1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Longer Road (Jon Irenicus in ToB) mod released.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by dorotea, Aug 25, 2004.

1. dorotea Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello folks,

I am glad to announce that after almost 1.5 years in development the Longer Road mod is now available for public download.

The Longer Road mod will allow you to revive Irenicus -- your main adversary from the SoA part of the series, and take him into the party.

4 possible outcomes
    2-4 banters with each Bio original npcs (including Imoen)
    Series of conversations with PC that can lead to JI's redemption or ...much less pleasant outcome
    Extensive new quest in Watchers Keep based on PST 'Deva Spark' sourecebook

and much more!

You can download the latest version of the mod here:

http://www.onlinefiction.net/LR/LongerRoad.html

The LR mod Forum is hosted on FWS

http://forums.forgottenwars.net/index.php?s=06d4102e10bd409303e6df181e2585d3&showforum=173

Enjoy!

2. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

Downloading this now... looks interesting, I'll let you know what I think when I've excperienced some of it.

3. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Looks good. I was after a mod to give me a reason to replay BG

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Streches my imagination a bit too far; a character like that would never join your party and the NPC's would much less accept it (who tortured PC too, in the beginning).

Simply 'no way.'

5. Paine Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Then don't download it. :p

This sounds interesting. I'll have to give it a go once I'm finished with IWD2 (I should stop coming in here, now I want to play BG2 instead!).

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

@ Paine

Did I sound like I were intending to download it? :shake:

7. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I think this an interesting idea. Much like Sarevok. Despite the fact he killed your foster father, you've a chance to become good friends with him in ToB.

It'll be interesting to see how his abilities and stats have been worked out though. And, no offense, but I do hope the grammar and written form in general is handled better than in the topic post here. It was detrimental in the case of Imoen romance afterall. Even though my own literal skills are barely average (though I try to avoid mistakes in grammar), I do make a point of demanding much of that skill from those who end up writing stories.

8. dorotea Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

>And, no offense, but I do hope the grammar and written form in general is handled better than in the topic post here.

Ah, you are right -- I was in a hurry, but it is no excuse. At least unlike my original post the mod had a team of editors and proof-readers, and all of them unlike me are native english speakers. We spent 1.5 years on writing the text, and I think the grammar/spelling part was handled rather satisfactory. But if you (keeps her fingers crossed) spot any typos, please email or post in the mod forum.

9. Col. Bruce Hampton Retired Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

That's your imagination. For me, it is a flexible game and I have no problem imagining that the story is not-exactly-as-Bioware wrote it. Especially if doing so makes the game more fun or replayable.

FWIW, I'm not getting this mod cuz I'm busy with other mods right now. Maybe later.

10. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I think this mod looks interesting - although I won't be downloading it anytime soon (lousy due date for lousy thesis). I don't think it's all that unbelievable that Irenicus could work with the PC; after all, the PC has proven stronger than Jon, and to be honest, I actually feel sorry for him (though not for his sister, Bodhi - and I think that relationship drew on some pretty olde worlde stereotypes, but that's not the issue here). His Tree Of Life dialogue was pretty heartfelt for a merciless, emotionless destroyer, I think it was something like:

Sure, it doesn't make him a nice guy, it won't change him, but his thirst for power is the only thing he has left, the only thing that can save him from his inevitable death. Once he has lost that, he'll need to find another reason to exist.

11. Thyorna Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I thought that there was already a mod, the ascension add-on Redemption, that dealt the the redemption, makes sense doesn't it, of Irenicus. Secondly I think i might download it, but how buggy is it, or have you pretty much worked through them all?

12. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Eh. The redemption mod you're talking about is limited to the final battle in ToB. I tried it and it was ok, but I was expecting more from it than just a little add-on to the final fight of the story. So these two mods can hardly be compared with each other, save the potential ending Irenicus has in store for him perhaps.

If you want to try it, go ahead. At least I spotted no bugs in it and the text was ok.

13. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

As i downloaded your mod I saw something about a mod called "Ascension". What is the jist of that and is there a link in SP or somewhere i could download it? I just started playing BG2:SoA again and i haven't read the board for a little while now.

