1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I can't get rid of BG2! (uninstallation problems)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Errol, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] When I tried to uninstall BGII:ToB, something strange happened. Usually, Throne of Bhaal uninstalls, then Shadows of Amn uninstalls. Yet, when ToB had finished, It went back to windows, and a "Uninstall Shadows of Amn" shortcut icon was created on my desktop. I went to my Black Isle folder, Soa, and there was only one file in there, the Baldur.ini file. I went to Add/Remove programs, tried removing BG2, but all that removed was the "Uninstall" shortcut icon!

I tried re-installing BG2 now, but it still seems to think I have BG2 on my system (ie. It says "Play" instead of "Install"). When I explore and click Setup.exe, nothing happens. When I click Play, nothing happens.

I tried deleting it all from my black isle folder, but nothing happens now either. Is there any way I can delete it from the registry or something?

Help needed!

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Try installing ToB again, then uninstalling it all.

I have to do that for my Sims games.

3. Blast Skeleton Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

4. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Add/Remove programs should be able to remove the registry entry for you, you don't need a reg cleaner.

If you've got Norton, you can use that to remove the registry entry.

5. Errol Gems: 23/31

8Peeps, I've tried already. Didn't work (ie. there is still something left preventing me from installing BG2:SoA again).

Rastor, Add/Remove programs did open up the uninstall box (and uninstalled "stuff"), but again, there is still something stopping me installing it again.

Blast Skeleton, thanks, I'll give it a try.

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I meant ToB without SoA.

It's the blutac principle:
    Pull it off soemthing and it might leave some behind, so you put it back on to pick the bits up.

7. Errol Gems: 23/31

8People, I know!
    I installed ToB, without SoA, uninstalled, but there is still something there that prevents me installing SoA. It thinks it is still on my system. I removed everything from the registry to do with Black Isle, but it still wont work!

HELP!

8. GI Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Open the registry editor, then delete anything that relate to Baldur's Gate II, works for me.

Hope this help.

9. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] Have you tried running Defrag?

I think this problem is the same one myfriend had, I phoned him up and he said he fixed it with defrag.

10. Errol Gems: 23/31

GI, I said:
    8People, link?

11. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] defrag? In system tools. On your computer.

12. Errol Gems: 23/31

[​IMG] Ah :D

13. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Try doing a search for lost clusters too. There might be something there messing around with the registry.

If all else fails, manually delete everything relating to BG2 and see if that helps.

14. Errol Gems: 23/31

[​IMG] Rastor, I'm one step ahead of you. I tried deleting everything in the registry with Black Isle in it, plus Soa Baldurs Gate or whatever. Nothing. The game still comes up with "Play" rather than "Install".

The only thing I can think of is a HD format.

15. arlecchino Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ive had this problem too. For months now. I just gave up after a while. I didnt want to go through with the HD format. I was worried about losing a bunch of stuff. Keep us posted on your progress.

16. Trimm Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I have experienced the same problem trying to uninstall/reinstall it. Your Autorun feature in Windows is turned off. In order to reinstall it manually ,place Disc 1 in the D drive. Next go to Start/Find/Files or Folders. Search the D drive for a file named "baldur.exe", double-click on that file and the installization will begin automatically. I have to do this every time simply because I don't like the Autorun feature.

[ October 06, 2003, 09:09: Message edited by: Trimm ]

17. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hmmm...If cleaning up your registry, and defraging your pc won't fix the problem, I would just reformat the hard drive. I reformat mine at least twice a year. You *DO* have everything backed up right? :rolling:

18. Serpent Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

This problem has been discussed previously. Check this site:
    http://www.bioware.com/bgate2/bg2issues.shtml
    I hope you'll find a solution there.

I had the same problem some time ago. You need to modify the baldur.ini file and then you can sucessfully uninstall the game. You should find the nessecary instructions from that site. ;)

19. Errol Gems: 23/31

[​IMG] Trimm, I'd just like to add that when you click on Baldur.exe in the CD1 drive, you get the same screen as on the AutoRun. No difference. Silly :p

Arachnis, I'd just like to say thankyou for saving me from backing up 60GB of data! :thumb: That link was excellent, top stuff.

1. Edit the system registry using the regedit utility. Remove the following keys under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\":
    BG2Main.exe
    bg2ep202.exe

That's all I needed to do.
    I love you! :D

20. xar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Something similar happened to me, my suggestion is similar to Trimm's one but I would explore CD1 and click on SETUP icon.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.