1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Druids in TOB

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Shrike00, Jul 5, 2001.

1. Shrike00 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I am interested in playing a druid through BG2 and into TOB. I never played a druid in TOB because of the ridiculous level limit.

Are the high level abilities you gain as a druid in TOB worth going out and purchasing the game?

What are some of the high level abilities?

2. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

summoning elemental princes ;)

3. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

They can also shapeshift into elementals and gain immunity to poison and 10% resistance to elemental damage(ie. fire, ice) every so and so level(forgot)

Imo druids are better than clerics in ToB.

[This message has been edited by Tyresian (edited July 05, 2001).]

4. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] I would say that thier effectivness(sp) has been greatly improved from BGII. New summoning spells and transformations also help out greatly(not to mention the resistances).

5. reijek hidesman Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Clerics are still *WAY* better than druids. Clerics can wear good armor, get the holy symbol (although I was kind of disappointed that Viconia got one for Talos instead of from Shar), and a Deva can whup an elemental prince. I think that the only time you can make an argument for druids is at the beginning of SoA, when you insect swarm is useful for messing up enemy spellcasters. If you're still not convinced, try putting Anomen toe to toe with Jaheira. Even with Jaheira's fighter levels, Anomen kicks her ass. As for Cernd, Imoen can take him one on one. Jaheira actually does power up decently in ToB, but it's really only her fighter levels, seeing how she didn't gain a single druid level in the course of my game. At the end of SoA, Viconia (flail of ages) easily beats Jaheira (belm), but in ToB, Jaheira consistently wins.

6. Tyresian Gems: 8/31

Clerics are still way better than druids??

Let's see, first about the devas, druids can also summon devas, and they can summon a deva in addition to the elemental prince. Elemental princes deal more damage, can take more damage, have lower thac0s, lower AC so how is the deva better? Sure the have an instant death ability if the person fails a save but everyone has such insanely low saves it doesn't matter anymore.

Better armor hmmm... let's see, not only are there very good leathers in ToB now but druids can also wear white dragon scale mail which has better ac than most plate mails.

Druids have all the high level abilities that clerics have and more. Plus while clerics will eventually run out of high level spells to pick from druids can keep on choosing elemental transformation which is put in the special ability menu.

Imoen taking on Cernd... as i recall Imoen is a Dual class thief/mage, unless i'm mistaken that's not a cleric.

I have put Jaheira toe to toe with Anomen, a little whirlwind attack and Anomen was turned to mush.

The holy symbol is unneeded, besides druids get a special ring which is similar.

So i don't see how you can think clerics are *WAY* better than druids.

7. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31

Veteran

Just posting that I agree with quite a bit of your response Tyresian. I think that Druids 'come in to thier own' a bit more in this expansion. The 'Insect Swarm' is still one of my top 3 spells that I cast in the first round of a group battle (especially if there are spellcasters in the enemy group).

I also believe that the Elemental Princes are the second most powerful summoned creature. The first is the Planetar... the third is the Deva. Druids can summon everything a Cleric can and more.

However a Cleric still has the powerful spells that seem to ignore magic resistance each and every time. Holy Smite, Bolt of Glory and Holy Word. The ability to turn Liches and the like into dust is awesome as well. Overall class power goes to the Cleric in my opinion but summonning power easily goes to the Druid.

8. reijek hidesman Gems: 2/31

Speaking of summoning, why are mages able to summon a more powerful angelic entity than clerics. You'd think that clerics should have a stronger connection to divine power. But as for imoen taking on cernd, I was just using her as an example of someone who is a complete weakling in melee. For summoning, I almost exclusively use planetars- nothing else seems to be good for much except damage fodder. Elemental transformation- seems kind of useless for Jaheira, as her stats with equipment are better. All said, I still get a kick out of using insect swarm, and get really pissed when enemies use it on me. btw, I did try the Anomen (flail of ages)/Jaheira (ixil's spike) battle again, and even with Jaheira using a whirlwind and Anomen just hacking away, Anomen still schooled her.

9. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31

Veteran

I also agree with the unreasonable summoning ability of the Mage class - the overpowerful Planetar-. Have you checked out the spells the Planetar has? Good grief! This guy can cast for hours and still have leftovers. I wholeheartedly conclude that Cleric's should have the ablsolutely most powerful Angelic and Demonic summoning spells.

Instead for some wierdo reason Mages do.

Druids should and do have the most powerful elemental summoning spells. I hope some things actually get a slight step better with Druids in NWN. Likewise that summoning ability that Mages have should migrate over to Clerics yesterday-like.

I did fail to mention a slightly underated summoning ability of Clerics. When fighting Yaga-Shura's troops (I deliberately delay going after him so his army can dump on me... hey, lots of XP!), I summoned 4 Skeleton warriors and hasted them & my party. They did extremely well. Not to mention... they stick around for hours compared to rounds of other summoned creatures.

[This message has been edited by Draco Vlasavius (edited July 12, 2001).]

10. granta Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The drawback of Druids is their shockingly high experience requirements...
    Going from 13th to 14th level requires 225,000 experience for a Cleric, and 750,000 for a Druid. The gap from 14th to 15th is 225,000 for a Cleric and 1,500,000 for a Druid.

At the cap (8,000,000), Clerics are 40th level, Druids 31st.

11. Firkraag Nizzlet Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Druids all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:d

12. bongo tjockskalle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

hehe!
    I remember that quote from the old bgdungeon boards :D

13. DemoGorgon Guest

ToB is definetly worth the experience, BUY IT

14. Seid Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Druids can wear great armor. Some of the good leather armors are Studded leather of thorns and Grandmaster's armor.

15. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Are these armors in ToB? I never heard about them.

16. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

AFAIK they are. I found the thorne one but I can't remember if I found the other one or not.

17. Neitsabes-Naej Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Hmmmmm....
    About the druid class:
    They had to modify the druid conception for the game. In AD&D rules there is only one 15th level Druid in the prime material plane. When He become level 16 He chooses who will replace him as THE 15th level druid. When he goes level 16, 17, 18 ,19, 20, 21, 22, 23. He's not a druid anymore (He become a Hierophant) He lose is 5 bonus 7th level spell but aquire some Over-powerfull ability like elemental-planar travel...Wich means He could go to the fire plane and come back with the prince and an army of fire elemental if He had judge the case worth it (Wich means the case would be a danger for The Balance. In that case the elemental would gratefully join the Hierophant for the war)...

That wasn't possible to apply in the game so they modify the class. They could have made it a little more powerful though....

For example, if you are between the target and the caster of the spell creeping doom, you could take up to 1000 hp of damage. They did not rendered this very well in the game...There are many example like this...

18. Shade Gems: 2/31

*SMALL SPLOILER*
    You almost certinatly did. It was on Eldar Had (the thief in the fight with Gromnir-Il-Khan)
    *END SMALL SPOILER*

I think clerics are better than druids. For soloing, druids are better because they can summon better fighters, but in a team, clerics work way better.
    Plus, clerics can use some REALLY good weapons such as the Crom Feayr, the Flail of the Ages, the Runhammer, and the Mace of Disruption. The druids can use okay weapons, but not very great. Belm, Impaler... Can't use any sort of sheild apart from a buckler.
    Clerics can generally help the team out better, and are better fighters.
    Druids can summon great creatures, but if I wanted lots of good fighters, I would take Sarevok, Korgon, Minsc, Keldorn, Valygar, and Anomen.

Oh, and clerics are SO much better at killing undead. Turn undead, weapons that kill undead, false dawn....

[This message has been edited by Shade (edited August 01, 2001).]

19. Tyresian Gems: 8/31

Shade, where you looking very hard for weapons?? What about the spectral brand, club of detonation, staff of the ram!!! You just listed SoA weapons but ToB has many good weapons that druids can use. And what about the staff of the woodlands from SoA!!!

20. Seid Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

For a good spear try Ixil's Spike +6.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.