1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Are familiars worth it?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by stormhand, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I tried to do that with my Vanilla thief -- 3 Times -- before completing the Underdark and the spell just fizzeled on all occasions. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Definetally get a familiar, you get the HP bonus, and they can do some pretty cheesy stuf (such as smuggling drow armour, the Rift device, Item carrier etc), well the ferret can anyway.

If you really dont like wasting the inventory space, leave them behind somewhere (when you recieve an item the item in your fist inventory slot falls to the ground)

2. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

No, IMO they aren't worth it... In the later stages you would have to go aroung rotecting that little bastard... :D

3. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Why would you need to protect it? If you don't want the skills then just keep it for the hp bonus and put it in your inventory. The only other reason to use it would be for scouting, thieving or pickpocketing when the danger ot it is minimal.

4. Rewisuk Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] You have just got to get a familiar!!!

A-they are cute and fun to have
    B-You get xtra hps(always handy!!)
    C-Some of them have cool abilities(Like the cat with 99% stealth, ac 0 and 50% magic resistance!!!)

The cat is chaotic nuetral by the way, and I think this is the best familiar because it doesn't need too much protecting. I also like the fairy dragon. Warning!!!! Do not use the dust mephit because it has really bad abillities and is weak.

5. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

The ferret is pretty cool too (LN). The rabbit has some nice abilities, but who wants a bunnt and who plays a TN mage?

6. Nildar Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I usually play a Neutral Good character and so get a Pseudo Dragon, are they actually any good?

7. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

They are one of the best offensive familiars, but would you use them this way? I would say no, just keep it for the hp - but it does look cute though!!

8. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

1- Any familiar with pickpocket skill can be used to strip items OFF you. That means you can set your armor and weapons on the ground, then have your familiar pickpocket you to stow a few items in your familiar's inventory. Familiars have an inventory the same number of slots as your own...who needs to cheat bags!?!

2- The invisibility 10' radius cast by my familiar has saved my party on several games.

3- Using a stealthy familiar as a spotter for simulacrums, etc is a very handy tactic.

4- Familiars are very fast and can explore a large area quickly. Their speed can be used to allow them to safely lure monsters to your ambush site.

5- No. 1 cause of death is running out of hit points. Familiars give you more hit points.

9. Demogorog Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Of course are they worth it. While soloing its always good to have one with a few thief abilitys and the HP-bonus is good to have.

10. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] They're just a bit of fun. And you can always use the console to get them in your inv instead.

FAMFAIR is the stringref, then save and load and it will be the familiar for your alignment.

11. RX2000 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I agree with what some people above have posted.

Familiars most definitely ARE worth it. You get extra hp and all you lose is 1 inventory slot. It REALLY doesnt even make a difference after you find the Bag of Holding.

You should, obviously, NEVER let it die. If you have one that can turn invisible, you can use it to scout and stuff, but as soon as enemies are spotted, bring him back and put him in your pack. Its kind of a "Duh" thing to me really, to use familiars. Free hp, who can say no?

12. Seayer

Seayer In giving to another, you benefit yourself Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I myself appreciate having a familiar, one thing though, I had a cat searching for traps in the graveyard district where Korgan wants you to go to find Kaza's Tome??, the familiar found a flesh-to-stone trap without setting the undead in the area in motion, but ALSO failed its saving throw and was turned to stone! I kept the extra hit points, but had a stoned furball, could not cast to get another familiar, and afterwards, I used a stone-to-flesh spell, and the familiar became aggressive! So, my thought, they are great to have, but if you want to use them on the outside as your other NPC's, protect them as you would a child!!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.