1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Most useful spell levels

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by casey, Apr 26, 2004.

1. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

What in your opinions, would be the most useful spells in the game? For me I would have to say level 2-5 has to be the most useful for me in SoA and ToB, mainly because of the fireball, skulltrap, greater malison, breach, confusion, breach and web spells, I would have picked something like level 8-9 for Abi-Dalzims, Chain contingency and Time-stop but to be honest I find these spells unless soloing come in too late to be of much use, as powerful as they are it's nothing that Keldorn with a couple of fighters and 4,000,000 EXP and GWW cannot handle with ease, and these lower level spells can be very helpful if used correctly and maybe with a greater malison first very few enemies even in ToB can save against a web, or confusion spell, which happens to be my usual tactic for the marching mountain giants. True I could just use the ultimate timestop + improved alacricity of cheese combo and blow them all away with some high level spells but my way works just as effective and saves high level spells for the harder fights.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 45 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Most useful spell levels (45 votes.)

Most useful spell levels (Choose 1)
    * 1 - 11% (5)
    * 2 - 0% (0)
    * 3 - 7% (3)
    * 4 - 13% (6)
    * 5 - 38% (17)
    * 6 - 11% (5)
    * 7 - 7% (3)
    * 8 - 4% (2)
    * 9 - 9% (4)

2. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Magic Missles baby. Oh Yeah... ;) :cool:

3. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Any Level 6 spell makes my day. Conjuration rules.

4. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I voted for lvl 6. Its the best spell level there is!! Mislead, Improved Haste, Contingency, Protection from Magic Weapons, Death Spell (for summons), Tenser's Transformation, True Sight...Need I say more?

After level 6 though, I'd have to say level 5 is where its at, with Breach, Cloudkill, Animate Dead, Sunfire, Cone of Cold, Spell Immunity, Lower Magic Resistance...its the most useful spells in the game in a neat bracket...

5. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

5. Breach is pretty much all I use...

6. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] True Sight is what I have Keldorn for, so I voted level 5 because of Breach. But I'm a Magic Missile lover, too!

7. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I used to hate level 6 but now I rate it (and level 4) the most important.

8. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

For me, the choice lies between level 3 and 5. I think I favor 3 a bit more because of Fireball, Flame Arrow, Minute Meteors, Lightning bolt, Skull Trap, Haste, Slow, Dispel/Remove Magic, and the cheapest possible create fodder spell - Monster Summoning 1.

9. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

Mordy's sword, project image, finger of death, mass invisibility -- you do the math. It was a close call with breach, animate dead and spell immunity at fifth, though.

10. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I'd go for level 5 and 4 followed by 6.

Breach is my most used spell, stoneskin second and death spell third.

11. RangerFox Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I'm going to say level 4, it seems to me the level with the biggest selection of useful spells.

Farsight, Fireshield, Greater Malison, Ice Storm, Improved Invisibility, Minor Sequencer, Spirit Armor, Stoneskin

12. Rudiger Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

For me, its got to be level four.
    stoneskin and salt, um, I mean greater malison, are, by a distance, the two spells I'd least like to be without. Sure there's other stuff that's cooler, but in terms of utility those two take an awful lot of beating.

13. people person-i eat people Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

i would have to say 5 because of the soo many useful spells and since i recently did a solo mage (im writing a walkthrough as well, a big one!!!!) the level 5 spells saved my butt so many times by stuff like breach, spell immunity, minor spell turning (in the beginning) animate dead, cloudkill, chaos, cone of cold, basically most spells in there are useful except i did not find the summon lesser elementals very good.
    Note: another brilliant one LOWER RESISTANCE especially since going solo mage :D
    fine ill name the other useful ones like protection from normal weapons (because a lot of monsters are surprisingly using non-magical weapons and if you cast protection from Magical Weapons then your out of luck :D ) also shadow door and sunfire were useful (yes i realised i used a LOT of level 5 spells, but it is because i used the slightly cheesy delete spell, learn another spell for a small amount of time and then delete and learn from scroll, ect...)

14. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    My favourite is level 5. I found breach to be invaluable in mage battles, and cloudkill was always fun. After that I'd say either level 7 or level 8.

15. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I hate level five, but I love level 4. I also hate level 2 in priest spells as well as level 1.

After 28 votes, none have voted for level 2.

16. Winterine Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Still no one voted for level 2. I wonder why :rolleyes: Just about the only spell I ever use in level 2 is mirror image. I voted level 5, though it was a difficult choice. I'm of the same thinking as Tassadar.

17. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

About the only level 2 spell that I ever use is Melf's Acid Arrow to kill trolls.

Tassadar and Winterine seem to have hit the nail on the head with the best spells.

Horrid Wilting is about the only spell that I use in ToB.

18. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

Don't "knock" level 2 too badly, especially if you are soloing. How else are you going to open all those locked items? And both invisibility and detect invisibility are also quite useful, as is resist fear. Then there's detect evil, which will tell you a lot about types and numbers of enemies hidden in the fog of war. I use that one all the time. And Melf's is great for recurring damage to disrupt spell casting.

19. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Level 7 and up for me. I basicly only use magic missles until I start getting level 6 spells. :rolling:

20. Rilfaine Nightbreeze Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting. Need I say more? :cool:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.