1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hey buddy, wanna buy a Mage's robe?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by lokibeat, Dec 4, 2006.

1. lokibeat Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

What is with all the darn robes? I feel like a travelling suit salesman unable to really figure out what robe I want to use. Charname is a wild mage and I've dualled Imoen. We both have five robes each, a knave's, traveller, electricy, cold and fire. One of them has an Adventurer's robe too.

I was carrying them all around as I figured they'd be useful depending on the scenario, e.g.in the firewine dungeon, but I had such poor locate/disable traps, I ended up just buffing Coran and letting him walk through everything.

THe best robe (Davaorn) I've come across, I can't use because I'm Chaotic Neutral. Is it worth biting the bullet and buying the Good magi robe for Immy and the Neutral one for me? Or should I keep 5 inventory slots tied up for the wardrobe changes.

Is there a bag of holding available in BG1? I seem to remember one in BG2 and there is one mentioned in one of the letters, but I don't remember using it.

[ December 04, 2006, 11:32: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

There is a mod for Easytutu (whichyou must have to be playing wih a wildmage) that puts all of the containers including the bag of holding into the game. And yes, it is worth buying both of those robes as money should not be an issue. Just rest for a while in the lighthouse map and stock up on arrows of biting. They sell for quite a bit. Even if you dont feel like doing that, there still should be enough useless magical items around to sell if you have done most of the quests.

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Buy the robes. They're the best you're going to find and you should have the cash for them (especially if you've got a high rep and a high charisma speaker).

There's no bag of holding in BG, unless it's through a mod.

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Knaves robes are nice, slashing dmg is common and a bonus to save vs death is very welcome as mages suck at it. Elemental robes are useful only when you know you are going to face that kind of threat, ofcourse.

5. Anjo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Robes aren't as important to mages as armors are to other classes IMHO. Buffing and staying away from melee/front is enough for me.

I always forgot change robes for some reason, in my last game my mage ended game in lousy fire resistance robe.

6. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Agreement with kuemper and Silverstar here. Knave's Robes are nice and Elemental Robes are sometimes useful, but you should get Archmagi Robes if at all possible.

7. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

The archmagi robes are totally overpowered but the others are nearly useless. Sell them and buy the archmagi robes.

8. ister Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Lightning Bolts are so nasty that I like to keep the robe of electrical resistance and wear it with the boots of grounding (70% resistance) whenever I'm fighting a mage who might just shoot one off.

Otherwise ditch all the robes for the archmage robe.

9. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

the only decent armour for the mage particularly if you need the bracer/gauntlets slot for something and it's got only a little magic resistance that affects even your beneficial spells. Yeah so way overpowered.

next thieves having backstabbing multipliers are going to be too much.

10. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    The percieved prblem with archmagi Robes is that they are superior to all other ones in the game. There isn't really even a choice of whether you'd prefer your old ones.

11. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I actually never found a use for the Robe of the Archimagi. Sure, it gives you a small AC boost and some Magic Resistance, but I think the elemental resistance ones do a better job keeping you alive for the reasons ister pointed out.

12. Morthond Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Media:
    I just finished the Cloakwood Mines (my char is CN too, but F/T) and yeah - just sold about 15 robes, my inventory was full on all 6 characters. I splashed out on Robe of the Neutral Archmagi for Xan (Fighter/Enchanter!) and gave Imoen some Bracers AC6 and still have quite a lot of money for Baldur's Gate City, which I am just outside :) (anyone else get that exciting feeling?)

13. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

Any particular reason this is in BG2:ToB section?

but to the subject I believe that the Archmagi Robes are well worth it. I believe they are only like 20k with high rep and charisma, which if you don't have a high Charisma character just cast friends...

14. OTG Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Charname is a wildmage, therefore must be TuTu, therefore has to go in this forum /police-mode

15. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

ahh ok...was just asking because He was talking about BG1 :( sorry if I sounded like an ass.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.