1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wanted: Imagination!

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Masher, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Masher Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] We all know there are items out there that SHOULD have been in this game. I want them too! What I need all you clever people to do is to come up with item names and descriptions (and perhaps histories) for use with ToB. Preferably nothing stupid like Nuclear Sword +99 or Longbow "Apache" (fires 1500 shots/round and is a helicopter for easy travel :p), but just suggest anything and I will consider it ;)

Eventually they'll get included in a new store for ToB section only (location, location, location!), but if I get enough feedback I may consider a SoA store.

(Semi-Serious Note for Extremist: I consider this a replacement for the Bonus Merchants - providing new and interesting NON-overpowered items. Your input would be appreciated. ;) :D :p )

*Now that I think about it, the helicopter might work since it would be non-magical... :money:

Maybe not.

[EDIT:]
    STOP...
    Since posting I have seen that someone has already requested suggestions for SoA. I'll go ahead for ToB anyway though, so...
    ...CARRY ON

[This message has been edited by Masher (edited April 03, 2002).]

2. Pyro Gems: 5/31

You to wanna buy some imagination? :) If you make a tob store you could perhaps modify the smith that makes the adam golem suit to sell things to or something. Ive got some (crappy) ideas for items:

The eye of vecna (ioun stone)

This artifact was a part of the famous lich Vecna and is among the most powerfull items in existence. Altough you admit to having a real eye floating around your head makes you a little uneasy, the fact that you can see through illusions keeps you safe from would be assassins.

Armor class bonus: 2
    Slot: Head (ioun stone)
    Equiped abbilities: True sight
    Usuable by: Mage/sorcerer
    *Really expensive item*

Armor of Vhailor (item from planescape)

This plate was in a way part of the warrior Vhailors "body". When Vhailor was destroyed seeking justice under the command of an entity called "the Nameless one" the armor absorbed most of the spirits power. Some side effects of this is that only the rightous may use this, and those using it feel closer to the ethereal planes.

Armor class: -3
    Immune to fear
    Constituation -1
    Only used by Lawfull good
    only used by warriors
    Full plate mail
    *expensive item*

Not exactly the best ideas (and not very original exactly) ever really but they could be cool.

3. Xenomorph Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The eye of Vecna is a good idea but I think it should be more powerful but with a downside(cursed). If only I had my Encyclopedias of Magica with me, unfortunately my friend borrowed them and he is in another city:(. Anyway, I was disappointed that there were no stonger bracers of defence even AC 2.

4. Masher Gems: 5/31

Thanks for your suggestions... I especially like the Bracers AC 2 - they'll be in in some form or other.

5. Seleena Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Want something interesting? try a shortsword or a dagger that has some useful purposes, extra spells/ invis/ incr thief abilities, that has something near useful damage against real enemies. even if it means not wearing anything but magical protection or normal robes or leather armor. would a lvl 20+ char risk no armor for a really fun weapon? maybe letting the char have a magical perk too, spell shield, misderection. would make tob interesting...

6. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

How about some *really* nice shields for Paladins. Then you've got the dilemma of whether to go for Carsomyr + Eye of Tyr, or take the shield. Maybe you could even make the shield upgradeable with Eye of Tyr.

7. Masher Gems: 5/31

Good, good, keep it up...

/me scribbles notes

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Ironbeard, isn't there this wonderful bastard sword "The Purifier", great alternative to Carsomyr ;) Excellent Choice IMO :) And iirc there is the shield of righteousness +4 (+1 on all saves). Perfect combination for any pally, just drop the shield when you want offensive punch rather than protection. But I agree - an upgradeable version of that shield would have been cool, maybe giving additional 10% MR and/ or increasing the ST bonus on +2.

• Holy avenger shortsword +4 "Wrath of Arvoreen" (by upgrading Mazzy's sword with the eye of Tyr or better, a new Gem of Arvoreen ;) )

Given to the champions of the halfling trueswords by the valiant defender of the halfling race this mighty weapon has often be used to fight the evil on Faerun.

When Orog raiders threatened his settlement the halfling truesword Biggo Maggot hurried into battle on his warpony. The renowned captain of this warband, named Krushnik was of huge size and he laughed about Maggot when he squeaked: "Leave our lands and we will not kill you all!" Krishnak eventually stopped laughing about the size of the hero when Maggot had copped off Krishnaks legs on knee's height. His band fled in terror and they were annihilated in the following pursuit when halfling slingers and Maggot with the wrath of Arvoreen held bloody harvest among them.
      The blade of this weapon is never spoiled by the blood shed with it.

Statistics:

Equipped Abilities:
      The sword gives the grants the wielder free movement, protection from charm and protection from fear. Wielder also may cast smithe evil on caster level once per day

THACO: +4
      Damage: 1D6 +4, +5 vs. CE enemies
      Damage type: slashing
      Weight: 4
      Speed Factor: 0, -2 vs. CE enemies
      Proficiency Type: shortsword
      Type: 1-Handed
      Requires 12 Strength
      Usable by LG halfling fighters and halfling paladins only

• "Dagger of the cutpurse +3":

Description:
      The skillfull halfling pickpocket Odo Swifthand would have been forgotten, had he not used this dagger as a worktool. Since he earned his keep and more as a cutpurse extraordinaire he soon recognised the need for an appropiate tool for the job and ordered this dagger from a mage of his thief guild.