I'm going to the BG2 section in 'Games' and check out if there is anything new in the various sections for me to download. If information regarding 'Ascension' is there then disregard my questions about it above.

UPDATE- I found out the answers after a little sniffing no need to fill me in, I had no idea how much has been added! Sweetness......

Boo thinks Sauron the Puppy is just ducky! :)

[ August 26, 2004, 09:56: Message edited by: Sauron the Puppy ]

14. jcompton Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Same author. In fact, until just before its release this mod was being called "Redemption: The Longer Road" but for some reason the "Redemption" brand appears to have been dropped.

15. Paine Gems: 4/31

@Wirhe

Sorry dude, didn't mean to snark on you. I just have a bad pet peeve about folks passing judgment on stuff, particularly fan works, before playing/reading/whatever it.

I mean hell if you can get Sarevok, and *turn him good* even, I don't think Jonny boy is that big of a stretch.

But hey whatever floats yer boat (or doesn't). ;)

16. jcompton Gems: 9/31

Not everybody finds that a terribly inspired or believable bit of plot, either. :)

17. SimDing0 Gems: 9/31

There are probably also a few select cases of people passing negative judgement AFTER they've looked at it! :confused:

18. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

I'll second that; Sarevok was the nemesis of BG1 that did not only murder your father, but also tried to do the same to your half-sister, you, and everyone related to you. He practically wanted your whole family to die a gruesome death, so bringing him back again and again (and again, if you have Ascension :rolleyes: ) is just plain irritating.

Now, the same applies to Irenicus, but he did not "only" try to do that: he also tortured you and your party, killed some of your friends, and tried to destroy a whole city. Then... allow him to join? A bit too thick for me. :lol:

19. Paine Gems: 4/31

@jcompton: Not everyone thinks it was an awful idea either (well, maybe everyone but me then :p ). I liked it in principle, I guess 'cause I like just Sarevok, but I think the execution of it was flawed (I thought the way he was brought back was fairly cheesy). It just seemed too rushed, like they just cranked it out with a minimum of thought and effort put into the writing which is a complaint I have about ToB in general.

I try to keep an open mind about mods. Unless it's reported to be buggy as hell or deals with a character or feature I'm not particularly interested in (the Immy romance for instance), I will probably try it at least once. In a sense it's like fanfic, I like to see people's takes on things, whether or not I agree with the concept.

As to whether or not it's plausible that Charname would welcome Sarevok or Irenicus into the group...really, you could argue back and forth about it (and I see both sides of the argument), but at the end of the day it's the player that determines Charname's beliefs, actions, and personality. You can roleplay it however you want. It's one of the reasons I like the BG games so much. Your vision of Charname might be appalled by the very suggestion of allying with old arch-enemies--especially considering the crimes both men committed against Charname and others--but I'm not opposed to the idea in principle. It would have to depend on the execution. I tend to play Charname as a basically good person but world-weary and somewhat cynical, someone whose actions are often seen as an enigma to others because although she is moral and is in touch with her feelings, she is ultimately pragmatic (I say her because most of the time I play female PCs). She hates Sarevok for what he's done, considers him extremely dangerous and does not trust him for a second, but she also pities him because she knows that without Gorion's influence that could well have been her (particularly in light of the retconning we are given in ToB). She initially agreed to Sarevok's deal just to keep an eye on the bastard because he's far too dangerous to allow him to go off on his own without any oversight. Things progressed and she was able to influence him. You might not find it realistic, but it jives with how I play the character.

By the same token my version of Charname would probably take Irenicus along for many of the same reasons, even though the circumstances are somewhat different. You might think my Charname is off her rocker (sometimes I even do). But, even in real life you can take two people who have gone through the exact same experience, and they can come out of it with two totally differing POVs on it. I think the myriad of ways you can play through the BG games is a testament to that, and I think it enriches the gaming experience. Anything fan-made which is well-written and adds to that only adds to the fun. As always, YMMV.

20. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Hey! Anyone remember Lavok?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.