1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Favorite Underappreciated Weapon

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. Razfallow Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Staff of Curing
    Torm is said to manifest these items during times of great trouble, granting them to priests who care for the wounded, diseased, and poisoned. It is not to be taken for granted however, as the enchantment, though useful, is fleeting. It must be used with all due care.

STATISTICS

Abilities (one charge):
    Cure: 3 - 18 +3 hit points, Disease and Poison

AC: +2 bonus
    THAC0: +1 bonus
    Damage: 1D6 + 1
    Damage type: crushing
    Weight: 4
    Speed Factor: 4
    Proficiency Type: Quarterstaff
    Type: 2-handed
    Requires: 5 Strength
    Not Usable By:
    Thief
    Fighter
    Mage
    Monk

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Yup, that's the one I was thinking of. Although I seem to remember an associated "+3" with that weapon. Perhaps the +3 is just in the line with the amount of hp it heals, and I mentally transposed that to the staff. Is the title line simply "Staff of Curing"? It doesn't say, "Staff of Curing +X?"

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG] :confused: Incidentally, the Staff of Curing is +0; the enchantment field is simply listed as "No" like any normal unenchanted weapon.

Possible explanations:
    -In PnP, blessed weapons got a +1 to hit and damage, but I'm not sure if they counted as +1 or not.
    -Extraordinarily well-made weapons sometimes had +1 to hit and/or damage, though they cost a pretty penny.

EDIT:
    :lol: Yeah, I'm packing it around for no good reason too. Though Jan does really need all the AC I can find for him. :nolike:

[ December 09, 2005, 19:53: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I always treated the Staff of Curing as a charged rod - a utility item, never a weapon. By the time you get it, there are several better staves to choose from.

Incidentally, I rarely end up using it anyway, just packing it around forever and never using its powers. I'm really stingy when it comes to charged items - never wanting to "waste" them. And then I end up packing them around so long they aren't worth using anyway. No joke - last time I played, I still had the wands from the floor trap in Irenicus' dungeon when I went to fight Irenicus!

I'm a tool.

6. Razfallow Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

It is fixed in Baldurdash fixpack.

7. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Arbane because its +2, can be found very early, gives you haste AND free action on equip.

Kundane +2 comes in second, as it gives you an extra attack...very useful in all situations...

8. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

We are indeed talking about the Same staff Aldeth. It is not a +3 weapon though. The Cleric's Staff however is also a Quarter Staff and it is +3. You may have been mixing the two up.

9. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Well, like many people have said, it is +1. I checked in DLTCEP. A shame it was left out but worse things happen at sea....

10. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Stiletto of Demarchess.

It's the only stiletto in the game! And as stilettoes go, it's a mean weapon. Lower the saves of the victim with Doom, and stab away!

Helps against those nasty damage making baddies, like air elementals, with low saves! It's like darts of stunning, but a stiletto!

11. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I agree on the stiletto. Early on I've found it makes things easier to have a thief using it and sneak in while the big guys are holding things and doing the brunt work and start trying to get the affect to trigger. Then creatures don't often survive the rounds of stun.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    This is the most likely explanation starwalker. My apologies for those who would have voted for it, as I deliberately left it out thinking it was +3. I have to admit that I'm in the Death Rabbit camp here. Very stingy with charged items.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.