1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Max level, who would win?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by jbigdaddy, Jan 31, 2002.

1. jbigdaddy Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Ok you have a character at max level for evey possible character class in TOB.
    You have a massive gaming area into which they are all placed.
    So everyone has time to prepair in their own specific ways.
    Who's going to win.
    Ok I know that it would depend on how the characters are played and on tactics, but these aside which class would you expect to see standing at the end of the day?
    I'm at work now so I will post what I think later, but what do you think?

2. Frodo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

my vote is for the monk because of the armour class and magic resistance. And if someone fails a save they are in trouble.

3. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] A maxed out mc cleric/ranger would school them all...

-fighter type
    -Ironskins
    -all druid and cleric spells
    -Crom Faeyr and Flail of Ages (upgraded)
    - skills from fighter pool and cleric pool

Tough luck to anyone who gets in his or her way. ;)

4. Palpatine Gems: 5/31

Sorcerer, 6 spells from all 9 levels and if any legal BG2/TOB equipment is allowed use Robe of Venca + Amulate of Power cast Time Stop/Improved Alacrity, set up defences then kill. If nessacary you can Wish for spells back or double length TS/IA.

Monk goes down quick w/ 3 Lower Resists and 6 Magic Missiles and 3 Abi Dalzim's. Never gets close for that quivering palm (not that it is likely any max level character would fail that throw w/o Greater Malison).

5. I love bg2 Banned

I'm sorry but i dont think monk is that great a class on his own, he's good for scouting and been at the front lines but that's about it.
    I tried soloing a monk in tob and he got killed about 20 seconds after he got to the drow, and yet if I play a archer or spell caster type character i can win barly taking a scratch, so imo the monk is one of the weakest classes in the game despite all them abilitys, resistances and ac, or maby it's just me, could someone please enlighten me on any ways there are you can use a monk to there full potential.
    oh and btw the monk only has about 3/4 of a fighter's hp and dosen't have much lower ac.

[This message has been edited by I love bg2 (edited January 31, 2002).]

6. jbigdaddy Gems: 5/31

Ok there doesn't seem to be a general choice here, I thought as much. I guess this is just a situation where you can talk all you want but you'd actually just have to do it, as I described in my first post. We all get online and duke it out. Or we have like a round robin where everyone squares off against each other at least one time.

7. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

A fighter could only ever win if he hit first, and there was no prep time. Even so cast shadow door, wait a few moments, cast timestop. The rest is history.

Question is with or without Robe of Vecna?

With it any mage will wipe floor, more so the sorcerer. Time Stop followed by just about whatever you like. eg 3 lower resistance, greater mallison and 3 skull traps from a spell trigger should do the trick... at 31 d6 each that is pretty nasty, even if you make the save each time.

Perhaps chain contingency of 3 Abi Dalzim's to go with it? Wish, extended time stop, the possibilities are limited by your imagination only.

Any opponent would be toast.

8. Lord Sarevok Guest

Magic Resistance is overrated IMO. One lower resistance lowers is by about 30% depending on level, so just pop 3 in a spell sequencer and that monk is toast! Also a protection from magical weapons will last long enough for you to pull off a time stop then the rest is easy. You could try protection from magical energy, improved alracity then fling skulltraps like crazy. Or you could make a shield of defenses, with 2 flameshields of different color included and watch him kill himself :). Against a human oppenent, spellcasters rule supreme!

9. Yogojunzo Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I think that at high levels, any class can beat any class. Just like in sports where the worst team can beat the best team.

However, I'd take my chances with a Sorcerer with:

1. 3 Lower Resistances in a Spell Trigger
    2. Stoneskin, Protection from Magic Weapons, Mislead in a Chain Contingency set to go off when you see an enemy.
    3. Wearing the Cloak of Non-Detection.

When the fight starts, the Sorcerer will be invisible so he can't be targeted. Then depending on the opponent, I'd probably cast Time Stop, then Imprison. If it was a monk, I'd use the Spell Trigger to lower his resistance by 90%. Then imprison him.

