1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Your GP or your HP...

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Jaguar, May 20, 2004.

1. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

There are lots of them in the games, form BG1 to SoA, and maybe ToB, but not quite sure. They are the ruffians (or dragons) who give you the choice of your gp or your hp.

What I am wondering is whether anybody actually gives up their cash in order to avoid a fight?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 60 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Your GP or your HP... (60 votes.)

Your GP or your HP... (Choose 1)
    * Yes, I value my life more then my gold - 3% (2)
    * Sometimes, if they out number me - 10% (6)
    * Never, fight to the death! - 87% (52)

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I'm not inherantly greedy but i'll butcher anybody who even suggests taking my hard earned gold. If they want gold so bad, they can crawl about some stinky dungeon.

3. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

In baldur's Gate 1 I accidentily gave up my money one time and the guy didn't even thank me for his 40000 gp. From that point on it was HP all the way.

4. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Everyone will always fight first, if it doesn"t work out I give items. But you definately fight first, you got nothing to lose. (quicksafe)

5. Golden Avenger Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Anyone who gives up his gold must be ready for retirement

6. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

I don't remember it ever being an issue. I've never been threatened by anything I couldn't kill with relative ease. When they say, "You're money or your life," the reality is that it's my money or their life. I always pick their life. :evil:

7. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

You know, it's too bad that the majority of encounters in these games only end in combat. From time to time you get the option to bribe them off, but other than that (and fleeing... but they are still there), you don't have much choice. This is why I think the quests in these games are so cool... with various ways to complete them, they don't always end in bloodshed like your typical encounter.

I don't pay them off because they always take ALL of your money. This is a bit extreme, even if I don't plan on using the money. If they asked for a tithe, then perhaps I'll give it to them if I'm too weak or lazy to fight. Too bad you can't stash money somewhere...

As for the dragon, you COULD cheap him out by dropping all your equipment on the group before talking to him. Afterall, he only strips you of the items in your inventory.

8. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Whatever excuse there is to start a fight and cast spells, I will be happy to use it. :D Someone wants my gold - they get fried.

9. KyletheSpeedDemon Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Its the principle of it all. Screw them for thinking they can bully me and take my gold, I'm kicking their ass!

10. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

Okay, I'm starting to think I'm brain-dead. What dragon gives you the choice of your money or your life?

11. Algarion Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The dragon that protects Jonny Boys treasure in the elven city... I will never learn how to spell that name.

Once in Baldurs Gate I accidently gave up all my money but as the bandit where walking away i took him down with some well aimed arrows in his back. And guess what, I found 24.321 gp on him. Hurray for me :D

12. Shadow Steele

Shadow Steele Still hiding in the shadows all night

[​IMG] Accidentaly gave up the money once to a bunch of punk thieves. I hated that. :flaming: Now they all bleed. :good:

13. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

"My money or their life." Well put, and I agree; their life.

Putting a group of idiot bandits in their place has a special place in my heart... :rolleyes:

14. Winterine Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Well said :D

15. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The only problem with dropping everything and buying off the dragon in Suldanesselar is that if you've got Minsc in the party, you lose Boo... and as we all know, Minsc is nothing without Boo. This happened to a friend while she was playing SoA, which was funny as hell, because by that stage you should whack the dragon fairly easily.

But for the general question: they only get the GP if it's going to be Jaheira's HP, and even then, I'm taking it back off their corpses when I get done killing them (and having Jaheira yell at me for putting myself in danger).

16. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Noone can be so powerfull as to make me give up something that i have gained through hardship and pain. They can pay for it with their HP which will be translated into XP for me WOHO :) :)

17. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Well, i kill all the bandits and thugs who are trying to rob me, because they sometimes have good items, and i am not a wimp.

18. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Heck, if they want a fight, they've got it! I just hope the muggers were counting on three high level mages casting: Chain Lightning, Wail of the Banshee, Meteor Swarm, ect. :evil:

I didn't back down when Jaheria got a dagger to her neck, and I wouldn't back down if my party was out numbered four to one. :eek: If I do die I can always reload and be ready for the ambush the second time. :rolling:

19. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

It really depends. If they ask for a small amount, like 100 gold or such, I'll give it to them. I'm a nice person, and I'm content in the knowledge that I can wipe the floor with them. I don't have to prove it. If they ask for *all* my gold, however... that's a different matter.

I don't spare these people through any form of cowardice or weakness. I just tend to play good characters, who don't want to see people who potentially have families being killed just out of greed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.