1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Minsc

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by diebysteel, Oct 31, 2003.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Minsc has always fought well for me, and I enjoy having him around because he is funny. I agree that his proficiencies are off the beam -- being a ranger, he should have weapons selected that allow him to dual wield like he has the bonus points in, and they should be swords -- his mace skill is nice, but really, the good maces can be used by clerics while the good swords cannot! And the two handed sword thing is just silly for a ranger with 2 points already in dual wielding.

Minsc DOES have special equipment -- according to what I have read on here, Boo is what makes him able to enrage.

2. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Quick Minsc question:
    Doesn't his Rage make him uncontrollable? Like, his circle becomes yellow? It was like that in BG1, so why should that change in BG2?

3. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Sometimes. It's a bug, sometimes the rage makes him uncontrollable, but oftentimes it works identical to Korgan's.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    First off, Minsc's prof. points doesn't mean crap to me. Early on, I use the Sword of Chaos and Lilacor, until I level up and place points in Katana - then Dual Celestial Fury + Upgraded Mace of Disruption.

All the stats a fighter needs, he has (18/93 STR / 16 DEX / 16 CON) any points over 16 in dex or con are usually a waste.

I take him along because I like him ^^ and he really is quite powerful. ATM I use him in a party with him dualing the above and Korgan dualing the +3 axe from Bernard (I forget the name) and Aegers fang (when its taken off me, I will forge Crom Fayer (sp?) and I am owning :D

5. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The axe is called "Stonefire". What is "Aeger's Fang"?

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    One of Drizzt's mates have got it. Its a quality +3 War Hammer that deals big damage. Drizzt and his gang carry some wicked items... I had to relieve him of them ;) . They also give some massive XP for killing 'em.

7. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Someone should mention that, in order to KEEP Drizzt's items, you'll have to CHEAT.... :D

8. Kaos_Knight Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

To ditch Minsc would just seem wrong in some way... hard to explain, but the party would be the same without him *sniff* *sniff*...

9. Parvini Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Of course you have to take Minsc all the way at least once but there's one thing I can't stand - when you're repuation goes up or hits 20 he really starts to bug!! "hamsters and rangers everywhere rejoice!!!". My housemates don't want to hear that at 2 in the morning. heh heh

10. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Minsc is the only BG2 character that I never take. I just can't be bothered with his "quaint" personality. I rescue him for 3000xp and then bye. I have never played him long enough to get to TOB with him.

11. Hyperion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

About Minsc's Enrage... Korgan's is much better! It's true, Minsc becomes uncontrollable when he is enraged. Not totally. But before Enrage ends, it is a must to hit a party member at least once. It happened to me all the time. So Korgan is much better.

12. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31

"Go for the eyes Boo, Go for the eyes!!!"

If your ditching Minsc, you're not getting Boo, the most powerful space hampster there is. If you're playing good, you just gotta have Minsc. It all goes back to BG1 where my rogue teamed up with Imoen, Minsc, Coran and Kivan and you could just sneak everywhere you wanted. I know this might be a little off-topic but without history, there will never be a future.

[ November 13, 2003, 18:34: Message edited by: Mayfairy ]

13. Hyperion Gems: 4/31

Damn, I hate to repeat myself...
    Ok, Minsc has great stats, right. But he depends way too much on the equipment! Any lame character becomes real good equiped with the Red Dragon Scale Armour, handling, let's say, a Psyonic Blade (or what its name is). Plus, you must admit, he has very low Saving Throws. You cannot send Minsc in the frontline! He would immediately get charmed, entangled, or fail his saving against some power word or something else. Not only that he depends on equipment, but he depends on the party too. It will always have to be someone with a good Dispel Magic around him.
    Minsc... Minsc requires just too many preparations to make him work properly.

14. dshadow Gems: 8/31

Actually I managed to keep Drizzt's items without cheating. In the fight against the improved Bodhi, Bodhi killed Drizzt. After the fight I took Drizzt's swords and armour as my own and kept them with me all the way into TOB.

Don't know if this happens with the unmodded Bodhi.

15. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

So does Keldorn, Korgan, or any other front-line character.

16. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Time to stop comparing apples with oranges people.

1. Minsc is a warrior
    So forget all your "Imon casts Time-stop and Horrid Wilting and it'll own anything!!!!111oneone" because Minsc is what stops things from getting to Imoen before she casts Time-stop.

2. Minsc is part of a party
    So no "Minsc vs. Korgan/Keldorn/Anomen/Valygar etc." He's going to BE in their party, it's his job to work 'with' them not fight them.

3. You get Minsc at the start of the game
    You start with pretty vanilla stuff in Jon's hideaway. No Belts of This or Gloves of That. Consider his base stats then consider what his 'job' is.

Minsc starts off well, he's great to have around and has a habit of kicking arse. Sure he doesn't compare to Sarevok in any way what-so-ever but he isn't a problem to keep around, no quests, no need to run off anywhere. He's a warrior class, it's his job to hit things, if he gets some kind of magic cast at him that disables him it's your spellcasters job to fix him. I have to admit his wisdom score makes him a sucker for magic though (-1 on magic resist [i.e. saves] tables) however that is an oddity considering rangers have a minimum wisdom of 14...

17. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Excellent points, Abomination! I keep Minsc around for role playing purposes many games, and he is a very good frontliner for me. IMHO, his weapon proficiencies are a little wonky, but that's OK with me because like Imoen's spell book (or Nalia's, or ANYONE'S) it sucks at the beginning and as you develop the character you can make them nore to your liking.

Give Minsc a few levels, and his profs staighten out, and he can hold his own in most fights. While a run through without him is not the end of the world, he is always a great addition to the party, and IIRC, he's the strongest character you can get, and that matters early on!

18. jeremiah Gems: 4/31

His wisdom really shouldn't matter as IIRC they never did implement wisdom penalties to saving throws in BG series (IWD2 yes so I wonder how he would fare in the IWG2 mod LOL). And he can still cast ranger spells upon reaching the proper levels.

It is his intelligence that makes him a susceptible to intelligence drain. But that's what potions of mind focusing are for.

19. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Then why does Minsc have such bad saves? Frankly I'm only going off what other people are saying. I find his saves to be alright - same as any other warrior bar Korgan who get's INSANE saves.

20. Hyperion Gems: 4/31

@Rastor: Yes, they all depend on equipment, but have you ever tried to make a Minsc vs. Korgan match and see the results? Just drop the equipment, and put one to attack another and enjoy the show. Korgan is a warrior, which makes much better, by class, than Minsc. More proficients points, cool THAC0, and great Saving Throws. Because he is a fighter. You cannot compare one to another.
    And about the so called "advatage" of Minsc: ranger spells. Common guys... In Shadows Of Amn he barely gets a three level spell (ok, I don't remember very well, but I know that this is not the best thing about Minsc).
    @Lord Keldin Depaara: Still have to repeat myself... why don't you read my previous posts? Strenght is the easiest stat to change in BG2. You have 3 girdles, one hammer... I think there are more items too, but this are the ones which come in mind.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.