1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favourite Spell!

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Fly2tHeSkY, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Love to have my Avenger cast several Call Lightning in a row. Tremendous damage at higher levels, plus he stands in the middle of destruction, observing death coming down all around him. A neat scenery.
    Woe to the git who fails to make a successful save. :p
    Within this havoc let there be a well-aimed Lightning Bolt now and then - et voila.

For arcane spells I like Vampiric Touch muchly. The incantation sounds pleasant, and the damage isnt too shabby either. I imagine my Jester to jump a badly injured person and... "Vita"... suck what life is left out. :) :evil:

Also I like Cone of Cold. Ever so handy against enemies standing tight in a spot, like them Cowled Wizards. A chilling welcome is always in store for them, I will say.

2. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

The coolest looking spell I've come across is Imprisonment, unfortunately I have yet to find it anywhere accept in enemy hands. Talk about a game stopper.

Any one know where to find the scroll for it?

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

The only place I can find is in a store in ToB.

4. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Oi, we all know Disintergrate is a damn good spell right, but can you add something into the game so that the enemies equipment doesn't get blasted to sh!t 'cause i absolutely LOVE using it! :D

5. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I use magic missle alot as well because its a good quick spell. Does the amount of damage go up with the mage's level? I think I remember this from my old D&D days(paper drawn dungeons and real dice).

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@Sebastian:
    That's why it's a level 6 spell as opposed to a level 8 spell; don't mess with success. :rolleyes:

@Brallrock:
    After you get your fifth missile at level 9, it tops off. Back in BG1 you could see a difference (1 missile at first level, 2 at third, 3 at fifth, 4 at seventh) but in BG2 it's a pretty static 10-25.

7. Fly2tHeSkY

No, you just get 1 more missle every odd level, up to a total of 5 at 9th level. The damage is 1d4 + 1 i think ... How good is Magic Missile!!!!! :D

8. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I also fall into the magic missle camp. The spell is just so damned useful when dealing with various situations: enemy casters, weak baddies, mirror imaged mages...). Once you get powerful enough you can pack quite a bunch of these puppies as well... oh the memories of giving Edwin the ring of wizardry(? grants twice as many 1st level spells).

Aside from mm, i'm rather fond of lightning bolt. It packs a punch and it actually requires skill to use. Nothing is as satisfying as lining up baddies in a hallway, casting lightning bolt, and watching the bolt rebound off the walls causing a sickening amount of damage. Of course, the skill lies in both hitting the enemy and not being killed by your own rebounding bolt (oh course, for the lazy there is always protection from lightning)

9. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

As a mage Magic missile, Melf's Acid Arrow, Melf's Minute Meteors and Stoneskin.

As a driuid Insect Plague, Call Lightning.

As a Cleric Sunray, Heal.

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I've found that magic missle is the perfect weapon to disrupt another spellcaster. The really nasty spells they're casting at you are usually the ones that take the longest to cast, so a fast cast of MM has saved my party from a headache on many occasions. :rolling:

11. dooms11 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Project Image - no need to waste your own spells

Dragon's Breath - Knockback to give you a breather, huge damage, not resistable.

Finger of death - the animation looks cool and it's fun to kill elite fire giants in 1 hit.

Honorable mention:

Timestop - if anything is left alive after timestop ends, you're not doing it right :D

Edit: All you Magic Missile lovers should Play NwN; there you can get an improved version of magic missiles which is a level 6 spell. The missiles fill almost the entire screen when fired and do heavy magical damage with no save. Cheesy, but fun. ;)

12. Fly2tHeSkY

Yeah I know, Mordekainen's Missiles ... but we just have to settle for the original. But no matter, still one of my favourites!!!

13. Hyperion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Best level 1: Magic Missiles.
    Best level 2: Mirror Image/Melf's Acid Arrow.
    Best level 3: Skull Trap/Melf's Minute Meteors.
    Best level 4: Greater Malison/Stoneskin/Improved Invisibility.
    Best level 5: Breach/Lower Resistance/Animate Dead/Sunfire/Spell Immunity.
    Best level 6: True Sight/Death Spell.
    Best level 7: Summon Hakeishar/Finger of Death/Mordainkenen Sword.
    Best level 8: Abi Dhalzim's Horrid Wilting/Spell Trigger.
    Best level 9: Time Stop/Spellstrike/Shapeshift.

Best of all... Sorry. :bad: Can't pick.

14. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Magic Missile: Great spell, plus, don't you just love seeing those mulitple red balls flash out of your hands a beat the crap out of your enemy? I do.

15. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Mislead, Project Image and Simulacrum (sp?). Often overlooked (did I just make a pun!??) and perhaps the most powerful spells in the game. Great for Bards too. :cool:

16. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Timestop, Summon Deva, True Sight (<--- Is that what it is called? I already forgot and it's only been a week since I last used BG2...), and fireball -poof! :D

17. Blog Gems: 23/31

Oh yeah... I forgot about Call Lightning. It looks cool too, and hits hard for a level 3 druid spell. Too bad you can't use it as much as good old fireballs.

18. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    BURN BABY BURN! I *love* shooting Fireballs and delayed Fireballs at enemy especialy when you're a sorcerer.

I can make people go boom

19. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

I go for the Magic missile, for my mage, call lightning for my druid and sunray for my cleric as the best spells. But sure a fireball comes in handy :)

20. Fly2tHeSkY

This is for anyone out there: What do you think the BEST spell is to cast straight after you've cast timestop, ie. the best combo possible?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.