1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Worst Monsters

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by buzz142010, Apr 26, 2002.

1. buzz142010 Guest

[​IMG] Well...like the subject suggest, let us all know which monsters you hate the most and why...

2. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] Mindflayers! Hate them!

Thay all can go jump into an infinite sea of glass for all I care.

3. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Agree.

4. Buddas Hand Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I agree also. But even more annoying are hordes( and i mean hordes of) CHICKENS. When limited wish goes wrong 5 times in a row.

5. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I actually like the MindFlayers. They provide a nice challenge.

The monsters I really hate are summons from Mages. They're not hard to kill, but they are enough of a pest to ignore. While you're stomping the fodder, the mage is free to blast spells at you.

6. Valer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

If you are mage you can kill Mind Flyers with summoning skeletons (witout brain)
    If you are thief kill them with backstab and trap...
    I think Beholders means bigger problem. What protects from gaze attack? Elecricity, or Shiled of Reflection?

7. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Yeagh I agree! I had more problems with defeating Beholders, than that I had with dragons and demons!

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Actually I find Beholders particularly silly. However, with the appropiate approach they are well manageable without the shield of Balduran or the precious scrolls of magic protection (I found them so pretious I actually found myself never using them ;) ).

I have beat the beholder dungeon in underdark with a cavalier and an archer: Cavalier was wearing the clak of reflection and the dragonslayer sword plus ring of regeneration and ring of gax, the archer had the girdle of inertial barrier, regeneration ion stone, ring of regeneration and the tuigan bow.

Under my archers fire support my fighter1 scripted cavalier meleed the beholder dungeon relatively easy. Due to the girdle of inertial barrier and regeneration the archer didn't take too much damage. Excellent team.

As for the beholders in the unseeing eye quest ... I found the chaos spell very effective on them ;) when you rush in then (haste !!!) and kill them as long as they're confused you can finish them off before the shadows show up.

No need to waste money for the shield of Balduran ;)

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited April 26, 2002).]

9. Trias Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I hate vampires,with their level drain AHHRGH!!!:grr:

10. PowerPuff Guest

I hate Devil Shades. I can't seem to be able to destroy them with 'turn undead', and they always manage to ambush me somehow, level draining one or two characters before I can cast 'negative plane protection'.

11. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Illithids. Reload. Reload. Ah, wait, darn, reload. Reload. Got it! Nope, reload. *groan* Reload. *applies a hammer to 'fix' the cd*

Also monks. "Yipke ki yea" *proceeds to kick your main character's head off, ignoring hp*

12. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Oh god yes DevilShades. They rip anything apart that's not carrying some negative plain protection. That's the exact reason why I like the Amulet of Power. :)

Also very annoying are the greater werewolfs if you're a low level char. They rip through anything :D

13. ivanatora Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Haha mindflayers! Have you heared about Greensotne amulet? My the worst enemy was Melissan and maybe Firkraag.

14. MrSerious Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

mind flayers are sissies as long as you remember two spells...chaotic commands and haste.

Beholders likewise are sissies, as long as you approach them in the manners described in the other posts in this thread.

The ones that really yank my chain are any of the level draining monsters--not because they're hard to kill, but because you have to stop what you're doing and re-memorize any spells that have been lost, and give your cleric a chance to rest if they happen to get the jump on you and get at one of your characters before you have a chance to cast negative plane protection. Really frustrating. The first time I played BG2, I got hit with a vampire who drained my cleric so bad that she couldn't even memorize restoration...arg!

Actually, come to think of it I hate any monster that requires you to have a protective spell cast prior to engaging them--mind flayers, umber hulks, myconids...if it wasn't such a pain to cast all those chaotic commands spells, they wouldn't bother me at all. But beholders are just dumb. Why they put a level in the game that could be beaten by a first level fighter with the proper shield is beyond me--yes I know beholders can cast spells too, but they rarely get one off because they're too busy getting inturrupted by the barrage of beholder rays they're firing off.

15. Rathan Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Hmmm worst monster???
    I'd have to say Elder Orb. In the underdark, if you go to the "beholder-city", then 7/10 times these Elder Orbs will cast imprisonment on you, and at the level you are at this part of the game, you don't have Protection from Magic scrolls...

Another bad-ass monster is The Shade Lord at Watchers Keep, he's a real pain in the ass...

16. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

No Protection from Magic Scrolls when going into the Underdark? That depends just when you go into chapter 4 (iirc) If you do enough of the sidequests in Act2, you can easily gather the amount of money required to buy two scrolls of Protection from Magic.

17. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    Vampires and other level-drainers are horrible. They always manage to drain Anomen first so that I had to spend lots of money in temples. When no temples were near,I was compelled to use a quit drastic method. I killed Anomen and had Jaheira resurrect him. When he's brought back to life, the level drain effect has disappeard.

18. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Wouldn't it just be easier to have Jaheira cast Restoration? (She can cast that right? I mean, being part druid and all)

19. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Chaotic Commands doesn't stop the stun effect from a Mind Blast, just the Domination. That stun effect is bad enough.

Still, I think Beholders are the most annoying opponents. The sheer variety of their attacks makes them a pain.

Vampires and other level draining critters suck and have always done so since the whole bogus idea was introduced in 1st edition PnP. However, all those thingies are Undead, which makes them pretty much crispy critters to any party with decent cleric power: Sunray, False Dawn, and Turn Undead do for them nicely. Any spell caster/fighter combination with the Amulet of Power should be able to screen the rest of the party (ranger/paladin/multiclass type) long enough to vaporize the baddies.

As for the restoration issue if the screening doesn't work, I always have some restoration scrolls on hand just for such nasty situations. They are pretty readily available since nearly all temples sell them. More than worth it since carrying Restoration in memory is a big waste, IMHO.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

[This message has been edited by Vormaerin (edited April 28, 2002).]

20. Lordvan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I agree, the Illithids are horrible! Even if you manage to make your guys immune to their spells, their intelligence draining always kills one of my people (especially Minsc).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.