1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Multi-classed messed up hitpoints

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I have noticed something occuring that may be a bug in my game, but I'm not sure. I notice that when I create a multi-classed character in BGI, play through the game, and then import him into BGII, the character has way more hitpoints than he possibly could have given his level and classes.

For example, my half-elf cleric/mage had 42 hitpoints at the end of BGI (with the maximum XP's of 80,500 for each class), but when I transferred him into BGII, even though he still had 80,500 XP's in each class, his hitpoint total was all the way up to 78. A similar thing happened with a elven fighter-thief I played a while back. He transferred into BGII with 165 hitpoints. I don't remember how much he had in BGI, but it was definitely under 100.

It's not that the game is giving you the maximum possible hitpoints for your character either. In both of the above listed cases, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get that many hitpoints at that level. It almost seems like the game is giving you hitpoints for both of the classes, without dividing by two. So, in effect, you get twice the number of points you should have. The only way I can determine this for sure is if I made a multi-classed character with three classes, and then played through to see if my hitpoints were the total of all three classes without dividing by three. I've never done that though, so I wouldn't know.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is my game screwed up? It has only been recently that I have got into the habit of playing through BGI again and then importing into BGII. It is possible that my game was always set up this way, but because I usually start a new character up in BGII, I wouldn't have noticed.

Sorry if there was a previous thread for this. It seems like I CAN'T be the first person to realize this, so I really thought there would be an existing thread. Maybe I missed the keyword in my serach, but I couldn't find anything on this topic.

[ July 03, 2003, 16:21: Message edited by: Aldeth the Foppish Idiot ]

2. Arutha Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hum... looks like a bug indeed.
    Sorry, can't help you there since I've never imported a char from BG1 to BG2, let alone a multi-classed char.

If you want to test your theory with a tri-classed char, maybe you could simply edit a BG1 char with a char editor to give him three classes and import it to see what happens.
    Would be a lot faster than play through the game. ;)

I seem to recall another bug with BG2, this one concerning every char, not only multi-classed: you get one extra level's worth of hps at the start.

3. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I noticed a similar bug when importing my straight Fighter. If I import with the difficulty set on Core, I get more HPs than on Normal difficulty. I thought this was odd and I repeated it more than once. Every time, Core gave me more HPs. Lower than Normal and higher than Core gave me the same results. I recall that it was about one level worth of HPs. Weird :confused: .

4. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

That is because Core rules makes you roll the D8 (priests) or D10 (fighters, monks and barbs) or D6 (rogue classes) or D4 (mages) per level for HP. Normal always gives you the highest possible roll.

eg. on Normal rules you make a fighter. He starts at level 7, and, given he has a Con of 6-14, he will have 70 HP.

on Core, it will give you random number from 7 to 70, given Con 6-14.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @ cor

Yes, I understand the way hitpoints work, and your explanation is correct. However, do the math. It is simply NOT POSSIBLE to have a cleric/mage with a Constitution of 12 have 78 hitpoints when he is imported into BGII from BGI.

He is level 7/7 at that point. By the rules, his hitpoints should be mage: 1-4 per level divided by two, cleric: 1-8 per level divided by two. So, at level 7/7, his maximum hitpoints are (4X7)/2 + (8X7)/2 = 14 + 28 = 42 hitpoints. Even if his constitution were higher, he still couldn't get 78.

6. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

corbulo87, I understand what you're saying. What I'm saying is that I consistently get the opposite result. More HPs on Core than Normal. I'm sure of this.

Aldeth, boy is that weird! That's almost double what you're supposed to get. And a fighter/thief with 165 hitpoints?! A half-orc barb can only start with 119=(12+5)*7. You could weaken them with SK if you want to be fair.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.