1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Berseker / Cleric Any good?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Ofelix, May 7, 2006.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Are they an effective asset to a party? I heard somewhere that they kick ass. I'd like a game that is Party > Enemy for a change and I heard they are powerful. I've Divine remix installed does it really change the cleric class that much?

2. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Define...powerful.

If you mean can Berserker-Clerics solo Tactics? Nope...not powerful enough.

Can they get through Tactics with a party? Probly...provided you have Korgan, Sarevok, Edwin, Imoen and Aerie in your party! :p

Berserker-Clerics are...average in terms of power compared to the other options out there. Ranger/Cleric multiclass...now THAT's powerful!! In fact, its the only powerful divine caster class in the game that is half-decently powerful apart from an FMC or MC with the XP cap off.

PS: Descriptions of power or lack thereof do NOT apply to classes based on thetruth's exploits!! That guy is insane!! :D

3. Ofelix

Media:
    I mean powerful with a party, Tashia, Immy, Jaheira, Keldorn, and Minsc

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I'd go with a Berserker->Druid, myself. Ironskins and all that.

5. Ofelix

Media:
    Mmm What are the requirement for a dual Class Druid then?

6. Felinoid

STR 15
    DEX any
    CON any
    INT any
    WIS 17
    CHA 17

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

And True Neutral alignment.

8. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

@Ofelix

If you want to use your character mainly as a cleric,then go for the dual-class.IMHO you should dual him as soon as possible (7 or 9 level) and you will have a cleric with some good fighting abilities and some excellent imunities as well (Berserker's rage + Ch.commands + Death Ward make you immune to almost anything).Also his Turn Undead ability will improve faster.

But if you want him to be a good fighter as well, then I suggest the Fighter/Cleric multi-class or even better the Ranger/Cleric (one of the most powerful characters as Faraaz said).

In both cases try to give a WIS of 18 to your character.Clerics get bonus spells for high wisdom.

9. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Berserker > Cleric is great because of the immunities you get while in Rage. It's definitely worth doing for that, plus more HP and the ability to get Grandmastery in any cleric weapons.

10. Ofelix

Media:
    Ooooo Better Clerical prowess. You've conviced me of the power of the B/C.

11. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Go to level 13 before dualling for max power. ;)

12. Ofelix

Media:
    What does a 13th level Berserker has to offer of more than a 9th level? Beside better THAC0 and HP?

13. Felinoid

An extra rage per day...oh, and an extra half-attack per round. :mommy:

14. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The bonus a berserker/cleric has that a mutli class fighter cleric doesn't have is the option to get full mastery in melee weapons, definetly a big bonus! And about not being able to sole tactics with this class, check the thread 'a cleric is having fun' where a solo cleric goes through the entire game on insane with Tactics!

15. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

As Felinoid said, it's mainly the +1/2 attack/round and the one extra Rage.THACO is not important since it will improve further from your cleric class later.

But the drawback in a 13-x dual class is that you will have to wait quite a lot, first to reach level 13 fighter and then to reactivate your first class.Also your Turn Undead ability will not be so powerful when you will really need it.
    And again I repeat that if you are looking for a good fighter at the same time, IMHO, a Fighter/Cleric (or even better a Ranger/Cleric) is a better option than the Berserker-Cleric 13-x (and with much better HLAs later).

Unfortunately without the True G.Mastery patch, G.Mastery does not make a big difference from specialization.
    Obviously Bioware thought that the true G.Mastery would "unbalance" the game, unlike other things like the power of the arcane spellcasters :rolleyes:

16. Ofelix

Media:
    I'm pretty sure I installed the True Grandmastery component of EoU. Or maybe it's just my imagination. There *is* a true GM in EoU right?

17. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yes there is, wouldn't dream about going ito this game without it! Mages can stop time, kill with a finger and masacre with just a few spells, can fighters please have some they are good at? :p

18. Ofelix

Media:
    So Far so Good with my B(9)->C(6) I'm on Nalia's Fortress and I've only done thus far Khala's Mad house and the Slavers' boat. :cool:

19. Felinoid

GM was not nerfed to prevent unbalancing of character classes (especially as you've pointed out it would do the opposite); it was nerfed because every single enemy fighter in the game has grandmastery in their weapons. They nerfed GM for the same reason they nerfed many of the ToB bosses (i.e. David Gaider's Improved Bosses), to make the game easier. I don't know why they couldn't have just made the enemy fighters have only high mastery instead of grandmastery, but...meh.

20. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

^Interesting, Fel, so this means fighter enemies in my ganme are all GMs and deadly? Wow!

Just what do you mean 'all fighter enemies?' OMG, that goblin archer is a GM in bows? :confused:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.