1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Powergaming NPCs

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Shrikant, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

[​IMG] We may like the NPCs or we may hate them. But I think that we can agree you never get an optimum party with them. If it weren't for the intra-party banters, most of us would start off creating 6 charecters in a multi-player game. The braver ones go SOLO.
    I want to know how you would have made the NPC to get the best out of them. I will start off with 3.

KELDRON (LG-Human)
    Class: Paladin (Undead Hunter)
    Stats: 17- 9-17-12-16-18 (They aren't that bad.)
    Profs: Crossbow++, Two-Handed Sword++, Bastard Sword++, (LongSword+@L9) (LongSword++@L12)

Jaheira (TN-Human)
    Class: Fighter (Wizard Slayer)
    Stats: 15-17-17-10-17-17 (To Dual to Druid)
    Profs: Sling++, Scimitar++, Club++, (Sword & Sheild Style+@L9), (Sword & Sheild Style++@L12)

Minsc (CG-Human)
    Class: Ranger (Pure Class)
    Stats: 18/93-16-16- 8-17- 9 (To Dual to Cleric)
    Profs: Mace++, Hammer++, Sling++, Two Weapon Style++, (Flail+@L9), (Flial++@L12)

How would you make the NPCs more useful?

2. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Minsc as a Cleric... :hmm:

Serving the chaotic good space hamster gods! :D

I wonder what special spells/skills they would grant him besides that hamster rage of his.
    :p

3. Marvin^42 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Best eh? Give them at least 25 in all stats and install some weird (probably non-existing) mod which would let you multiclass them with 10+ classes, give them unlimited inate (Correct word? Special Abilities anyway) Time Stop per day, mod some +[unlimited] weapons and armor for them and get an xp-cap remover (or just make each level "cost" 1xp). Could do a lot more too, "Best" is impossible to achieve :p

I know you probably didn't want this.

Well, IMO, powergaming is not the most important part of this game. Diablo is a great powergaming game, and even better if you play multiplayer mode. (Just 'cause it's not BG doesn't mean it sucks)

I'm not sure if I pissed you off now, but I didn't intend to. Sorry?

4. Shrikant

:lol: rotflmao :hippy:

Hope you mean the original game man. Diablo 2 stank like cat piss.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Keldorn would become more powerful if everyone learned to spell his name properly.

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Keldorn as undead hunter? Sadly I find the Inquisitor class the most powerful Paladin class, the ability to suddenly shut down almost any wizard's defences or negative ailment spells and instantly counter invisibility have saved my ass more times than I care to count.

I'd remake Edwin as a sorcerer, Sarevok as a Beserker and Viccy as a Fighter/Cleric (and boost her STR some way) for my evil parties.

The 'real' powergaming I would like to see would be being able to combine any class and any kit in multiclass combinations (such as a Kensai/Assasin or a Beserker/Sorcerer/Cleric of <god>).

7. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Jaheira could be a Cleric/Ranger and still be in the same spirit of character.

Why would you change Keldorn's proficiencies, and not put ** into two handed weapon style?

Valygar would be a cool archer too.

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, this probably isn't the answer you were looking for, but I regularly use SK to change the class of NPC's (and give them reasonable stats to go with the new class).

I once made Jan a Jester - I imagined him turning his stupid stories into songs, and driving the enemies crazy! :D

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Splunge: Hey, I've done that too! :D

And as far as NPCs go...any self respecting son-of-a-god would laugh in the face of any enemies, and kill them all, by himself! :evil: He don't need no NPCS!

10. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I did that too ;)

Actually that's funny, I always thought of Valygar as a Wizard Slayer...

@Shrikant: nice ideas although I wouldn't change their stats, they are already quite high. I can't imagine Jaheira as a Wizard Slayer (nor a Berserker)... Klorox's idea about Jaheira becoming a Cleric/Ranger is great!!! We would only need to tamper a bit with her stats. I must give it a try. :)

11. San Ti Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

just because we hate most of the NPC's we just do the following: SOLO it!!!

12. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Nalia - better thief skills of course

Jan as a Jester is a great idea (will have to try that later)

Valygar - with ++ in long sword, mace and bow's and knives. I am not a fan of katana's, especially with Yoshimo in my party.

Viconia needs a higher strength

Aerie with greater wisdom

13. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Anomen with enough WIS that he could actually have dual-classed by 2E rules. And a mute button.

14. Ravynn Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

First I'd get lvl1npc's mod ;) .

I'd make Imoen a straight mage or a cleric mage, possibly a fighter thief.

Jaheira- straight druid or cleric or cleric ranger.

15. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    Sensical: Give Haer Dalis Nahal's Reckless Dweomer.
    Whimsical: Give everyone Rapture of the Father as an innate ability

16. Shrikant

Jaheira: I didnt make her R/C (which was my first choice) due to all her balance talk. No ranger would complain about doing too much good :heh:

I just started a new game with Minsc. Got him out of his cage then raised his Wis and changed his profs to Club++, Flail++ & Mace++. Dualed him to Cleric right there. He reactivated his ranger part right after the circus tent (Jaheira & Yoshi took a walk). Now he actually is a capable spell caster. Im gonna love taking on that dwarf in the sewers.

Jan as Jester :lol: Love it, fits like a tee.

17. Ravynn Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Immy- sorcerer (eress?) Better stats all around, esp. strength, con and charisma. OOOH, or a monk.

Jaheira- straight druid, or more probably a ranger cleric with better wisdom, con, strength **+ in two weapon fighting and *+ in maces and long swords. There is a mod that lets all classes have universal weapons. Didn't work for me the first time, but I will try again.

Minsc- Inquisitor with high wis and charisma and dex.

Viconia- cleric/mage

FMT CHARNAME

And some random NPC, to be used as a blade perhaps. Not HD, he sucks.

18. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yoshimo as a dualled kensai/thief! Not this bounty hunter who can't set traps worth their own salt!

Minsc as a berserker fighter with two weapon style mastery and flails, maces and axes in his prof slots!

Jaheira a avenger druid dualled to fighter at level 12

Arie just better stats, most important of all raise her CON to 16!

Cernd with the reballancing mod is powerfull enough after reaching level 13 so no change. I mean take greater werewolf form whenever you want as often as you want???? balanced?

Keldorn: straight 18's in the first three scores. And swap the crossbows pips with a melee weapon. Who ever shoots a crossbow now? Really!

Jan Jansen: thief/necromancer and more inventions that are usefull. A free confusion spell as an inate ability! He talks his opponents into pure chaos!

Nalia: Swashbuckler dualled to mage at level 9.

Imoen: Pure thief or dualled at level 13 to mage with most points in F/R traps and lockpicking.

Viciona: greater STR

Edwin: improve him? With that medaillion???

Korgan: Why?

Hear'dalis: just leave him out all together, never liked him, never will.

Mazzy: Higher strength. Call holy might as inate ability.

Anomen: Higher WIS, mastery in warhammer or flails. Dualled from berserker to cleric at level 9.

Valygar: fighter dualled from thief at level 6 or 7, to max out stealth.

19. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    HD sucks? There's isn't a PC blade who can outdo him. Enlighten me how this could possibly be so.
    In any case he's overpowered by himself that he doesn't need to be edited. Nahal's Reckless Dweomer would overpower him more, if you believe there's distinction between "overpowered" and "more overpowered" in unmodded ToB .
    If only a NRD scroll existed in the game...

20. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I would say Sarevok doesn't need much in the way of improvement either. He has no spellcasting abilities, though, which might be a disadvantage. With his Intelligence score, you could make him a dual-class wizard, but it hardly seems worth it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.