1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Max level, who would win?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by jbigdaddy, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Aislaby Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Simple a theif would win as they are imune to spells when hiding in shadows (apart from area effect ones) can do mass damage with backstab and would wait till there was only the last person left and kill them in one go as thats what theifs do. Failling that a spellcaster would win if they had time to prepare their spells

2. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I've yet to meet a thief in the game who could backstab my sorcerer with stoneskin and mirror image. Sure, backstab, critcal hit, NIL damage.

You planning to wait in shadows for 12 hours for the stoneskins to wear off? I'm sure some area of effect spells will see to that idea. Sunfire, Abi Dalzim's - we have a very sorry looking thief on our hands.

Traps perhaps if the preparation time is there. Otherwise toast.

3. jbigdaddy Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

A thief with the use any item ability casts simulacrum or uses the helm(I forget the name), next that thief casts a spell or uses a wand to remove your protections, while the other was using the detect illusions skill to dispell your mirror image, quickly downs an invisibility potion comes up behind you and backstabs you.

Or even easier, I play a Kensai/Theif and I have killed countless mages that were mirror imaged and stoneskinned. Yes, the first backstab doesn't damage you but with two swords in hand and one of those swords being celestial fury, having cast improved haste with the ring of gaxx, and the speed at which a Kensai can attack, many a mage has sat there stuned while mirror image and stoneskin is beaten away, being continually stuned because of the pure number of attacks, until splat.

4. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

One lucky blow I ask you. Tsk, Tsk. :)

Of course it's possible, but you'd have to get the stunning blow in before time stop kicks in, as afterwards there wouldn't be anything left to feed the crows.

Even so, with chain contingency and spell trigger both casting 3 spells simultaneuosly, I really wouldn't fancy your chances.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    jbigdaddy,
    you can achieve the same thing by making a stalker dualwield the demarches stiletto and the pixie prick daggers = high number of attacks and nice item effects ...

btw - you can hide in shadows beneath a sleeping victim :evil:

However, I'd also like to mention the archer - a wonderful class that - on high level - has an awesome striking power: how about improved haste, aimed shot and arrows of dispelling and/or biting (it's hard to cast a spell when you're under a rain of arrows *and* suffering regular poison damage, while your protections are dispelled regularly). And when the mage - against all odds - has managed to cast mantle the archer could close in with the flail of the ages (elemental damage goes through stoneskin) ... IMO it mainly depends on tactics who'd win.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited February 03, 2002).]

6. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

How about a wizard slayer who just happens to have one of those scrolls which gives 100% immunity to magic?

7. Lord Sarevok Guest

Anyone would be powerful with that scroll, not only the wizard slayer.

8. jbigdaddy Gems: 5/31

Yup, tactics baby tactics. It's no good posting I'm going to do this and this and then you'll be dead...hahahaha :evil:
    You say well they're going to do this, so I'll do that, which means you'll do this and on and on and on...
    This is something which has to be done online. Roll on NWN. :evil:

9. void Guest

I agree on tactics, the mage would be strong though as would the kensai/mage, F/M/T, F/M/C, R/C and assasin/swashbuckler mage...

10. Lord Sarevok Guest

I just played a "duel" online with my level 13/25 Assassin/Mage, it was very fun. Both of my oppenents weren't legit at all, one was using Jon Irenicus's exact character, and the other was using some hacked f/m/t max level with grandmastery in all weapons and 25 in all stats. First, everyone was given time to prepare, and cast defensive spells and other things. When we actually started fighting the guy playing irenicus summoned multiple demons, and the other(probably a newbie, after all, his character was hacked), just kept swinging at him while the other ran off. I just let them fart around while I made a mislead and hid it out of sight, then cast breach on the Irenicus. Piece of cake, he went down in only 2 backstabs! The other fell the same way. So, I think tactics reign supreme, I was able to defeat two people with hacked characters, 2 rings of gaxx, ect.

11. Xyclos Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Tactics Rule the day!

Also remember guys that Mage/Sorcerer can cast multiple time stops. He can time stop, greater alarcity, shoot out a few abi dalzims, another time stop, summon a planetar or two, another time stop etc. and with triggers and contingencies he is unbeatable. But you seriously need to be experienced otherwise you might fumble around and mess things up.

Sorcerer without skill = sword fodder
    Sorcerer with skill = unstoppable

12. fungus Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hehe Bounty Hunter would win. As by the time all his traps went of, everyone would be dead anyway :p (after all you did say everyone can prepare in there own special way)

13. Lord Sarevok Guest

That's the problem, the other guy is STILL your party member, so a lot of spells like Horrid Wilting don't work, nor do traps.

14. jbigdaddy Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] Thats pretty funny, they can't play legit and still you kick their asses. :evil:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.