1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Minsc

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by diebysteel, Oct 31, 2003.

1. diebysteel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I always wondered why so many people like Minsc. On a roleplaying perspective i can't see what non insane PC would take such an Idiot with him. Also i don't think he's as funny as everybody says, after sometime his lines become really annoying. From a powerplaying perspective, I can't see the point, too. I'll compare him to the other fighters, both highlevel and good equipment:

Minsc vs. Korgan:
    Korgan has more damage, more life, better saving throws, and you can pretty easy get his con to 20 (Lums Machine, Axe of Unyielding (spelling?)) so that he will regenerate.

Minsc vs. Valygar:
    Backstab, get invisible, backstab... dead Minsc.

Minsc vs. Anomen:
    With all that cleric buffs, grandmastery and so on Anomen makes a much better frontliner than Minsc imho.

Minsc vs. Keldorn:
    Keldorn is THE mage killer in the game, and against fighters, his low dex can easily be corrected by the dexterity gloves. Again much more usefull imo.

Minsc vs. Mazzy:
    I can't say something about this cause i allmost never use her, but i've heard she is really good.

Minsc vs. Haer'Dalis:
    With stoneskin, mirror image, tensers transformation and all the other mage spells, Minsc would not even deal damage before his dead.

Minsc vs. Jaheira:
    An elemental prince, some normal elementals, ironskin and he has absolutely no chance.

Minsc vs. Sarevok:
    Pro Minsc: Rage
    Pro Sarevok: Better stats, Deathbringer Assault, grandmastery...

Now could somebody please tell me what is so good about him? :confused:

2. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Minsc is... well is Minsc.

I had to take a a break before typing this, Minsc is not to be questioned.

I think it's just because he's got such substance, such spirit, he is so likeable and so honourable, it would be hard to leave him behind.

I know he may not seem as powerful as someone else, but I take him along for the comraderie. He may be a little crazy, but he's not an ass, he doesn't have other obligations, and he is very interactive in the game, plus he's an old friend from BG1.

I have him as well as Sarevok and Jaheira, if I was going to play again I'd probably have Haer-Dalis as well, and maybe Keldorn, but Keldorn has to go home you see. Also, you don't get Sarevok till ToB, so for a large part of the game he is irrelevant.

Valygar and Mazzy are ok (I played with Valygar for quite a while), but they are a little lifeless, and I don't get along with Anomen or Korgan, though I am tempted to try them out, I seldom have the patience.

The other thing to remember is that you get Minsc right at the start, so he's usually at much higher levels than the other NPC's you meet (for me anyway).

3. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I do think Minsc is funny and he is a real force of good.

I also think he is really powerful. I don't really know why, but he always seems to get a lot of kills and gets killed very little.

4. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31

Methinks you're missing the point. You may as well say: Imoen could kick Sarevok's evil backside - Stoneskin, Mirror Image, Time Stop, 3 x Horrid Wilting - no more Sarevok - and draw the incorrect conclusion that Imoen is a superior character to take along because of this. Different characters have different strengths: Imoen (eventually) can cast Time Stop followed by 3 x Horrid Wilting and kill almost anything. Sarevok (and Minsc and Korgan, etc.) can carry on dealing out big damage all day long.

Minsc and Korgan are, in fact, equal: Korgan has slightly more hit points, Minsc hits harder. Myself, I'll take the extra damage. Korgan is Minsc's replacement in an evilly aligned party.

Your putative combats are not pitting equal against equal; you might as well say Minsc tied up, naked and unconscious gets beaten by a mutated gibberling and then CTRL-Q the mutated gibberling into your party. Haer'Dalis, fully buffed, probably beats anybody except Keldorn - but the catch is he's got to be buffed up first. Valygar, with ten invisibilty potions, likewise takes out anybody. So what? All that proves it that your different NPCs have different strengths. Minsc, Korgan and Sarevok have pretty much the same strengths: they hit hard and fast. Who you take is a matter of taste and in matters of taste there can be no dispute.

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Very well-put.

I tend to dislike Minsc because he does become annoying after awhile; I get around that by not having him in the lead position.

One on my pet peeves, though, is that he starts with the 2 free points in two weapon style, but doesn't take advantage of them; instead, he seems to be pushing for 2H swords. Not that there's anything wrong with 2H swords, but still...

6. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

I used to always run Minsc with 2H swords. Minsc armed with the Mace of Disruption combined with his racial enemy of vampire makes him absolutely tear through Bohdi's lair. Add a nifty offhand weapon and I think he's much more effective as a dual wielder.

7. Cross Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Minsc is fun. And, of course, there's Boo...

8. Azmodan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

BOO! BOO! ONLY A FEW PEOPLE MENTIONED BOO!!! that is the reason minsc rules....boo...miniature giant space hampster...with the occasional butt-kicking for goodness makes minsc a party animal.

9. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

"There once was a warrior true,
    with the sense knocked out of him, too.
    but in a hamster he found,
    some wisdom profound,
    and now where goes he goes his Boo!"

--Crazy Celvan

10. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Here's my view:

Minsc vs. Korgan:
    Korgan is disgusting while Minsc isn't. Minsc can stealth while Korgan can't. Minsc have Boo while Korgan have none. Minsc is good while Korgan is bad. Btw, although low LVs are not very powerful, you shouldn't waste them. Minsc can cast the armour of faith which is useful.
    Minsc vs. Valygar:
    Don't forget, Minsc can stealth too. Although not as skilled, still his dex is good enough. So if both stealth, no one is going to win and if both un-stealth, Minsc will win if both are using standard weapons.

