1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Anyone ideas for a new game?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Ancient Galatan, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Monks are a great choice for a solo game! Thier special abilities are so awsome once they have a little time to develop; and when paird with the Gauntlets of Crushing, the monk is unstopable! :thumb: :rolling:

2. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

@ ekarderif: You sure you don't get WW attack with monks? They use the fighter HLAs, so they should get it.
    @ faraaz: it's a matter of choice whether you like monks or not, but I can't agree they're that bad.
    - thac0 is a weak spot, sure. Actually, the natural one is similar to that of warriors, only monks don't get the bonus a warrior would have from an enchanted weapon; the gauntlets make up for that-eventually, sure. A girdle of extra strength is a must, imo. Besides, with clerical level progression, they should level up more quickly, which helps a bit. Being stuck with weapons with no more than +3 enchantment bothered me much more, actually... do fists become +4/+5 eventually, btw?
    - In terms of hit points and armor class, they are likely to be on par with fighter-thieves. For me, like them, monks should not have to tank anyway. But, like fighter-thieves, monks can go stealth and do a lot of damage quickly. BTW, a monk with higher constitution will have approximately the same number of hit points as Minsc or Anomen. They're not that fragile.
    - Damage: a 9th level monk dishes out 1d12 damage, and by level 16 I think it gets 1d20. Add the strength mod and any extra bonus in there. Heck, if you could get the "extra" damage they were given after lvl 20 in IWD 2, they could become simply peerless.
    - No haste: well, by lvl 12, you have it "inherent". 3 attacks per round and extra-fast move, wasn't it? If that were haste-able, it would be a bit imbalanced, not to mention they'd cover distance like lightning.

3. Ekarderif Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I didn't think they did...

In any case, the monks awesome advantages are outweighed by the ludicrous items you can obtain in Throne of Bhaal. They were good in Baldur's Gate II, but their dominance is over. Now Kensais, Sorcerers, and multiclasses are Gods.

4. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well...my Berserker when fully decked out gets an AC of -16. And he gets 10 attacks when dual-weilding Celestial Fury with Belm +2, while improved hasted...that too for upto a full minute once Edwin gets a few levels into him.

No monk can outlast that.

5. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

to me monks are average in bg2. any solo char will rule soon, nothing to do with monks themselves.

especially the must-be-human thing is annoying and makes the bg2 monk much worse than the iwd2. i just miss gnomish or even dwarven monks for their ST boni. plus you cant only look at the lvl table for clerics compaired with warriors. take a look at the ST progression for both classes.

now compair a singleclass dwarven berserker with a singleclass human monk...

fighters are supreme, no doubt about it but that doesnt mean i look down on monks.

edit: my suggestion for a truely new game would be the big picture + several weidu mods like IU or EoU.
    a much smaller but also interesting version of the game would be TDDSinTDD + ease-of-use + item-upgrade + unfinished business + banterpacks. yes, you would like it :)

6. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Well, i'm going too use The Bicture Picture with TDD, SOS, Tortured Souls and Redemption.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.