1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Perfect or good enough?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Sir Rechet, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

[​IMG] More than just trying to classify people to powergamers and role-players, how do you see the things you do in BG2?

Is 'good enough' good enough for you, or does it have to be 'perfect' before you are content with what you do? And if you're somewhere there in between, how much perfectedness you require?

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    When it comes to gaming, I'm unfortunately a perfectionist. I can't let myself invest the time in a game without being completely satisfied with the character or party I've created. If I come to a point in the game where I think a weakness I've overlooked is effecting my success, then I get tempted to start over, and feel I've wasted my time. I also try to play perfectly; killing every possible enemy, exploring every nook and cranny and collecting every possible item I can find.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmm, tough to answer.

I'm not a perfectionist per se; rather, I need to be happy with my character and party. And being "happy" really depends on what I am looking for at the time, be it an uber party, versatile party, theme party, whatever.

I'll roll for stats, but not for very long. I'll do the quests that I'm interested in, rather than doing everything (but first time through, I'll do everything).

So basically, I fall more into the "good enough" category.

4. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

I'm a perfectionist to no obvious limits.

Honestly, I started over BG2 just because I missed Korgan's quest by accidentally insulting him and not learning he had a quest worth exp until I had pretty much played through the whole chapter 2. (And thus, no save game to fall back on.)

Right now I'm seriously considering a restart since I'm anything but pleased to have Imoen at level 11 together with my level 15+ party. I took off for Spellhold only after finishing every single side quest in chapter 2.

Sometimes I wish I could give myself some slack..

5. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Dont worry bout the Imoen thing, she is useless anyway ;)

I usually like to play the game with certain NPCs, so usually am a perfectionest when it comes to my main character. IE continually rolling stats and such. I usually only play the really powerful characters solo though.

6. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I put myself in the perfectionist category. I plan my party before starting, I do all the quests (although the order doesn't matter), I collect as much as I can in experience, items and - get this - gold. When it's convenient, I'll take junk (like a goblin's bow or long sword) and sell it.

For rolling stats, I settle for good enough though. Just max out what is needed and move on.

7. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well...I'm a perfectionist as well...only, I don't play with a party. I did...the first two or three times through the game, but then, I just started soloing it, and I've made it an obsession to do it with every single class/kit in the game. AND I'm getting there...so yeah, I'm a perfectionist. Everything's gotta be jusssst right! :cool:

8. Winterine Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I'm basically a perfectionist. I don't allow anyone to die, I do all the quests available to me, I get all the experience and loot I can, and the best possible stats I can. It *does* get quite frustrating rolling for a LONG time trying to get good starting stats.

9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I have to complete every single quest, and if there are many ways to complete one there's usually only one that I will find satisfying.

I always pick up and sell EVERY SINGLE ITEM looted from dead enemies. It doesn't matter how much money I have - I can't move on if there's still an unpicked item on the ground. This has always been a problem in Chateau Irenicus, since there's not enough space in your inventory for all the axes you find on goblins :)

So I guess I do apply as a perfectionist!

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Well, compared to most people here i seem to fall in the good enough category. I roll until I have decent stats but I don't hold out for great stats.

I do try to do all of the available quests and I will reload if I accidently mess one up but only if I have a recent saved game that will fix the problem. I wont bring characters into my party just to complete their quests with the exception of Valygar.

I don't try to haul off and sell everything that isn't nailed down. If a character dies in combat I will normally just resurrect him/her whenever possible. If I have a character imprisoned or turned to stone I will usually reload.

11. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Being a packrat does not make one a perfectionist, does it?
    I dont let anyone die though. If anyone dies, I reload.
    :shake: Except once when Edwin was charmed in the middle of a fight. I turn around and he got diced by Korgan. :shake:

12. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I'm not a perfectionist at all. I tend to make characters on a whim, picking whichever race and class I'm in the mood for at the time. I'll reroll for high stats about ten times at most before getting bored and selecting the first roll above 80. I don't plan my party at all, but I do only take NPCs that I like, so there's usually Nalia and Korgan, and almost never includes Edwin or Jaheira. I do quests as it occurs to me to do them.

So no order in my gaming at all. :)

13. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    @Shrikant: Are you saying I'm a ratpack? :mad:
    (Ok ok, so I am... sigh)
    Hm. How about a perfectionist in ratpacking?

EDIT: @Jhonka: Actually I meant ratpack because that's how I read it :o
    I always invert letters, but that's the first time I invert entire words...

[ September 26, 2004, 10:41: Message edited by: Ziad ]

14. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

@Ziad: I think you mean "pack rat" and "pack ratting" ;)

I wouldn't call myself a perfectionist as far as stats go, partly because I'm not patient enough to roll for more than 15 minutes. However, I feel like I haven't finished the game if I haven't done every quest available by the time I go to Suldanesselar.

So I guess I'd be somewhere in between "perfectionist" and "good enough, let's go". :)

15. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I suppose I'm a 'good enough' bloke. I roll for stats, but average stats are ok so long as I have the most important for my class up to 18. I don't bother picking everything up, unless I know I can use it or can sell if for serious coinage. I usually decide before the game what my party is gonna be, then stick by it regardless of any weaknesses I find sometime in the game.

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

i fall in this category ;)

17. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I'm no perfectionist. I'm more a collector. When in game I have to find almost every piece of collectable items and stash them in my own little marketplace.

18. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Well, I'm an experience hoarder and like my PC to be fairly uber, so I suppose I fall into the former category. i think it's appropriate in this game, however: the main character is, after all, a demi-god and as such it makes sense for he/she to preforate as much arse as possilble. Beyond that, I play the game pretty naturally. I pick characters that I like or want to try out rather than just the ones I know are the most powerful. I try to make each pc I create fight differently to the last and work differently within the party. So, I guess you couldnt call my playing style perfectionist as such, but my standards are pretty high :) .

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.