1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Advice for Improved Bodhi

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Djieff, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well, I want to go to Spellhold and then the Underdark to get Solaufein ASAP and start that romance. Problem is, I can't get past Improved Bohdi (from Tactics mod), and I've tried A LOT of different strategies. Nothing works and it's getting a bit frustrating.

Minor detail: I'm semi-soloing (just me-F/T multi and Aerie) and we are both around lvl 11-13.

So far I managed to get her down to "Injured" using traps and a few hits from Aerie's MMMs. She seems to be immune to just about everything I throw at her (even after 2X lower resistance, greater malison and doom) and even if I'm protected against her level drain and abi-dalzim's, her physical attacks are just too much (20+ damage each hit; she never misses).

Invisibility is no use (she sees right through it), summons are useless (death spell), dispel magic doesn't dispel anything (too low level), the upgraded MoD doesn't affect her, hell, even running away is not an option since she teleports right away to continue the onslaught.

I tried everything I could think of. Does anybody have any suggestions? I do NOT want to use any other NPC than Aerie. Thanks all!

[ March 26, 2004, 13:25: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Stash Aerie in a corner somewhere far away. Keep a ready supply of potions of haste and healing. When she appears, drink a haste potion and start running. When she teleports to you, keep running. Replenish potions as needed. Eventually, she gets tired and leaves.

3. Djieff Gems: 7/31

She gets tired and LEAVES?!?! How freakin lame is that?

So what you're telling me is that I have no chance in hell of beating her? :nolike:

4. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Boddi just ups and leaves? I've never known that happen before.

You're using a F/T so you've got access to snares. Set as many of them where you know she'll spawn. Rest and set more, as many as the game allows.

If you've got Aerie, you should get hold of the Skull Trap spell and fill the area where Bodhi appears with them.

With this kind of combination, you ought to bring Bodhi down to near death before she even has the opportunity to strike back. Cheesy but well within the game rules.

5. Djieff Gems: 7/31

Will the skull traps blast through her magic resistance?

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If you last long enough in Chapter 3, she will just leave. It's a fight to the death in Chapter 6. To me, and based on your party, I don't think you can legitimately beat her. If you allow the cheese of knowing her spawning point, as well as the rest and reset traps cheese, I suppose you have a chance, as I think a thief's trap doesn't invoke magic resistance. I guess there's no real difference between cheesy tactics, as the one I suggested is pretty cheesy too.

7. KaraBenNemsi Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Have you tried to set game difficulty to the lowest possible? I did after she had killed my whole party multiple times with lots of her special Abi Dalzims.

Then You might need the following: A +4 weapon usable for backstabbing (I used Rhynns Staff +4), some potions of invisibility (5 or so) and the Girdle of Hill Giant Strength (more punch to your backstabs). Aerie needs some Potions of Extra Healing. Rod of Resurrection is recommended since Aerie might not survive (but she should be used to that fact by now :D ).

After Bhodi has made her speech let Aerie (stoneskinned by default and protected from level drain) cast haste. Then let her attack in melee. You should drink a inv. potion and run behind Bhodi. If you're lucky and score a critical you might need only 2 backstabs to get her down to "near death" since your backstab multiplyer should be at x5 at lvl 13.

In my last game I needed 3 backstabs with my M/T to force her to flee.

This definitely doesn't work on core. But on novice the show was over quite fast.

Another thought: have you tried protection from undead? Maybe she can't see through this?

8. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

To dispel, use the arrows of dispelling or acquire Keldorn for a good cause?
    I remember I had trouble with a full party at low level so I shudder to think what it would be like with two :eek:

9. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

The traps won't do a bloody thing, and the Skull Traps will not hurt her.

She's pretty much unbeatable in Chapter 3.

10. david w Gems: 19/31

I haven't used traps against Bodhi in chapter 3 but I wounded the improved version in chapter 6 with them. Set as many as I could just outside the room where you fight her, threw the door open then let her and vamps come for me. I wounded her with at least one of the snares and maybe more.