10. Lithorn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Mage, hands down. In combat, imagine this:

Mage-chain congincey triggered
    Mage-spell trigger triggered
    Mage-congincey triggered
    Mage-minor sequencer triggered
    Mage-spell sequncer triggered

With the robe of Venca you could trigger all those pretty dang quick. And all the spells he could have in the congencys, like improved mantle, globe of invulnerability, flame shield, ect.

Then time stop, followed by several wails of the banshee could take a lot of guys out. This could be followed with another time stop, where there's protection from evil, and some gate spells cast. The mage would be really lethal. :evil::evil::evil:

[This message has been edited by Lithorn (edited February 01, 2002).]

11. Alienboy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

A spell caster cant kill all max level characters. How many magic resist spells can you get? A maxed 40 all fighter/mage/cleric could win I guess. Protective magics intill all charcters kill each other while the cleric/mage part summons monsters to his aid as well.

12. Lord Sarevok Guest

Only a few classes gain MR, most of it is from items, and even with those you can only get it up to a certain point...

He could just sit tight and keep his defenses up while the rest kill each other :). Hmm, a Sorcerer could have 7 lower resistances with the Ring of Wizardry, not sure how many other items increase the amount of level 5 spells you can memorize. Also he could have 3 in a spell trigger...

13. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Alienboy, be realistic.

A 40/40/40 Fighter/Cleric/Mage Multi?

Not really comparing like with like here are we?

Stick with the cap, that was the thread I believe.

14. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] You're all wrong - *I* would win ... with *any* class ... :spin: :roll: :rolleyes: :p

Seriously: It mainly depends on how well you use your classes abilities - in terms of flexibility, variety of abilities and possibilities to seize the tactical initiative I'd say it'll be probably a f/m/t or f/m or m/t played by a smart player. Once again thieves rule ... On every level, low or high it's the intelligence of the player that makes the diference - I mean: An idiot will even die with a level 40/40/40 char ... no class is foolproof :D

:angel: [Oh, I feel modest - must I be sick] :holy:

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited February 01, 2002).]

15. jbigdaddy Gems: 5/31

Well I did say in the first post that it was going to depend on tactics and how the character was played, and thats pretty true.
    Everyone on this board needs to get online, virtual world baby and we duke it out :evil:

16. strange_machine Gems: 5/31

Spellcaster typpe needs prep time, so if he gest ambush hes screwed. Ie, a spellcaster walking happily into the tavern. A rogue lurking in the shadows, and kaboom backstab the spellcaster. The caster will be dead, unless hes smart it has some sort of contigency, woot. But, yeah i agree magic users have the upper hand in high level battles. But, its not like amagic user can walk around with protections and whatnot. If a warrior starts hacking and slashing you'll probably fail to cast spells.. soo woot, it all depend osn the nature of the combat.

17. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

[​IMG] Well, I think a smart person using a Monk with very high Hide in Shadows and Move Silently skill will definitely rule the day.

Mage casting spell? Hide in Shadows
    Warriors attacking? Hide in Shadows
    Thief trying to backstab? Hide in Shadows

;)

18. yappie! Guest

[​IMG] I only say this....: Thieves.

As soon as even a spellcaster walks into his area then all those traps would go whap! He's down.

Apart from that unrealistic thought, i think spellcasters would wipe the floor.

Timestop and Robe of Vecna with improved alacrity - anyone is already dead before they know it.

thanks,
    gopherboy

19. jbigdaddy Gems: 5/31

Almost anyone could take anyone its all about tactics. Its not just a straight face off, its in a virtual world, hunting each other down, setting traps, it comes down to tactics a little luck and the player.

20. Lithorn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Mage defenitley! Another support thought:

Mage: Dragons Breath
    Mage: Comet
    Mage: Dragons Breath
    Mage: Comet:evil::evil::evil:

[This message has been edited by Lithorn (edited February 02, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.