1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to enjoy Bg2

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by angryguy, May 22, 2005.

1. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Now I know lots of you here have played this game countless times. I have played about 5 times through, and yes it is the best game of all time. But how do you make it fun every single time? For me, these helped

Don't cheat
    Don't pickpocket/steal
    Insane Difficulty
    DUNGEON BE GONE
    Mods like ease of use/g3 tweaks

also, what parties or main characters do you find most fun?

2. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Shadowkeeper is how I keep this game enjoyable. Turning Imoen in to a pure thief, changin npc´s weapon profencies and things like that.

Mods also help.

What!? That's what I like the most! :)
    I don't have any favourite party but my favourite main character is an evil elf fighter/thief. Because it's so fun to backstab liches.

3. Ravynn Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

The Saerileth mod and Tactics keep me coming back. That and the fact that I have NEVER finished a game.

4. Koki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Solo :D

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] No cheats, insane difficulty, using the player journal, very few minor mods which don't change the game 'too' much (Mostly those that add to what is already there) and...

:rolling: Roleplaying all the way :xx: :rolling:

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

[​IMG] Finish the game with your HIGH level char, get a good and safe XP cap disabler, install TACTICS mode and restart the game with that high lvl PC and play in INSANE DIFFICULTY, you will have SO MUCH fun you will never quit the game!!!

Just wait to see improved bosses (COOLER, STRONGER, SMARTER, DEADLIER, MORE FUN!)and those CROWDED dungeons, you will see just how good your GODLY PC is. Take NPC and levelup them via console so they can keep up with you in power, and you will have FUN! YAY! PERFECT! INCREDIBLE!

I LOVE THIS GAME when 2 liches release tons of Abi Dalzim's on us via chaincontingencie (it KILLS in insane) :( OR when I saw the improved BODHI (SHE HAS cool abilities that suits her very well, and makes her a WORTHY and FEARED opponent actually)I was VERY terrified (7 reloads! TOUGH!) :eek:

Can't wait to see other bosses improved versions, this is the real fun! Definitely try it if you think you can!!! ;)

EDIT: BTW RP a lot! It is funn! FUNN! FUN! :D

7. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Instead of a full party or going solo go for 2-4 characters. A mixture of your own characters and NPC's. Oh, and roleplay! Don't go for perfect stats, take the firs or one of the first rolls.

8. angryguy Gems: 7/31

The reason I say don't pickpocket is that, should you ever fail, you have to
    A) kill everyone
    B) reload

neither of which is particularly fulfilling.
    Tactics i didnt really like, because the enemies are harder thanks to cheating (instacast infinite spells etc) rather than being tough/intelligent.

9. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

For me, these things work:

1) Plain/Vanilla install with the latest patch.
    2) One or two good dialogue mods (like Kelsey/CR/LR/Edwin/ImoenR)
    3) Planning ahead what my party would be and what their equipment would be
    4) No Tactics/insane/cheats, just playing and enjoying the game

10. The Irreligious Paladin Gems: 7/31

Do it different everytime. I'm going through with my chaotic neutral blade now (I know Haer'Dalis is the same, but I want to be a famous adventuring warrior actor, dammit.) I've gone through with a Lawful Good Cavalier. I've got parties in the wings for Evil characters, monks, rangers, thiefs, sorcerors. Everytime is different. I try not to cheat, but I will use my character's abilities; like my bard's pickpocketing. It's just a skill my character posseses, and I will use it to further the RPing experience, if I fail then I either can't ever come back to that place or I'll reload and not do it.

11. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I agree with doing something different everytime. Each time, try a new stronghold, romance or NPC. I'm not much of a role-player, but reading NPC dialogues is interesting. And don't try to do every quest every time, it just makes it boring.

Or try a theme. I took a cavalier with 100% fire resistance (legit) equipped Harbinger for the whole game (cheated to get it early). Add lots of fireball chucking mages and you've got a fun party to toast baddies with!

12. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I find it fun to do all possible quests. :D

13. Misantrophe Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

after a few runs strict role playing becomes really fun. i mean you dont try to get the most out of everything instead you go "strive to maintain balance" or such

14. max14 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I rather think doing double damage (insane) is more cheating than cast a spell ?

Except Irenicus, I think no one in the mods have infinite spells. They may appear to have infinite spells because they have many scrolls or even a "book of infinte spells" you can certainly have both yourself.

I think extremely few will force cast spells. Do a creeping doom on them and see how many can still cast normally. I don't think very many. They may just as well go improved alacrity + robe of veca etc

They DO get tougher and smarter. That's for sure.
    In a mod someone actually cast project image + spell immunity: divination which = infinite spells. And they will go time stop, whack whack.
    one time I had valen in my party (valen is an undead) they actually went time stop, then sunray . I was shocked at that intelligence.
    etc etc
    I think they are definitely smarter.

15. angryguy Gems: 7/31

==I rather think doing double damage (insane) is more cheating than cast a spell ?==

Not really, when you look at the amount of damage the PC's can dish out, and the number of hp's you can reach. I suppose it is better for mage groups though- double damage is still nothing when you use stoneskin/protection from x.
    And they don't just 'cast a spell'. Insta cast/improved alacrity is done using a script, not the rules of the game. To be fair though, I tend to be an honest player, and so i never use mislead, project image , since they are just abused.

The Valen thing- if that's the fight i think it is, the enemies are specifically after valen, so are of course scripted to use anti undead spells, be protected from undead etc.

16. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I don't think any of the vampire hunters are mages, though. I think they're three Undead Hunters and a Cleric / Ranger.

17. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Solo is THE only way to go.

It is unbelievable how much the game changes in perspective when you are the ONLY character in the game, with no one else to rely on.

Enemy mage? Forget Breach if you're not a mage type. You'd have to make do with Dispel Magic, or Silence if you were a Cleric, or a quick backstab if you are a thief, or drinking a LOT of potions if you're a fighter.

If you want this game to be VERY fun...solo with a single classed character. No dual-classing, no multiclassing. At ALL! :D

Try a solo with an Archer for starters. Or maybe a Blade. Awesome fun.

I tried this two years ago, and I've never played a party game again. I've tried...many times. But its NEVER even CLOSE to how much fun solo is.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.