1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

SoA and then ToB with exp cap removed

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Mistyca, Jul 12, 2001.

1. Mistyca Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'd like to know if i have the exp cap removed for SoA, when i'll reach 3.000.000 points, will i gain the new abilities or not??? I want to start a new game and so i think that if you can only arrive to 2.950.000 it has no sense doing Watcher's Keep in SoA, waisting exp points without gaining new abilities....

2. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Nope, you don't get them. I tried it. It appears that the special abilities only kick in when you actually go to the Throne of Bhaal option ( when the SoA & ToB screen comes up) and proceed from there.

I don't want to mislead you when I mentioned the special abilities "kick in". They are not retroactive. I tried & tested this with a 25th level Monk character import from SoA to Tob, Save Game Import from SoA to ToB, Final save game in SoA and played into ToB, etc to see if the special abilities kick in. I did this with a 23rd lvl Beserker and a 23rd lvl Beserker/Cleric as well.

It appears that the special abilities kick in when you are leveled up in the ToB. They are not retro, you start gaining abilities at whatever level you first 'level up at' in the actual ToB expansion.

Perhaps there is some catch or trick to make these abilities work at the qualifying level in SoA but I haven't come across it as of yet.

[This message has been edited by Draco Vlasavius (edited July 12, 2001).]

3. bongo tjockskalle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

so you mean that there is no point going past , for ex. lvl 23 thief before the ending of shadows of amn?

want to sit down and cry for awhile :(

bongo

4. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31

Veteran

The only advantages really are the items that you can get all the way up to the end of SoA, as well as the benifits that you get from placing the Tears of Bhaal into the Abyssal door.

So... yes I still think it's worth it for the Girdle of Stone giant Strength all the way into the Abyss to get Blackrazor (if evil) or just the +1Wis,+1Char,Immune to non-Magic Weapons,Magic Resist,etc from the Abyssal door.

Just my thought however, The special abilities come in handy, but how many does one really need to defeat ToB? To each thier own I suppose.

5. bongo tjockskalle Gems: 3/31

could you clarify this for me please!

If i play with ToB installed and starts from the beginning, and my thief has reached level 27 before the final battle in hell. Will he have missed the two abilities that he could have gained from level 25?
    hope im not to muddy

6. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31

Veteran

Exactly. That's what has happened for my characters and tests. Likewise with the example of your 27th level Thief, he would've missed out on special abilities gained between 24th level(manual's starting level for thieves)and 27th. However once you finished with Irenicus and the game starts you off in the ToB expansion, then you would qualify for special abilities upon leveling up (when you attained 28th level for instance) -although no class get's a special ability 'each' time they level up. It appears however Fighters get many more special abilities than others.

[This message has been edited by Draco Vlasavius (edited July 12, 2001).]

7. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

You get the abilities as soon as you reach high enough level once TOB is installed. It doesn't matter if you're in the SOA or TOB areas.

I installed TOB with my party in Chapter 5 of SOA. By the time I finished off all the sub-quests I could find in Chapter 6 several of my party members were just starting to get the TOB high level bonuses and I've been using them in both Chap.6&7 before I ever got to TOB.

Of course if you import a high level character you leveled up before TOB was installed you won't get the bonuses added retroactively, but there's no problem getting the abilities if you level up in BG2:SOA w/ TOB installed.

[This message has been edited by Bowie (edited July 12, 2001).]

8. bongo tjockskalle Gems: 3/31

Major Tom to ground control.
    I am glad Im a lad insane.

thanks for the clarification.
    I have planned to start a new game in the next weeks (ToB) coming here tomorrow.
    It would have bugged me a lot if I missed out just because I look in every corner of the game ánd will definitely reach level 25 before the final fight with jonny boy.

bongo bouncing off to the rythms of spiders from mars :cool:

9. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Of course, I've never used a XP cap remover. There may be issues if you install TOB over a XPcap removed game that I don't know about. But if you're starting new with TOB installed there's no need for the XPcap remover in the first place.

10. bongo tjockskalle Gems: 3/31

will you have the 8 000 000 to play with from the beginning?

(Im drooling, to bad I cant pick up my copy since Im going to the hinterlands for a week)

11. Mistyca Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Thanks a lot Bowie.....that's what i wanted to hear!!! ;)

12. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] So that's just another great news! :D :p

ToB = cheaters buster! :p

MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

XpCap remover users - you deserved it :p :D

13. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Hey, the experience cap remover isn't cheating, you just are getting the full experience. 2.95 mil was much too low, I was there in the Underdark, but 8 mil is much more reasonable for ToB. I didn't reach it so I didn't bother with the experience cap for it.

14. Extremist Gems: 31/31

XPCap remover is major cheating.

You remove it, then you get into multiplayer with me who NEVER uses it and how should I fight you? My three million XP hero against your hundred million XP hero?

Ok, I have tricks of my own, but it still remains cheating. Period.

15. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Who the heck would play multiplayer ToB anyways? I'm not talking about 100 million experience points, what I'm saying is that I want to collect all the experience I can get and not get capped at 2.95 mil. When I used the cap remover, I finished SoA at 3.5 million points. It's not like I had a bunch of level 50 people running around. I only got a level or two more. Anyways, those levels didn't get me any special abilities in SoA, so quit whinning. Level cap removers aren't cheating. Period.

[This message has been edited by Gunthar (edited July 15, 2001).]

16. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Me whining? You misunderstood something obviously.

Whatever you say, whatever you do - if it was ment not to be cheating, then Black Isle itself would allow it without third party "fixes".

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.