11. Thunder Gems: 7/31

As far as I know she will stop attacking you after 10-15 rounds. Fire magic are AFAIK the only magical attacks that have a good chance of hurting her. She has resistance to the other elements, like immunity to cold, poison and resistance to magic. Protection from undead does NOT work on her and neither does invisibility, making this a very hard fight. MoD and sunray and most other undead specific stuff is mostly wasted on her, since she is immune to most of them. My advise at your level would be to haste your character and run circles in the area until she's done playing with you.

12. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

I've beaten improved Bodhi on insane while soloing, but not without HLAs. Traps will hurt her -- HLA spike traps, that is. Another thing that will help you is cold resistance (she uses a blue fire shield). Get to 127 on that, and you will be healed when you hit her in melee. Or you can just go with protection from magic for yourself. You can also use a buffed Aerie as a melee decoy (mirror images, stoneskin, etc.). Make sure Aerie drinks a potion of fortitude so that when she dies she won't get chunked. A simulacrum can also come in handy (use Vhailor's Helm for that) -- that'll slow her down for a round or two.

Whatever you do, you have to be fast. Use improved haste, if possible, especially in conjunction with the HLA assassinate, if you are high enough level. As much as possible, you want to avoid melee. She'll kill you if you toe the line. But with a small party early in the game, you'll be hard pressed to do much damage to her with missiles. Have you tried lowering her resistance before damaging spells?

How high is your level? Maybe you need to do a lot more quests before you try to kill her. Or you can try cheese: You've got Aerie, and you're a thief. Go steal a bunch of scrolls and have Aerie memorize them. That will help you level up. Do the slavers quest and then you can steal unlimited prismatic spray scrolls from the Copper Coronet. Aerie erases and rememorizes until you have a bunch of traps. Lame? Perhaps, but the tactics mod is not exactly "balanced."

As far as running away goes, that is probably the smartest thing to do, from a role-playing perspective. It may seem lame, but it makes sense. When she leaves, she says something like, "Well, I've seen what I needed to see." In other words, now she knows you're a wimpy coward, and she's content to ignore you. Frankly, that Bodhi would ever really kill you before you get to Spellhold makes no sense according to the storyline, so the improved Bodhi mod is really just for the thrill of the fight, not the role-playing.

13. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I beat improved bodhi on insane with my shapeshifter druid and my party

Run into the room and she gives her rant, poison the blood(not sure what that does, but I think it helps). Then close the door, have a lot of summons in the hallway, because she'll dimension door right up to you, and you need to use them to distract her. I used more beefy summons like elementals and I think I used mordenkainen's swords too. Keep you mage throwing flame arrows at her. The fight will go pretty well until she used her stupid cloud of bats ability. Just try to survive. I don't think it can be dispelled. After it went away, I used greater restoration and finished her off. This strategy will fail if you have solaufein installed. The two of them in a hallway is death.

Hope I could help.

14. david w Gems: 19/31

Didn't he mean the improved Bodhi in chapter 3, not the one in chapter 6? In which case, there won't be any blood to poison because that's for later in the game.

Poisoning the blood knocks either 20 or 30 HPs from Bodhi's total.

15. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Oh, Sorry about that.

The key in the fight with improved Bodhi in chapter 3 is to stay alive for 10 rounds. That means you can be cheap and buff up and have a lot of summons and stuff to take the blows. I don't think you even have to worry about hurting her, the key is to waste time. Improved Kitthix can come in handy ;)

16. Djieff Gems: 7/31

Thanks everyone! I had never made it this far with Tactics installed before, so the advice was much needed and appreciated. I used the running-in-circles approach and it worked fine.
    I didn't think so before the fight, but after having read her "victory" speech, I completely agree with you, Bombur. It's easy to imagine the scene: cocky <charname> has just mowed through a bunch of vampires, tries to attack Bohdi confidently and then... "oh ****, let me outta here!" As you said, it makes sense, especially for a level 11/13 fighter-thief.

Thanks again y'all!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.