Minsc vs. Anomen:
    With all that cleric buffs, grandmastery and so on Anomen vs a Minsc who have warrior's HLAs, I prefer the more damaging one, who will be Minsc. Btw, if both fight eachother in a duel, I don't think Anomen will be able to cast his spells without being disrupted as Minsc will not stay and wait till Anomen cast all his spells.

Minsc vs. Keldorn:
    Keldorn is THE mage killer in the game, and against fighters, his low dex can easily be corrected by the dexterity gloves. But can Keldorn stands alone against a demi-lich? :evil: No! But an enraged Minsc certainly can!(This point alone should make Minsc a super power.)

Minsc vs. Mazzy:
    Common sense tells me that Mazzy will have no chance at all.
    Minsc vs. Haer'Dalis:
    With stoneskin, mirror image, tensers transformation and all the other mage spells, Minsc would not even deal damage before his dead. But Minsc isn't go to wait for that is he? Anyway, Minsc can fight more battles before he needs a rest. But for Haer'Dalis, I think he will be out of spells with only a few fights and needs to reat again.

Minsc vs. Jaheira:
    An elemental prince, some normal elementals, ironskin and he has absolutely no chance. But he isn't going to give Jaheira a chance either is he?

Minsc vs. Sarevok:
    No comment. But what about demi-lich? :evil:

Overall, Only Korgan can match with Minsc against the demi-lich.

11. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I agree wit that. One has its own unique style of play and preferences over teammates.
    I never choose Minsc for instance. Because when i had him in BG 1 was killed so esily :bang: i could not hold my patience any longer. Now out of habit or fear, may one say, i leave him at first chnce given after Irenicus dungeon

12. Scoobiez Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I agree that Minsc's babble can get to be old....but he does kick butt!!! And is very fearless!!!

Trade him for Korgan? NO WAY! I'd rather be face down in gutter water!!!

13. Thyorna Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Korgan is much better than Minsc. Korgan has Grand mastery, a better rage, and with Axe of Unyeilding and The machine of Lum the Mad you can get his constitution to 20 and above resulting in regeneration. Korgan also has more hitpoints, and a coherent(if somewhat psychotic) view on life.

14. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Minsc is the avatar for butt-kicking goodness!

Anyway, I thought it would have been rather funny that, if at the end of TOB, you find out that Minsc isn't crazy afterall. He's just a joval goofball!

But, alas, no. :(

Too bad you can't ask Solar to cast a powerful restorative spell on Minsc's brain. Better yet, I would like to let Minsc become a god! Just imagine the clerics! ... and Boo the Avatar!

15. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31

If you're playing evil, dump Minsc whenever you feel like it: a friend is only a friend inasmuch as he's of use. Alternatively, consider this: Minsc is a simpleton and a true innocent, so take pleasure in corrupting him and bending him to your evil will.

16. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, I think Manus and Menion Leah summed up pretty much waht I would have said.
    Honour and comdey that never grows stale on me combined with BOO make for the one character that I never ever go through the game without. Not to mention that by the endf of ToB he usually outstrips almost every other character in kills at least three-fold. He is, simply put, MINSC!

17. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

minsc really helps early on to beef up the front line - and has this strange knack for pulling criticals out of his ass from nowhere

but i'd rather have the pint sized front row pairing of korgan and mazzy =)

18. Hyperion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Well, that's odd... Where I come from, Minsc isn't that much liked. It's true, every NPC exceeds in something... except Minsc! It's true, he is very strong. But, on the other hand, strenght is the easiest character status that can be altered. So much for the strenght. For the rest Minsc could very easy be the worst NPC in Baldur's Gate. Everyone who can use the stealth abitity does it with better results. His default weapon proficiences aren't by far the best I've seen. Why would you want to specialize a Ranger in Two Handed Swords? It would take 2 other points in katanas (that is a good strategy, trust me!) or long swords to use the best of Minsc. Well, ok, maybe he is not such a bad fighter, I must admit. But the worse part about Minsc is his Saving Throws! Even later in the game he still gets cought by those hold and charm spells. Is hard to have Minsc in your party, because you will always need at least to other fighters. His only advantage is that he has high HP and can tank like no one else (except maybe if you are a Barbarian with 19 Constitution). He doesn't have much of a personality either. Another bad part about Minsc is the fact that most of the NPC have some personalized gear: Haer'Dhalis, Keldorn, Cernd, Valygar, or some special treat (e.g. Edwin) that makes him a good choice for your party. For Minsc - no gear! Don't get wrong. IMHO, Korgan is the best fighter anyone could have. Plus, Minsc's Enrage will never overcome Korgan's! Korgan is a pure fighter, with the proficiences in the good place, good save vs. throws, good THAC0... Minsc... Well, Minsc depends way too much on equipment. Any Warrior equiped with the right stuff kicks ass. And not just warriors. OK, this is - in most part - my opinion about Minsc. I finished the game with him, but I missed Keldorn... Lame NPC!
    P.S. Sorry for the spelling errors (if there are any, I can't tell). Hope you enjoy my first don't-know-what-this-is ever.

19. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Most people know Minsc isn't the most outstanding fighter. But...he's Minsc. I'd much rather have him than Korgan :)

20. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I've used Minsc as my sole fighter in a five man party through most of SoA and ToB and did just fine.

How?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.