1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tutu - Voices Changing: How?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Kip, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Kip Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I've hated Minsc's voice from the moment I heard it. How do I change it to the second game's version?

2. cmorgan Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

This is something that can *technically* be done to a small extent, but involves some serious time and work for some awkward results. Kulyok did this for a custom-voiced Xan at PPG, but she had a voice actor locally do an entire new set, and replaced the sound references only, leaving the written strings as-is.

Unless you could hire the original voice actor and re-record the original BG1 lines, you would have a mismatch between what Minsc says on-screen and what you hear him say.

If you want to build a mod to do this, I would ask Kulyok what you are getting into before progressing.

3. Kip Gems: 5/31

Interesting... I mean all I want to do is switch the BG1 voice with the BG2 voice. I guess it's a wee bit more complicated then I thought it would be...

4. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Actually, that would be pretty easy. It would probably only take you a couple minutes with a tool like DLTCEP.

5. cmorgan Gems: 6/31

You can load up DLTCEP, and rereference all of Minsc's .cre assigned soundset strings with the BG2 ones, but there is not a direct correllation (and some of them do not exist - they are not parallel. You can see this by loading up a Tutu game in NI or DLTCEP and then loading up a BG2 game. Minsc has a smaller and different soundset from BG1. My experiments with getting BG2 specific soundstrings to play during a Tutu/BGT game have not met with success. Most notably, assigning references for Hide in Shadows, etc. , all found in the BG2 engine, have yet to play in-game even when the hide is successful. You would need a guru like devSin, Smoketest, or Avenger to tell you why.). You are likely to need some of the strings from BG1 to play.

6. Kip Gems: 5/31

Once again, interesting. Thanks for the info.

7. Drew

Media:
    @cmorgan: Couldn't you just overwrite BG1 voice clips with the BG2 clips and then overwrite the relevant string references? It's not exactly elegant, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

8. cmorgan Gems: 6/31

I thought it *would* work, but could not get it to work correctly in-game :(

I will do some more research and check back, because this was from experimentation last year (and my skills have improved somewhat) but I do know it was a frustrating 2 months of trials, and didn't work.

9. Kip Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] [Edit] DLTCEP worked. What ya gotta do is open up two DLTCEPs with them both directed at Tutu. I'm used the EasyTutu so I don't know but anyway, in one edit; creatures; minsc10. In the other edit: creatures: _minsc. Then when editing the soundsets just line them up and replace the String reference (it's between TLK entry and the Tagged Text option) of _minsc with that of minsc10. Make any other changes you want. Save. Then open minsc10 with _minsc# and line up stats on _minsc, save as. So there you go. Not so hard now is it? Well atleast I've figured out how to use DLTCEP to edit sounds :p

P.S. cmorgan, even the hide in shadows worked.

[ March 08, 2007, 01:47: Message edited by: Kip ]

10. cmorgan Gems: 6/31

Cool -- sounds like my trouble was with the base install versions I was using after all. I thought it was that the engine wouldn't recognise the darned references. Thank goodness for EasyTutu - even modders need stable platforms.

And Drew rules all :)

11. Drew

Media:
    I rule nothing. It's just that my view on modding favours expedience over elegance. I look at things differently because I can't code worth ****.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.