Gems: 5/31

I finally got it to work. You have to bounce from SK to game several times. I made a human barb, then switched to true class fighter in SK. Dualed in game to mage, then SK'd the xp to make him regain his barb lvl (to make sure the silly thing works *but make sure you change kit back to barbarian while still a mage. It didn't seem to work when I didn't change after lvl'g past regaining barb lvl), upon gaining his barb lvl, he can't use scrolls, but right clicking on them allows scribing. From there you can mem them and cast after resting. So I guess the barb/mage is possible except you cannot use scrolls the correct way. At least you can memorize them! Plenty good enough for me. :) Most importantly he's immune to backstab now hehe

So technically, you can do this to become a barb/druid, cleric, etc. Not sure if buttons work on cleric or thief tho!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.