Statistics:

Equipped Abilities:
      +15 to pick pockets, free movement
      Can cast mislead/ shadow door (or better: haste for 10 seconds - mislead it too offensive) once per day - as a help to escape at need.

THACO: +3
      Damage: 1D4 +3
      Damage type: piercing
      Weight: 1
      Speed Factor: 0
      Proficiency Type: dagger
      Type: 1-Handed
      Requires 4 Strength
      Usable by thiefs only

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited April 07, 2002).]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  9. Mirkwood Guest

Club of Whacking
    On first glance this club seems to be simply a piece of two-by-four with some rusty nails hammered into it, but on closer inspection it's true power is revealed... it is indeed a piece of two-by-four with some rusty nails hammered into it! Nevertheless it is still very effective in beating the crap out of things.

STATISTICS:
    Equipped Ability: sets INT to 1
    THAC0: +5
    Damage: 1D6 +10
    Damage type: crushing
    Weight: 3
    Speed Factor: 4
    Proficiency Type: Club
    Type: 1-handed
    Requires: 5 Strength
    Not Usable By:

10. Desu Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

really rofl.

Brilliant item!

That should also be included in the Bonus Merchant Packs ;)

11. Masher Gems: 5/31

Excellent, that should be enough to get started...

Now for a new item of furniture for my room:

"The seat of power"

STATISTICS:
    Equipped Ability: casts Time Stop when sat on
    THAC0: N/A
    Damage: 1D2
    Damage type: crushing
    Weight: 10
    Speed Factor: 9
    Proficiency Type: Chair
    Type: 4-legged
    Requires: Laziness
    Not Usable By: Real People

(So I have enough time to get this done soonish!)

12. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

lol....the club of wacking and seat of power are priceless! That seat must be like my couch:

Couch of Absorbtion

STATISTICS:
    Equipped Ability: sets MOVEMENT to 0, Casts Darkness 3x day, cast silence 3x day, Improved Invisilibity 3x day. Power Word Sleep 5x day.
    THAC0: no bonus, but can hit any creature regrdless of special protections (ie only hit by +3 or better weapons)
    Damage: 1D6
    Special: can smother opponents on critial hit, Damage type: crushing
    Weight: 80
    Speed Factor: 10
    Proficiency Type: Club
    Type: 2-handed
    Requires: 0 Strength
    Not Usable By:

13. yappie! Guest

[​IMG] On a more serious note,in reference to the Eye Of Vecna above, we would have this:

Hand Of Vecna

After being severed from the Great Lich's arm, the Hand Of Vecna lives on as though power never faded from it's mummified corpse. Able to call on the most powerful spells, this is indeed an artefact of great power.

STATISTICS

Special: Can cast any Spell from levels 6-9,
    three times per day. (choose like Nahal's Reckless Dweomer - but no Wild Magic)

Charges: 3/day
    Type: Wand
    Weight: 5
    etc
    etc

[edit]
    Now that i think of it... You should be able to get Cespenar or to upgrade the Robe, Eye and Hand of Vecna once you have them all.
    (from a recipe he learnt by Vecna himself while visiting Bhaal - for Vecna is a god right?)
    Now that IS a good idea! They could be upgraded as following:

Robe
    Spell casting speed decreased by a further -1
    Pause between casting spells decresed by -1

Eye
    Able to use Clairvoyance 2/per day
    True Sight now at 5/per day

Hand
    Any Spell level, 5/per day

this should cost a huge amount, like 50,000gp
    or something similarly large.

[This message has been edited by yappie! (edited April 10, 2002).]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  14. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    How about a wizardslayer sword. Not one that can only be used by that kit, but one that would be something like this:

Wizard's Bane

Longsword or scimitar or anything more practical.

+2 to hit, +3 versus magic users
    damage: 1d8+2(+3 vs. mages)
    special damage: 25% chance to negate mages protective magic on successful hit (as breach or secret word or remove magic spells)
    damage type: slashing
    Weight: 5
    speed: 2
    proficiency: long sword
    type" 1-handed

not usable by mages or clerics or dual class mages or clerics

Equipped Abilities: Sword gives user 10% (or more if too low) magic resistance

What do you think?

[This message has been edited by Sir Belisarius (edited April 11, 2002).]

15. Masher Gems: 5/31

Like the couch... lol ;)
    Anyway, if you're after a Mageslayer, Sir Bel, then there's one included in one of the Team BG mods called... Mageslain.
    (I think you can download it separately.)

*Edit: oops, after investigating, it seems it's wizardslayer only... I'll see what I can do.

[This message has been edited by Masher (edited April 13, 2002).]

16. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Masher - I got your email...Thanks again! I just might start a new game this weekend...Fun, fun!

17. theholygit Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I created an item once that was extremely annoying on the net.
    It was a large glowing yellow quarter staff, and when it would hit someone it would polymorph them into a chicken.
    I annoyed alot of people on the net with that. Hit them on multiplayer and they were chickens. Hehehehe....

Oh i made a set of armour especialy for my mage theif. Adds two extra spells to level 1 2 and 3 in spell book, allows casting in armour and increases stealth and pickpocket rate by 20%.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.