1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Close Shave - Near Death

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Khazraj, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] We've all had these as we've been playing. Let me know about your really close shaves.

I was playing a solo beserker druid and I waltzed into the docks and met up with the mad cleric of Cyric. (Is he just mad or is he crazy mad?) I proceed to beat him up and of course he never gets spell disruption no matter how much damage he takes. When I finally smash his head with my staff he cast hold person on me. Combat dialog says something like this

Mad cleric damage taken (5)
    Mad cleric casts Hold Person
    Mad cleric death
    PC Held

I had to get a screen shot. If that was not close...

Let me know about your situations where 1 or more party members nearly did not make it.

Cheers

2. Gladiator Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I was soloing a Cavalier, in chapter 1, and had just beaten up Mencar and his companions, with 3 HP left. So I went to the Temple next door (cant remember the deity), to get some healing.
    But when I enter, Habib tosses his coins on me, and I stand again with 1HP left.
    Just imagine that, a noble Knight, member of the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart, almost killed by a madman and his coins...

3. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] I know that the topic is about the character's near death, but I will tell you about a very strange combat .

I was fighting against Abazigal with a Kensai/Mage character.
    Abazigal was very near to his death ( "near death" )
    I stopped the time (Time Stop)
    I attacked him with Crom Faeyr and dealt him about 110 poitns damage of damage.
    When the duration of Time Stop ran out, he still lived...
    Probably a bug...

[ September 01, 2002, 19:46: Message edited by: Baronius the Sorcerer ]

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think that if you stop the time and try to kill him so it won't work. I was dealing him allot of damage (I have allot of custom items that deal tons of damage) and was also using greater whirlwind but nothing happened. I could hit him for hours and still he vould not die. Probably a bug. Try it without the time stop next time.

5. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I think that the death sequences of Abazigal are linked to dialog scripts.

Once I got the cheat deathsword that does thousands of damage per hit. I am not kidding when I say that I did approximately 50 thousand hitpoints damage to Abazigal before he changed to dragon form :eek: !

I then did a few more thousand to his dragon form before the dialog kicked in and he died. So Abazigal has how many hp?

It's sort of how you can't kill Imoen while she has her belt on. (Irenicus gave it to her).

By the way, do you have any close shave encounters?

6. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I know this isn't BG2 but I just have to share this.... When I was playing FF7, I was fighting against that guardian thing in the Shinra Mansion. Cloud got whacked, Nanaki got whacked, Aeris... gets whacked to 1 hp, and manages to throw a healing WInd on herself.... battle saved.

Close shaves in BG2? Have lots of those...

I can't remember what battle it exactly was, but my Assassin had just wasted the last one of the bad guys, when Bam! she walks into a trap. Oh yeah.... 2 HP left....

Ara
    (Head hurts, neck hurts, back hurts, life hirts... the usual)

7. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

[ September 02, 2002, 16:26: Message edited by: Rastor ]

8. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

If you do a lot of damage to abazigal(which should kill his human form) just walk away and he will turn into a dragon, this is also true for some other encounters

9. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

The same goes for trolls :( You can hit them for unlimited damage if you hit them enough often and of course they still attack. You have to leave them some time to lie down and then shot with fire ;)

Most likely its the same for other such encounters as well.

[ September 02, 2002, 22:27: Message edited by: Gothmog4230 ]

10. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Also, Ctrl+Y does not work on trolls. That's actually a pretty common bug even with creatures that don't initiate dialog upon death. The item that they use to regenerate is slightly bugged.

11. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Actually Ctrl + Y doesn't work on Trolls because it doesn't do fire/acid damage and therefor block it out

12. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Baronius, did you have the tougher Abazigal hack installed?
    Cuz it had that exact same effect to me.
    The unkillable Abazigal.

btw you can kill him before he initiates the second dialog or reaches dragon form with shapeshift mind flayer.
    It's not very usefull though

13. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] I do not like mods or non-official pacthes.
    I have ToB with the newest official patch.
    That is all.

14. Gothmog

I went throught the game without any add-ons, mods and such stuff. It was great :D

But now i'm going throught the second time and its much more fun to play a little diffrent game than the first time. I downloaded every single mod i found ;) :D :D It works great :grin: all i had to be cautious of is dialogue.tlk file

Well i think i went a little :yot: ... OK i went a lot :yot: sorry :toofar:

[ September 04, 2002, 21:00: Message edited by: Gothmog4230 ]

15. Rastor Gems: 30/31

I know that Ctrl-Y does cold damage. I guess I should have put that post into two paragraphs. The unkillable bug is caused by a regen item that some NPCs use.

Improved Abazigal is unkillable for other reasons. Since he initiates another script before he dies, he technically has an infinite number of hitpoints. I can't remember why sometimes the script fails to initiate, however. Likely for the same reason that Irenicus is sometimes unkillable.

16. Gothmog

Sorcerer casts chromatic orb on troll

Troll-Death

The party has gained Experience: 1400

Kelsey- attacks troll

Kelsey- attack roll 17-3=14 : hit

Kelsey- troll is immune to my damage

Troll- death

The party has gained experience: 1400

I got twice as XP as i should from the same troll who obviously died twice :D

17. Rastor Gems: 30/31

That happens all the time with the improved Sola mod, although I was having it with spirit trolls, so I got the 12k xp twice.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.