1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Prot from Magical Energy Question

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by mexican, Aug 11, 2006.

1. mexican Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

So I'm led to believe from the spell description that this spell will confer 100% immunity to any damage suffered from any spell (fireball, magic missle, Horrid Wilting, etc.). Now, I tried to use this fact to my advantage just minutes ago and couldn't help but notice that I was still taking damage from fireballs and lightning bolts. After a little testing I did find that Magic Missle didn't harm me.

Maybe it's just my game? Or perchance a mod has interfered? I can try and track down the culprit if I know the spell isn't bugged or something.

2. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The spell is working as it should. It blocks damage from the damage type "magical energy," not all spells that do damage. I recommend taking a read through a guide or two to familiarize yourself with some of the more unknown rules, unless you don't mind having a nasty surprise each time.

Pro Magic Energy works ideally for Magic Missile, Skull Trap, and ADHW.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    To build on what Xanthus E said, it does not protect you from elemental damage. Melf's Acid Arrow, Flame Arrow, Incendiary Cloud, etc. are other examples of spells that will get through.

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

It still is a most useful spell, immunity to ABDHW is, excellent protection against toughest mages around. It also protects against various cause wound spells (gauths use some) and most notably, that continous damage while in Slayer form. (but it will still KO you instantly if you are not careful.)

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Protection from Skull Trap, Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, Magic Missiles...and you are still not happy? :rolleyes:

Tell you what though...the 8th level version, Protection from ENERGY WILL protect you from damage from ANY spell...including Fireballs, Lightning Bolts, Incendiary Cloud and what have you.

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

IIRC it does not confer %100 immunity, am I wrong? (shame on me if so)

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31

50% protection from magical energy, such as MM and ADHW.

I may have misinterpreted, but what magical energy the spell protects you from is the energy that is purely magical. Anything that is elemental, like fire, acid, electricity, cold, poison is not covered by the spell.

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

This is weird, Kuemper.

Protection from Magic Energy protects from Magic Energy, such as MM, Skulltrap, ABDHW, and cause wounds spells. It confers total invulnerability as it gives %100 resistance to magic damage. It is stated wrongly in Planet Baldur's Gate site, it confers total invulnerability (%100)in my games! I know it well, as my smarter mages all have it and all are immune to ABDHW and Skulltrap. And I have used the spell in more than one occasion.

Note that magic damage resistance and magic resistance is not the same things. :p

Level 7 protection from Elements protects from various elemental damages. 'When the spell is cast it confers 75% immunity against all elemental attacks such as fire, cold, and electricity whether magical or non magical such as spells, weapons, wands, breath weapons, etc. This effect lasts for the duration of the spell or until dispelled.' (courtesy of PlanetBaldursGate) So Level 7 Protection from Elements does NOT protect against pure magic damage (MM, skulltrap, and most notably ABDHW will do FULL damage=dead mage!) AND acid damage. (which is rare but usually pretty grim.)

Level 8 Protection From Energy, on the other hand, prtects against ALL kinds of energy damage, including pure magical, by granting %75 resist to all. This spell also protects from acid damage, where as level 7 variant does NOT.

The biggest disadvantage of those spells are horribly short duration. 1 round/lvl will not cut it.

Hmm, Pro from Energy and Elements, do they stack?

Priest version Pro from Fire is much better, and various mage protections:pro from Fire, Cold, Acid, Lightning, etc. is MUCH better, as they confer total invulnerability. (%100 resist=alive and well mage) If you know what you are up against to, better have these spells instead! They last longer too. (1 turn per level) This is actually ten times longer! Awesome! :thumb:

Pro rebutal:Hmm, if you are a sorc, you can choose higher level ones if you don't find other useful picks.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.